Giant Mountain via Ridge Trail

Giant Mountain via Ridge Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Saint Huberts, New York that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, camping, and nature trips and is best used from June until March.

rock climbing

A moderate hike over varied terrain including open rock areas and several false peaks before you reach the summit. There are two trails - one slightly longer but less steep and one that is shorter but steeper. The views from the summit into the High Peaks region are excellent. You can also access Rocky Peak Ridge as part of your day hike - the mileage for this additional hike is not included in this total.

It was a tough climb, but we had awesome views most of the way up, we also added RPR. Check out my full write up with pictures and things to look out for.

I didn’t think this trail was hard, but by husband did as he has bad knees. Summited in 3 hrs and about 2.5 hrs to descend. The views were nice although it was a cloudy day, I’m sure on a clear day it would be incredible. I would recommend poles if prone to knee strain.

Fantastic view from the summit!

Took our kids and they loved hiking up through the trees and over the small streams. This was a moderately difficult hike, I wouldn't say hard. The views are stunning.

The views from Giant are amazing. It is the 12th highest peak in the range. Some of the best views in the Dacks!

Great hike with the family. Wife and 10 year old son. Bring plenty of water as there is next to none to filter along the way. We found the trail very steep and unforgiving on the legs on the way down. Pretty much climb 3,000 feet in 3 miles. True Adirondack High Peaks fashion. I made the side trail to RPR in under 2 hours and was able to catch up with the family before they made it back to the car. Sore Legs for us afterwards.

A lot of rock scrambling but great views! The top was really windy!

This was our first 46er, so I have no basis for comparison, but this is one of the hardest hikes we’ve ever done, however, not that bad and worth every step. We did the hike, up and back in 5.25 hours with 3-4 rest/viewing stops and a half hour on top. Trail was mostly dry, temps were in the 80s. Two Nalgenes were sufficient for water. Found a set of hiking poles coming down and placed them at the trail register.

Moderately difficult, begins with steep ascent including switchbacks until the Basin, where it levels. After the Basin, more moderate ascent and switchbacks which gives way to a mix of flat and moderate sections, finishing with some slab scrambles. Great view at the top! Wish I had been able to add the Ridge, as that was well within ability, but wasn’t able to that day.

Great hike! Watch for the yellow and white spray paint marks. Really rocky in parts. 2.15 hours up.

Such a majestic hike. Did this almost 4 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. It's not called the "Ridge Trail" for nothing! For much of the climb you will be ascending with what feels like nothing but the wide open sky at your back, and it is absolutely breathtaking. It's quite strenuous as well, at nearly 3,000 feet of elevation gain in such a relatively short distance. There are so many rewards on this trail, such as the washbowl, the side trip to Giant's Nubble, etc. Not to be missed!

Great hike! Love the switchbacks and the scrambles at the end to get to a gorgeous view. Took me about 5 hours round trip. Highly recommend but this isn't an easy hike! Not recommended for novice hikers. Not many streams to refil bottles but there's One about 50 mins into your hike. If you're into trail running this is a good One as well

What an epic weekend of hiking (Fri June 8th & Sat June 9th) with amazing weather conditions. We hiked Marcy, Giant, & Algonquin in about 28 hours with a little down time to eat and nap.

What a beast of a hike. We started our climb of Giant (5.8 miles) at around 6:30-7pm. I mean a few switchbacks early on then just get prepared to climb right up the gut! Miles 2 & 3 are hard, challenging, fun and a little technical. We got to the summit just in enough time to see the last 5 minutes of the sun setting. Much colder at night and super windy also. We headed down in the dark with our head gears on and it wasn’t really an issue at all. We stopped a few times and went lights out and the clear night sky lit up with millions of stars. Awesome and highly recommended! Round trip it took us just about 5 hours and we passed just two other hikers the entire time.

Did it in September and also in December. Both times were a challenge, (but well worth it!). Brought the pup with me for him first high peak. He loved it to say the least. Giant’s washbowl is always a nice place to stop and take in a view, it’s a good excuse to take a breather,or maybe get a little fishing in. The foliage in the fall is amazing. And the snow during the winter makes it just that much better. Very steep and tough trail but a lot of fun. Highly recommended.

made a late day hike yesterday definitely challenging steep rock sections with slippery muddy areas
and to add to it finished the last 1.5 miles with head gear in the dark seeing a moose on the way down.... views were great

went yesterday, still needed spikes for a bit near the top. this hike challenged me mentally with a steep portion of open rock. snow melt had made it wet so it was slippery in portions. was hoping for a quicker trek down but this path is steep and rocky the whole time. A map would be wise as trail markers aren't very prominent.

It was one of the greatest hikes on the Giant mountain trail today. It was challenge and fun hiking on icy and snowy sections. It was fantastic view in the breeze.

Just came back from Giant Mountain. It was a great trail, hard and technical. SPIKES are still a necessity at this time of year. The last mile was really icy and since it’s really steep, it’s very slippery. We managed do to it without our spikes (at first the mountain looked sooo great and without snow that we left them in the car...) but it’s hazardous, very slippery and it takes so much more time...

This was a beautiful trail. I got some great pictures and had a good time. I climbed it with a few friends in October 2017. It’s a tough one.

Trail somewhat uneventful, but great views made it worth it! Not too strenuous of a hike.

Did it with my son last October.Rain and fog made for limited visibility but still worth the trip.Hit RockyPeak Ridge while there.Clearing skies made for outstanding fall views.

Lots of ice. Did the whole hike in crampons. Took about 6 hours with stops and 1/2 hour at the peak.

Very icy, especially after recent melt has re-frozen. Used crampons for the first 3/4 and snowshoes for the remainder. Ice pick recommended. I chose to descend via roaring brook.

Icy

Climbed this with my youngest daughter during a heatwave. It was awesome!! But, only if you prepare for the conditions. Layers and water and dry clothes to change into. Even in the heatwave, it was very windy on the top and we were cold in our sweaty clothes. She was 12 and did just fine with this hike. Great views and plenty of other hikers to share experience with.

Today did Ridge trail up Giant Mountain . Needed snowshoes going up and halfway down . The trail is steep at certain heights . Nice trail would do it again.

hiked with my daughter a few years ago in august. some challenges along the way, but nothing we couldn't handle. sweet views of the great range in the distance and of chapel pond below.

Tough climb this time of year because of icy conditions near top. Also very easy to miss trail to roaring brook, which I did and then must take trail over nubble to get back. Definitely adds to challenge but some great views

i

Quite the challenge but worth every step !