Learn more

Gleasmans Falls Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lowville, New York that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.6 mi Elevation gain 442 ft Route type Out & Back

Bugs

Washed out

Description
Waypoints (0)

Note: As of September 2019, the road leading to the trailhead is impassable.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (79)
Photos (92)
Recordings (45)
Completed (127)
Tony Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020
HikingBugs

Beautiful, well maintained, easy trail. Very scenic especially by the river.

View Tony's Recording
lisa h.
HikingBugs

Great trail! Nice easy rolling trail through interesting variety of mature trees. The gorge/falls were beautiful! Be ready for deer flies.

Scott Renshaw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 15 2020
Hiking

On 6/14/20, we hiked this trail with cloudy skies & 64 degrees. The bugs were few but the hikers were plenty. We went to the falls and a mile beyond just because. On our return trip I lost my Sherlock trail stick at the falls in the rapids. That’s what I get for not wrapping the strap around my wrist. Nice hike just the same.

William Packard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 14 2020
Hiking

Great walk in the Adirondack woods! Just a bit muddy in a few spots, but easily managed. My question is - where are 'the falls'? I got to the end of the trail, crossed over the bridge that had one branch of the river flowing under it - but could see no more tails signs. So I walked to the other branch of the river but again saw now more trails signs..

Mihai Paraschiv
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 13 2020
Hiking

Awesome easy trail. Bugs come out as the evening sets in and the trail gets over grown once you get 0.5/0.75 mile past the fall.

View Mihai's Recording
Ryan Apalategui
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 01 2020
HikingBugsMuddy

Nice waterfall view, if you take a car make sure it’s full sized and have all terrain tires. This is the max I would drive a car on the one lane road to the trail head. Some mud and bugs so bring hiking boots and bug spray. Otherwise it’s a nice sized 2h 30min - 3hr trail.

View Ryan's Recording
Jennette Nare
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 31 2020
Hiking

My husband and I were nervous on the 3 mile road to get to the trail, but my car was fine and it was worth it! We met two friends there and enjoyed the nice walk to the falls. Our pups loved it and the falls were beautiful! It was a hot day so there were a handful of people there, but everyone was respectful. We live about 2 hours away, and it was worth it! we'll be back

C M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 25 2020
Hiking

The hardest part is the road in. The road is very narrow at times and can be muddy. I wouldn’t attempt it in my car, unless there was no mud. In a truck or SUV you should have no problem. You’ll see trail signs along the road, but keep driving until you get to the trailhead parking lot. The trail is very easy to follow and not a hard hike at all. The views of the falls are worth it. Accessible for dogs as well.

Shawn Thornton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 24 2020
Hiking

A great trail with an awesome view of the falls. Went Memorial Day weekend only saw about 10 people on the way in and six on the way out. Had the falls to ourselves. The beauty of the forrest, the changes in landscape and of course the falls make the hike very enjoyable.

Megan G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 03 2020
Hiking

The road in was bumpy with old ruts but dry. There were a few muddy spots on the trail but we were easily able to get around or across on rocks or small-medium logs. Falls were very pretty. Met one couple and dog on the way in and 11 people coming out. It's all of 6.6 miles-we recorded 7.2 but once you reach the first falls there are more so we went another half mile or so to see more. Fun trail.

Mickey Mierta
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 11 2020
HikingBridge outFloodedMuddy

trail was perfect for the first two miles or so then started running into bogged out areas, streams to cross, downed trees. stuff like that. it still wasn't difficult and the end was worth it. the road out to the trail was... interesting. Muddy with so many holes!! I am super glad I have a 4x4. it was a one lane for a few miles. glad I didn't run into anyone. had a wonderful day though.

View Mickey's Recording
Steven Heeren
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 15 2019
HikingRocky

The road was passable. I can see where the road may have been washed out after a good rain but the road was dry. The hike was nice and in some parts rocky. We made it to the picnic area and fire pit by the falls but you need to go about a 1/4 mile past this point to get to the beginning of the falls. The area is high up above a gorge. The views were breath taking. We cannot wait to go there again next year!

Lauren Teller
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 02 2019
HikingClosedWashed out

Road was impassable, washed out. I was able to get part of the way up Beach Mill Road but soon enough the water was way too deep.

Sarah McLean
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Aug 11 2019
View Sarah's Recording
Deb Cannan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 14 2019
Hiking

One of my fave hikes! Only was able to snowshoe it once bc I was crazy enough to drive back to the trailhead.

christopher schuss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 11 2019
HikingMuddy

Well maintained trail to the falls. There were a few spots where it was pretty deep mud. There were also a few stream crossings. The waterfall was flowing pretty good. Plenty to see along the way if you pay attention.

View christopher's Recording
Carol Hallenbeck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 13 2019
Hiking

Giving it 3 stars, but never made it to the trail. It was April 13, 2019, a sunny 60 degree Spring day. Very little snow remained in spots as we drove through the Lowville area. Came to the turn off onto Beach Mill Road, and lo and behold, this one road was bizarrely, completely covered in uneven ice. Our Jeep Cherokee in "Snow" mode began spinning its tires only a few yards down the road. Not wanting to give up, we hoped for the best and pressed-on 1/4 mile further until we came upon a Subaru SUV stuck trying to turn around on the one lane road in order to avoid the even worse icy conditions ahead. That was our sign to pack it in, and we backed all the way out. So disappointed we didn't get to hike Gleasmans Falls Trail. Will have to try again after the ice has melted. Scrambling to find another waterfall hike while we were in the area, we ended up at Whetstone Gulf State Park in Martinsburg, which was lovely!

