Gleasmans Falls Trail

Gleasmans Falls Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lowville, New York that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very beautiful trail! Good for beginners, I brought my wife and my dog and everyone had a great time. My only complaint will be that in some areas the trail was hard to find. The hike can take as long as you want it too. There is a nice area next to the falls where you can sit and hangout and possibly have a meal. Enjoy!

Trail can be tricky to find, down a long, single lane dirt road. But there are adequate signs to indicate Beach Mill Rd, and it dead ends at the trail head. My Honda mini van handled it without issue, though there were places I had to creep. There are no signs for Gleasman Falls, the trail head sign indicates 2.6 miles to Independance River (where the falls are) or you can continue on to Panther Pond (9.3 miles). We hiked with two adults and 5 kids, aged 9 to 2. The trail is easy enough to follow that the 6 yr olds were often ahead out of site with no problem. There are several small streams to cross, where sneakers were tricky and some of the kids needed to be carried over, but a good pair of hiking boots was adequate for all we crossed. The 4 year old walked all the way in and was carried out, the 2 year old walked 1/3 of the trail in and was carried out. We averaged a stroll pace with little legs and about 40 minute break at the falls, for a 5 hr total hike. Remote enough to be an adventure, easy to follow and find the trail so it was comfortably safe for the littles. I can't speak to the bugs, as we went on 11/18/16, and there were no bugs. We did see some hunters, but had no issue as we planned ahead and were wearing bright safe clothing. We had a nice visit with them on the way out.

This was a great hike! Perfect for a quick 2.5 hour (round trip; 5.2 miles total) hike. The falls at the end of the hike are so worth it and looking forward to visiting them again. The hike was very easy with a handful of small hills.

This seems to be a hidden gem about 20 min from Lowville. The trail is about 6-7 miles, but not difficult. The falls at the end are worth getting to in what seems to be the middle of nowhere. I caution anyone without an SUV or truck: there are ~3 miles of almost one-way dirt road to get to trailhead parking. You might also run into riders on horses in the way, so be careful and courteous! I plan on bringing our dog here when she's a little older. There is a bridge with small gaps in the woodwork that furry friend paws might get stuck in, but otherwise, I think the trail should be good for dogs.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Easy walk with changing scenery along the way. Look just off the trail for interesting mushrooms growing on fallen trees, and salamanders among the leaf litter. The falls are nice too.

Monday, September 19, 2016

The road to the trailhead was not nearly as bad as previous reviews make it seem. I made it back fine in a car the day after a big rain. Just take it slow and use your head. Trailhead was easy to find. No specific sign for the falls but it's the obvious trail leading out of the lot. The hike itself was nice. Not too hard not too easy. Falls were great. Make sure you keep hiking the trail to the top of the falls and don't turn back too soon. Little campsite towards the top is a great shady place to stop for lunch but keep going there's more falls! My favorite part of this hike was that I did not see a single piece of trash on the trail. Keep up the good work!

Monday, September 12, 2016

I may have gone a little off trail but that is still a beautiful area to hike!

Monday, September 05, 2016

Lengthy trail but worth it when you hear the falls!!

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great trail. Was fortunate enough to avoid bugs because the morning was cool.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Nice little hike with a beautiful view of the falls at the end

Sunday, July 24, 2016