Giant Mountain via Ridge Trail

Giant Mountain via Ridge Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and nature trips and is best used from June until March.

A moderate hike over varied terrain including open rock areas and several false peaks before you reach the summit. There are two trails - one slightly longer but less steep and one that is shorter but steeper. The views from the summit into the High Peaks region are excellent. You can also access Rocky Peak Ridge as part of your day hike - the mileage for this additional hike is not included in this total.

2 minutes ago

Great climb!

1 hour ago

This hike didn't disappoint, even in the rain. Had a great time climbing up the rocks around little waterfalls, and the views were fantastic. Had a quick lunch on a rock face with a great view of the mountains and watched the storm roll in.

Today was a good day on Giant Mt. not too hot. The trail is pretty steep from the get go, this is my 12th 46er peak and it was one of the more challenging. That being said, it was wet and slippery which made the pace slower and this was my (just turned) 7 year olds first high peak! Honestly, would not recommend this as a first for young kids but he rocked it anyways!! Left at 6:40am, summited at 9:38am took a longer break, descended at 10:00am and got to the car by 12:54pm. Not bad for a trip with a 7 year old on a pretty technical climb with slippery conditions. Got cloudy in the last 40 min of climb so the view wasn't great, however several very rewarding views along the way, looking west over chapel pond.

Long but beautiful. I went pretty early (about 630am) and trail was very slippery on the way back down.

well laid out trail with excellent views...climbed on 8/15/2017

This trail is very rocky and arduous at some points but there's many, many views going up the trail...at the top you get views of Gothics, Armstrong and the Wolfjaws. I didn't continue onto rocky peak only because the time of day I got to the summit. Going to Rocky Peak takes about 2 hours added onto your trip on the trail. Be careful coming down this trail. Again it's very rocky and steep. I fell a few times coming down and there a few bare rock steep climbs that u have to worry about going up and down. Other than that, Giant makes a very good day hike. If you would like to do Rocky Peak Ridge, I would definitely move it through the flat parts. Also you get views of Giants Washbowl anywhere from this trail. Giants Washbowl is beautiful. Make sure you take a right to keep going to Giant. I first made the mistake of turning left going to the Washbowl trail. Very nice day hike, I would recommend this for beginners who have some experience.

Went up Mt. Giant on 8/13 with my husband and brother. We are not experiences hikers with less than one mountain under our belt. The hike was challenging for us but doable. The views are amazing making the trail worthwhile. If you are unable to make it all the way up the mountain, the views half way are just as beautiful.
We started the summit at 12pm and completed it at 6:58pm. It took us 7 hours (5x stops and 15m at the top). The beginning of the summit it relatively easy but it it quickly gets challenging two miles into the hike. Two miles into the hike, the climb gets steep. During the last mile there are some bog rocks that are watery that make it challenging to climb. We had to stop a few times to rest (non-experienced hiker) because we were getting winded from the steep hikes. Once we got to the top it was gorgeous we stood up there for 15 min and enjoyed the view. The descent nearly killed our knees. The rocks are not forgiving. It took us 3 hours to get down the mountain, it could have been shorter but I took it slow ( I was not comfortable with the steepness of the rocks).
Take plenty of water with you and snacks or sandwiches. I saw many people who did not have poles, we used sticks.... but I assume it is easier with poles. I had sneakers but hiking boots would have helped, not necessary in my opinion. I would have layered up and wore long pants.
Overall, it was a great experience. We would recommend it for anyone ready to tackle on the first hike.

A great hike with superb views as you are climbing. Give yourself time, took us 6 hrs up and down.

Don't let the relatively short distance fool you into thinking this is an easy hike. The closer to 6 mile hike to the summit of Giant is almost relentlessly steep and rocky. Descent is not quick and All Trails estimates of moving time are grossly under-reported. You will likely be moving for at least 4 hours unless you are running up and down the mountain. Very good hike all told.

Amazing trail, parked at Chapel Pond, took ridge trail up. Fairly steep. Took 2.5 hours to reach the summit. Also added on Rocky Ridge Peak which was really steep getting down off Giant but only took about 45 minutes to reach the other summit. Great views almost all day. Very amazing hike.

View on top is amazing and totally with the hike