Gleasmans Falls Trail

Gleasmans Falls Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lowville, New York that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

We just moved here from Colorado (and yes, we’re spoiled rotten), so we can only give 4 stars because the views are really really nice, but not the awe inspiring vistas you get out West. The waterfall and the little mini-gorge it sits in area nice reward at the end of a hot 4th of July hike (90+ degrees and humid)...gotta give props to the hikers that can still have fun when they’re just big bags of sweat :)
Good tree coverage throughout killed the breeze but saved us from baking in the mid-day sun.
Don’t miss the beaver pond about a mile in...you can see the lodge about 120 meters from the bridge.
Not many critters other than chippies, but did see a couple of small friendly snakes.
Might be muddier after a rain but we didn’t have any problem keeping our feet clean — thanks to the folks that laid boards or branches.
It was a little buggy, but they were mostly the buzzy kind not the bitey kind.
The drive to the trail head? No challenge at all for a high clearance vehicle, slow down for potholes in a sedan.
Happy Birthday America!

Great trail. My fusion hybrid made it just fine down the road. There are a lot of other trails on the way as well. Beautiful views and a great hike.

Awesome trail! Not sure I would take a car on Beach Mill Road to get to the trail head. It's a good 3 mile drive in. Lots of pot holes and water holes. Trail is easy to find. We worried about hunters as muzzleloading season opened yesterday (and had a large dog with us). Didn't run into any. A couple little camp site areas on the way. And note when you get to the falls to keep walking. There are more falls ahead! We turned around when we got to the flatland water. Great trail for dogs with some water areas for them to drink. Or play :). There is a sign in book further away from the trail head. Trail is totally covered in leaves so a bit slippery in areas. Ran into a few people on our way in with their dog and one on our way out. Also noticed off beach mill road a few extra trails that we didn't realize Cleveland lake, Payne & procession if I recall) and will look into doing next time. Very beautiful and worth while!! A few "steep" areas but nothing close to a high peak. We didn't have an issue with bugs as it was humid yesterday. Totally worth doing!!

I don't know why anyone would give this trail less than five stars. I loved it. No traffic noise, waterfalls at the end of the trail, and total solitude. I am definitely going back.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Very beautiful trail! Good for beginners, I brought my wife and my dog and everyone had a great time. My only complaint will be that in some areas the trail was hard to find. The hike can take as long as you want it too. There is a nice area next to the falls where you can sit and hangout and possibly have a meal. Enjoy!

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Trail can be tricky to find, down a long, single lane dirt road. But there are adequate signs to indicate Beach Mill Rd, and it dead ends at the trail head. My Honda mini van handled it without issue, though there were places I had to creep. There are no signs for Gleasman Falls, the trail head sign indicates 2.6 miles to Independance River (where the falls are) or you can continue on to Panther Pond (9.3 miles). We hiked with two adults and 5 kids, aged 9 to 2. The trail is easy enough to follow that the 6 yr olds were often ahead out of site with no problem. There are several small streams to cross, where sneakers were tricky and some of the kids needed to be carried over, but a good pair of hiking boots was adequate for all we crossed. The 4 year old walked all the way in and was carried out, the 2 year old walked 1/3 of the trail in and was carried out. We averaged a stroll pace with little legs and about 40 minute break at the falls, for a 5 hr total hike. Remote enough to be an adventure, easy to follow and find the trail so it was comfortably safe for the littles. I can't speak to the bugs, as we went on 11/18/16, and there were no bugs. We did see some hunters, but had no issue as we planned ahead and were wearing bright safe clothing. We had a nice visit with them on the way out.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

This was a great hike! Perfect for a quick 2.5 hour (round trip; 5.2 miles total) hike. The falls at the end of the hike are so worth it and looking forward to visiting them again. The hike was very easy with a handful of small hills.

Monday, October 10, 2016

This seems to be a hidden gem about 20 min from Lowville. The trail is about 6-7 miles, but not difficult. The falls at the end are worth getting to in what seems to be the middle of nowhere. I caution anyone without an SUV or truck: there are ~3 miles of almost one-way dirt road to get to trailhead parking. You might also run into riders on horses in the way, so be careful and courteous! I plan on bringing our dog here when she's a little older. There is a bridge with small gaps in the woodwork that furry friend paws might get stuck in, but otherwise, I think the trail should be good for dogs.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Easy walk with changing scenery along the way. Look just off the trail for interesting mushrooms growing on fallen trees, and salamanders among the leaf litter. The falls are nice too.