Laura Popiel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Sep 28 2018

There were many different elements to make this a great little hike. The pond was my favorite part, and the falls were beautiful. There was a small campsite near the falls set up with little chairs made from logs that my kids really enjoyed. We'll definitely go back again and again!

David Poage
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jul 04 2018

We just moved here from Colorado (and yes, we’re spoiled rotten), so we can only give 4 stars because the views are really really nice, but not the awe inspiring vistas you get out West. The waterfall and the little mini-gorge it sits in area nice reward at the end of a hot 4th of July hike (90+ degrees and humid)...gotta give props to the hikers that can still have fun when they’re just big bags of sweat :) Good tree coverage throughout killed the breeze but saved us from baking in the mid-day sun. Don’t miss the beaver pond about a mile in...you can see the lodge about 120 meters from the bridge. Not many critters other than chippies, but did see a couple of small friendly snakes. Might be muddier after a rain but we didn’t have any problem keeping our feet clean — thanks to the folks that laid boards or branches. It was a little buggy, but they were mostly the buzzy kind not the bitey kind. The drive to the trail head? No challenge at all for a high clearance vehicle, slow down for potholes in a sedan. Happy Birthday America!

Jeremy Dorries
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 27 2018

Great trail. My fusion hybrid made it just fine down the road. There are a lot of other trails on the way as well. Beautiful views and a great hike.

Abigail H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Oct 15 2017

Awesome trail! Not sure I would take a car on Beach Mill Road to get to the trail head. It's a good 3 mile drive in. Lots of pot holes and water holes. Trail is easy to find. We worried about hunters as muzzleloading season opened yesterday (and had a large dog with us). Didn't run into any. A couple little camp site areas on the way. And note when you get to the falls to keep walking. There are more falls ahead! We turned around when we got to the flatland water. Great trail for dogs with some water areas for them to drink. Or play :). There is a sign in book further away from the trail head. Trail is totally covered in leaves so a bit slippery in areas. Ran into a few people on our way in with their dog and one on our way out. Also noticed off beach mill road a few extra trails that we didn't realize Cleveland lake, Payne & procession if I recall) and will look into doing next time. Very beautiful and worth while!! A few "steep" areas but nothing close to a high peak. We didn't have an issue with bugs as it was humid yesterday. Totally worth doing!!

Amy McGovern
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 03 2017
Hiking

I don't know why anyone would give this trail less than five stars. I loved it. No traffic noise, waterfalls at the end of the trail, and total solitude. I am definitely going back.

Chris Phelps
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 26 2017
Hiking

Very beautiful trail! Good for beginners, I brought my wife and my dog and everyone had a great time. My only complaint will be that in some areas the trail was hard to find. The hike can take as long as you want it too. There is a nice area next to the falls where you can sit and hangout and possibly have a meal. Enjoy!

Charity S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Nov 19 2016
Hiking

Trail can be tricky to find, down a long, single lane dirt road. But there are adequate signs to indicate Beach Mill Rd, and it dead ends at the trail head. My Honda mini van handled it without issue, though there were places I had to creep. There are no signs for Gleasman Falls, the trail head sign indicates 2.6 miles to Independance River (where the falls are) or you can continue on to Panther Pond (9.3 miles). We hiked with two adults and 5 kids, aged 9 to 2. The trail is easy enough to follow that the 6 yr olds were often ahead out of site with no problem. There are several small streams to cross, where sneakers were tricky and some of the kids needed to be carried over, but a good pair of hiking boots was adequate for all we crossed. The 4 year old walked all the way in and was carried out, the 2 year old walked 1/3 of the trail in and was carried out. We averaged a stroll pace with little legs and about 40 minute break at the falls, for a 5 hr total hike. Remote enough to be an adventure, easy to follow and find the trail so it was comfortably safe for the littles. I can't speak to the bugs, as we went on 11/18/16, and there were no bugs. We did see some hunters, but had no issue as we planned ahead and were wearing bright safe clothing. We had a nice visit with them on the way out.

Chloe Drummond
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 25 2016
Hiking

This was a great hike! Perfect for a quick 2.5 hour (round trip; 5.2 miles total) hike. The falls at the end of the hike are so worth it and looking forward to visiting them again. The hike was very easy with a handful of small hills.

Amanda Nguy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Oct 10 2016
Hiking

This seems to be a hidden gem about 20 min from Lowville. The trail is about 6-7 miles, but not difficult. The falls at the end are worth getting to in what seems to be the middle of nowhere. I caution anyone without an SUV or truck: there are ~3 miles of almost one-way dirt road to get to trailhead parking. You might also run into riders on horses in the way, so be careful and courteous! I plan on bringing our dog here when she's a little older. There is a bridge with small gaps in the woodwork that furry friend paws might get stuck in, but otherwise, I think the trail should be good for dogs.