Good Luck Mountain and Lake Trail

Good Luck Mountain and Lake Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Caroga, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 918 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

About 3 inches of snow on the ground. I hiked almost all the way bare boot but put micros on and wished I did earlier. Most of the mud and water is frozen. Saw lots if tracks (deer, rabbit and mice or small bird. Near the summit I picked up fresh bear track. Nice views on top. A bit windy but otherwise a nice hike.

Very very wet and muddy. The leaves made it a bit slippery too, but it was a nice veiw at the top.

Pretty decent hike, went with a group of 8. Heard a lot about it being muddy and while it was, it was definitely manageable. Be on the lookout for the markers, there are many paths cleared out, so it can be confusing, had to backtrack once. Hike was just under 5 miles round trip. Last mile or so it was steep but totally worth it for the view on top.

I underestimated the reviews saying how muddy it was so my dogs and I had some very muddy feet at the end. For a lot of it, you can find new little trails off to the sides of the main path to avoid the mud. The end of it gets much steeper up to the cliffs but the view from the top of the cliffs is worth it. My recording was about accurate for the distance but there are plenty of connecting trails if you want to hike for longer. If it weren’t so difficult to deal with the mud, I would have loved to go back and would have given a better rating.

The hike is 5.5 miles.

Prepare for mud and muck!! There’s lots of mud on the trail leading to the ascent. The ascent is steep but is less than a mile. I’d recommend bringing a pole or stick to aid your way down. The views were beautiful!! There’s also cave like rock fixtures on the way up! So cool!

My review from 2018 is more detailed. Since last year, the only thing that has changed in the trail is the sign pointing to Good Luck Cliffs, which is set lower than the previous ones I’ve included a pic. Nice hike or trail run, and good views from the cliffs.

The first half is a nice easy walk with a great stop at the lake. Climbing up and then down the mountain is quite challenging, but very worth it for the view. Best mountain I’ve hiked here in ADK.

Buggy at the beginning but they don’t stay past the lake. This map takes you to the cliffs so if you follow the signs towards there and turn right at the bridge you’ll be set. Loved the top, very peaceful and lots of room to explore.

Trail very easy to follow, not muddy at all but there was not a lot of rain before we went, nice hike

I thought this trail was pretty easy to follow but maybe it's because I had read the reviews here about missing the turn so made sure to pay more attention at the bridge. It seemed to be well marked and not too muddy as of yesterday.

Visited after completing Kane Mountain about 30 minutes earlier. Found the parking area and trailhead with no problem. Trail was very muddy and people not wanting to walk through the mud have eroded a wide berth on either side - which is unfortunate. We swung by the lake but there was no way to access it without walking through about 50 yards of mud and muck, and it wasn't clear how deep the mud eventually got. Completely missed the trail after checking out the lake as it appears many others have (and the only other couple we passed on the snowmobile trail also did), and ended up taking a 1.5-mile detour down the snowmobile path (still marked with blue blazes) until finally we realized the GPS was accurate and we were way off course. It was a nice, flat, scenic detour, but added a lot of extra time and walking onto our already tired bodies. Once we got back on the right trail, it was almost instantly a steep climb. Not as muddy, but a 3/4-mile steep ascent to the top. The views were worth it, but we were gassed, low on water, and dreading the descent. The descent was marked well until we got back to where we took the wrong trail earlier, and then there were no markings aside from the intersection where Dexter Lake Trail veers off and the trail log is located. Overall a tougher-than-expected hike due to already having hiked Kane earlier and the day and getting way off course before we started the ascent. Bugs were not bad at all on the climb but on the flat parts of the trail they were ferocious.

I found the trail to be well-marked overall if you also had the map from here as an accompaniment. The trail was very wide and flat for the first mile or so but extremely muddy. It veers to the right just before the trail dips into a ravine with a bridge, so be sure to follow the blue markers. From here, the trail becomes much more narrow and steep but manageable. The trail markers are much more frequent and I only got lost once where a tree had collapsed onto the trail. The view from the top was spectacular. Where the trail dips off towards the lake, there was some sort of encampment that was very eerie... definitely didn’t make me want to stay for long. The whole trail was extremely buggy.

Completed several times and throughout the year the trail is constantly muddy but the cliffs are very cool the lake has good views and in general the trail is nice though steep in some sections and it is easy to miss a turn

Besides missing the turn by the lake, the hike was incredible. I would say parts are little more difficult than moderate. There's a beautiful spot at the top that would make a great camping spot for the night with an incredible view.

Quite muddy on the trail with some big mud holes in the first mile. After that the trail is a creek all the way down to the lake. It is still quite muddy with some ice patches on the way up.

What an awesome hike! The summit is amazing. The trail has been freshly marked with trail markers so it's really easy to follow now. Just past the trail leading down to Good Luck Lake is Where you bear to the right, you'll see a sign about 10 ft. up in tree for "Good Luck Cliffs"

Fri Dec 28 2018

Very pretty hike in the winter! Look for the teeny tiny sign before the bridge that leads you to the cliffs!! That makes the hike! It is a bit intense with ice and snow but well worth it!!!