Giant Mountain via Ridge Trail

Giant Mountain via Ridge Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and nature trips and is best used from June until March.

A moderate hike over varied terrain including open rock areas and several false peaks before you reach the summit. There are two trails - one slightly longer but less steep and one that is shorter but steeper. The views from the summit into the High Peaks region are excellent. You can also access Rocky Peak Ridge as part of your day hike - the mileage for this additional hike is not included in this total.

Went today. Weather was perfect. Conditions still muddy at the top. Very rocky trail--slippery! We veered off to hit Rocky Peak Ridge making this a 6.5 hour hike and 7.7mi. Not including the time spent at each peak. Brought 60oz of water and didnt run out. Lots of bugs on the trail. View at Rocky Peak Ridge was gorgeous! Took about 2.5 hours to hit the junction before Giant.

Wonderful trail during the fall!

I did this trail a few days ago with a friend as part of a backpacking trip in the High Peaks. This trail has a 16.5 mile option out and back that we were planning on doing. We spent a total of two days and two over nights on the trail. If you are planning on backpacking on this trail, definitely be aware of your water supply. We were purifying our water with aqua mira and were therefore very reliant on there being water sources along the way. The start of the hike includes a beautiful creek that you hike along and then you arrive at Giants Wash Bowl that is a beautiful hidden alpine lake. However, after the wash bowl we couldn't find any water sources throughout and we had to turn back before the trail ended because we were worried we wouldn't hit water again. The first night we camped up by the summit of giants and the next day hiked down roaring Brooke until we hit the Brooke. We rehydrated and then hiked back onto giants and then camped at the wash bowl which is such a beautiful spot to camp at (highly recommend it) and then hiked out the next morning. Giants was a fairly descent hike difficulty wise- there were only a few rock scrambles. However, roaring Brooke is much steeper and muddier. Really fun hiking though and a lot more technical then clean cut trails!

Nice hike, beauty view!

Awesome trail with beautiful views along the way. Highly recommend hitting Rocky Peak Ridge after summiting Giant. It's a tough addition to an already tough hike but on clear days you get a great view of Vermont's Green Mountains and Lake Champlain.

Completed the hike with 3 others and a dog. Since I've only done 2 high peaks before (both last summer) and haven't hiked much since, this one was a challenge. 2 days later, I'm still feeling the burn in my legs. It took us about 3 hours to reach the top, and about 2 1/2 to get down. There are multiple false summits, so don't be fooled that you've reached the peak until you see the marker. Giant is totally worth it and the view at the summit is gorgeous.

we took this trail to RPR summit it was definitely one of the hardest hikes so far in my experience. some parts were very tough, muddy , steep. but the views on this trail were better than roaring brook trail that we took up to Giants summit last year. great views along the trail outlooks to break up the long hike.. the summit views on Rocky Peak Ridge are amazing we had no cloud cover jist above us and we were able to see in every direction..Beautiful and worth every step.. This trail gave me war wounds to boot! very challenging.

Incredible hike. My first high peak. This hike will spoil you. Numerous places along hike for photo opportunities. I was slow going up (about 3 hours) because of all the pictures I took. Only took 2 hours to come down. A lot of scrambling to do on this hike (hands and butt). The bottom of the trail was muddy and the top of the trail had snow (like a glacier).Trail could of used some more markings (blue trail markers and yellow painted lines). Turn a wrong time a couple of times. When you see the over bump and around bump sign take the over bump if your interested in a tougher climb but it offers another awesome view. I went over the bump on the way up and around the bump on the way down. The last .7 miles to the summit is the toughest part of the trail. This is where most of the scrambling takes place. Well worth the scramble once you get to the summit. Tremendous views. I will say that I wasn't as prepared for this Hike as I thought. I walk 30-40 miles a week with an 8 mile walk on Sunday and none of that prepared me for the amount of elevation change (3000 ft). Just took a few extra breaks to recharge. This is the best hike I have been on so far.

Always a great view of the rest of the high peak region, hiked this in absolutely beautiful weather!

Among the best views for the effort in the ADKs. 3000 ft of elevation gain in 3 miles.