Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Giant Mountain Peak via Ridge Trail

Giant Mountain Peak via Ridge Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

You can also access Rocky Peak Ridge by taking a right turn (east) at the top of Giant Mountain Peak. This route can also be found on AllTrails. Although dogs are allowed to use this trail, users have reported that the scrambling can be difficult for them.

i did this with my bf in 2014 and his 16 y-o son. this mountain about killed me. its a steep incline the entire way. parts of the trail you haveb to climb over huge boulders and part of the trail is sheer rock face. Pretty dangerous especially on the way back down. i had poles and spikes and still manages to fall on part of the rock face. we got to the trail head right at daybreak and was almost pitch black by the time we reached back to the car. i was very nervous about encountering a bear. on the way up we found a place to rest at the top of the waterfall. i thought this was the summit and was pleased andnready yo head back down, only to be told that we went not even halfway to the top

Awesome views, challenging hike! The view was beautiful! It was worth the efforts to the summit.

The rock scrambles up were fun but a near nightmare on the way down. You need good shoes with good traction to be safe. Because of the tricky (and possibly dangerous) descent, may not want to hike this again.
We also had a dog, who was well trained but created extra anxiety especially during the descent.

Would only recommend this peak for fairly experienced hikers or those familiar with these types of trails.

Hiking this in January meant lots of snow, ice, and negative temp windchill. It's a great hike that with fantastic views. Vertical starts right at the trailhead, so there's no long approach needed before vertical starts. There's a few spots that are steep due to large rock sections, might require some scrambling. Can be slippery with the ice and snow - recommend crampons/spikes. Took 2hr 40min to summit, 4:30 round-trip.. was just fine with one 32oz nalgene and a few snacks. Needed about the same in summer but quicker without the snow and heavier boots required. Bring some good gloves and a buff in the winter!

incredible hike with breathtaking views.
We were lucky enough to choose to hike Giant Mountain on a mild winter day.
Crampons are a must for this trail as the trails are steep and icy.

Had a great time going up to Summit. Spikes up and down. Took almost three hours to reach summit. Only the first half hour was easy. The three thousand feet up and one thousand climb per mile in winter is moderate to difficult depending on your fitness level. Did this December 18th 2018

J’ai fait le Giant le 11 novembre. Déjà bien enneigé et glacé, le sentier demeure ardu et peu balisé. Les crampons sont requis. Les conditions météo étaient idéales. J’ai pris 2.5 heures pour la montée et 1.5 heure pour la descente, le tout sur un bon rythme. Sous réserve de courir, il est difficile de faire plus rapidement. Le temps était magnifique et la vue au sommet est extraordinaire. À refaire...

We took this trail October 12 the weather was cloudy and rainy but the views from rocky ridge unparalleled. I would consider this moderate at best not as difficult as others said.

I really enjoyed this hike, lot of ice (Nov 4th), should havé worn better shoes with spikes

My brother ( age 50) and I ( age 52) hiked this yesterday November 4th and a lot of it was covered in ice and mud and snow . It was my first time hiking Giant and my 3rd high peak and most challenging yet . We were warm enough but should have worn some kind of chains on the hiking shoes . We each fell on our butt once but just enough to hurt our egos and laugh at each other . Hike time a little less than 7 hours ( including about 1/2 at the summit ) the trail is not marked very well and we took a few unplanned detours . I would do this hike again in the warmer months .

NOTE: This is Hard, NOT moderate, and this route to the peak is more like 8 miles, not 6 miles. Also, don't bring your dog, unless they're very adept at hiking with you. Once you get past mile 2, the rocky bits get increasingly harder to scale and the opportunities for a fall increase dramatically. We saw at least one poor dog too terrified to climb down while the owner yelled at him to jump, and none of the many dogs we saw coming down looked happy at all.

If you try a day hike like we did, you'll want to be back to within one mile of the trailhead by dark. It was ok with headlamps, but you definitely don't want to be scrounging around near any of the false peaks after dark. Also highly recommend at least one pole for the climb down or you'll have some sore knees pretty quickly.

Challenging, gorgeous and populated with legit and polite hikers. Don't underestimate this hike, especially in the fall with wet leaves, mud and high winds when you reach the various false peaks.

Hiked Giant Mtn via the Ridge Trail on 10/12/2018. The views on the way up were beautiful! It was a little past peak for leaves but it was still stunning. Once we got to the peak we were in the middle of a cloud and it was snowing so we had 0 view. But given better weather I feel it would have been perfect. It took a little under 3 hours to summit with 3 first time hikers in decent shape with a few stops and 2 hours to descent. Definitely a good hike! Very steep towards the top and a lot of bare rocks to scale but overall a well maintained trail and moderate difficulty. A fun hike!