Monday, September 19, 2016

The road to the trailhead was not nearly as bad as previous reviews make it seem. I made it back fine in a car the day after a big rain. Just take it slow and use your head. Trailhead was easy to find. No specific sign for the falls but it's the obvious trail leading out of the lot. The hike itself was nice. Not too hard not too easy. Falls were great. Make sure you keep hiking the trail to the top of the falls and don't turn back too soon. Little campsite towards the top is a great shady place to stop for lunch but keep going there's more falls! My favorite part of this hike was that I did not see a single piece of trash on the trail. Keep up the good work!

Monday, September 12, 2016

I may have gone a little off trail but that is still a beautiful area to hike!

Monday, September 05, 2016

Lengthy trail but worth it when you hear the falls!!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great trail. Was fortunate enough to avoid bugs because the morning was cool.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Nice little hike with a beautiful view of the falls at the end

Thursday, January 07, 2016

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Not a hard walk but a lengthy one. Leaves just started changing so the path was clear but the views were awesome.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Nice trail. Falls were beautiful. As every other comment posted the directions to get there were a bit misleading but easy to figure out and get to the trailhead

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The directions were misleading. There are no signs that says Gleasman's Falls. Especially when I reached the end of Beach Mills road. Thankfully the park worker was there and told me that this trail does lead to the Falls. Other than the misleading directions, the trail was a blast. It was a bit wet because of the rain but that's ok. Yes the mosquitoes were annoying and no amount of OFF Spray would work. Will try something different next time. There was another trail beyond the Falls that leads to the pond, but that was an additional 6 miles. It is a great running trail as well, very well maintained. If you're daring enough can scoot on the big rocks to the middle of the river to get some nice pictures of the rushing water. Definitely worth it.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

We had a great time on this trail. Had our dog, and 2 kids (age 4 and 7) they both did great! Not very difficult of a hike, some incline near the end and the falls. The worst part is the drive out there. You will feel like you are lost, but just keep going. I promise the dirt road does end and it dead ends at the trail head. Was a bit muddy around the creek beds, but not terrible.

Friday, May 08, 2015

This was a great trail, perfectly groomed, great scenes towards the end. Not to hilly. The only part that was confusing was getting there. Stay on beach mill rd, do NOT turn onto Cleveland lake rd. From that "Y" in the road, it is 2.1 miles to the dead end and trail head. The road is a bit tight but its not bad. If you can't make it for whatever reason, there are several turn off spots to park and walk.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

The trails through out this area were nice and easy.

Friday, January 16, 2015

went on a cold wet day, was a nice hike but the hordes of mosquitos was a damper on the whole affair. Will try again another time.

Sunday, October 06, 2013

It is a nice trail and well maintained. The road to the trail is not for cars with low clearance. We got a little lost looking for the trail. Don't hop on the first trail you see. Drive to the end of beach mill rd.

Friday, August 16, 2013

I dunno why people who don't even do the trail give it a bad review.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Great trail A little overgrown but I like the wild feeling. The directions are correct but there are multiple signs fro beach mill trail so it's confusing. if you have a truck or jeep you take the dirt road beach milll rd all the way down till you get to a dead end. but if you have a small car I wouldn't chance it so park halfway when you get to the soft sand turnaround point it's next to beach mill pond trail. Hike down the road a 3/4mile till you get to the dead end and there is the trail. this will add like a mile and a half to your journey. We enjoyed this hike and we had dinner right on the rocks near the falls. the falls are small but beautiful outlook if you dare go close.

Friday, April 05, 2013

Tried to follow the printed direction to the trail. I ended up on a season dirt road made for a 4x4 truck. Had to turn back for fear of damage to car. I'm gonna try my own directions next time.

Saturday, September 08, 2012

We tried to get to this trail, but the final mile of road is a ver barrow gravel trail barely wide enough for a car. As we were in an RV we had to do some tricky backing out. Never made it to the trail. :-(

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

This is a great walk for kids. We backpacked in and spent the night at the informal campsite. The sound of the water through the gorge was great. Bring bug protection - you'll pass an old beaver pond that has some stagnant water. See the link for pictures and a description. http://www.sheehey.blogspot.com

Sunday, March 04, 2012

had a great time in this area! my downfall was showing up without my GPS! and it may be open in march... but the snow will make it from a easy hike to a very exhausting one! so we couldn't find the trail due to the 3ft of snow still in the area so we just decided to make our own... and had a great time