Wife and I knocked this one out today. Both active hikers/bikers. Actual mileage is 6.5+. To be fair, we did the hike the morning after the region got 1+ inches of rain. Low clouds all day so we never got more than a fleeting look at he the high peaks off in the distance when we near or at the top. Truth is, this hike beat me up a bit. Not sure if it was the constant moisture or slick conditions, but by the time we hit the summit and were on the way back down (5.5hr total trip) the grind was on. Down was much more treacherous than I would have expected, as every slick stone and exposed root slide required focus to not slip and bust my arse. Will do again on a clear day and see if it rates easier. Under these conditions - easier up than down. A good challenge for sure.

Beautiful hike, lots of rock scrambling and mud making going down a bit tricky, but the views were endless and vast. Fall colors were starting to pop up on the high peaks across the way! 9/29/18. We got to the trail head around 8 am and there were still some parking spots left. Lots of people on the trail but the traffic flowed pretty well that you still had the trail to yourself most of the hike. Began at 8 and we’re back by 2:30. Took a bit longer because we stopped a few times up and down, definitely doable in <6 hours.

As an out of shape office worker with -10 of upper body strength, I would rate this as hard, but not impossible. I had 2 moments of wanting to turn back and actually started a decent at one point, but knowing I was half way there I pushed on. I was very scared of slipping on the way up, but the way down made me laugh at myself. It helped to have encouragement of other hikers and my boyfriend. We don't use poles so a hand here or there is nice. 1L of water was fine for each of us. Took 9 hours with at least 2-3 hours of rethinking the climb, talking to hikers, and lunch at the top. Beautiful day, just wet from overnight rain. View was minimal due to clouds.

Beautiful day for this hike! It’s pretty moderate the first mile but the last two are very steep with decent rock scrambles. Trail is mostly in the sun with some dips into the woods got muddy at the top but nothing too crazy! Well worth the view!!

Hiked last week, was raining the whole time and still enjoyed this hike immensely. The clouds were high so we still had beautiful views, and it was a lot of gain over a short distance.

Honestly, one of the best, most view-filled hikes I’ve ever been on. It was a lot of work, but wholly gorgeous. I got stuck in a torrential downpour on the last mile down and would still recommend this hike 10 out of 10 times.

A fun shorter hike with rocky switchbacks, some challenging scrambles, and nice views along the way. Took us 5.5 hours including an hours worth of breaks - so 4.5 hours travel time. Drank my full 2L of water, but only ran out at the end. Trail is fairly well marked, but was glad to have this app to help guide a little. I would be concerned to attempt some of the scrambles in the rain, but thankfully we had a dry day.

did this hike today for the first one in a long time. the trail was nice, actually less people than I thought would be out. A little sore but worth the views today.

This was a great hike - the trail was very busy. Unfortunately the mountain was shrouded in fog / clouds all day and there weren’t any views from most of the overlooks or the summit. Maybe this was a blessing though not having the sun beating down on us over the many open rock areas. Once we reached the summit there was a summit steward there who checked on everyone and answered questions. Overall it was a great experience!

Great and challenging first of the 46! Beautiful vistas and challenging rock scrambles to the top. Unfortunately weather at the top of the mountain prevent us from seeing anything – it was very windy, rainy and cold! The descent proved to be challenging as well. Overall a great hike and very challenging physical endeavor.

Hiked Giant and RPR yesterday. Took us about 8 hours to finish including a lunch break. Giant starts off easy and then the last couple scrambles are a bit challenging. The trail to RPR is still muddy and a steep down but doable. About an hour from Giant to RPR. Beautiful view of Champlain and Vermont mountains from the summit of RPR!

The rating of ‘hard’ is appropriate for the top section, with a fair amount of rock scrambling and steep slabs- rain or wet slabs would add ‘scary’. The lower 2/3 rate of ascent/descent makes it a 2 Aleve before, 2 after kind of hike.

It was a tough climb, but we had awesome views most of the way up, we also added RPR. Check out my full write up with pictures and things to look out for.

I didn’t think this trail was hard, but by husband did as he has bad knees. Summited in 3 hrs and about 2.5 hrs to descend. The views were nice although it was a cloudy day, I’m sure on a clear day it would be incredible. I would recommend poles if prone to knee strain.

Fantastic view from the summit!

Took our kids and they loved hiking up through the trees and over the small streams. This was a moderately difficult hike, I wouldn't say hard. The views are stunning.

The views from Giant are amazing. It is the 12th highest peak in the range. Some of the best views in the Dacks!

Great hike with the family. Wife and 10 year old son. Bring plenty of water as there is next to none to filter along the way. We found the trail very steep and unforgiving on the legs on the way down. Pretty much climb 3,000 feet in 3 miles. True Adirondack High Peaks fashion. I made the side trail to RPR in under 2 hours and was able to catch up with the family before they made it back to the car. Sore Legs for us afterwards.

A lot of rock scrambling but great views! The top was really windy!