Giant Mountain and Rocky Peak Ridge Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(163)
Giant Mountain Wilderness

Giant Mountain and Rocky Peak Ridge Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near New Russia, New York that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length9.2 miElevation gain4,084 ftRoute typePoint to point
Dogs on leashBackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsSnowshoeingBird watchingForestLakeViewsWaterfallWildflowersWildlifeMuddyRockyScrambleSnow
Description
Waypoints (11)
Facilities
Contact
Tips
Getting There

This hike can be done as a hike through, shuttled car ridge hike up Giant and then descending east down Rocky Peak Ridge to enjoy two more Adirondack High Peaks. As you begin up the Ridge trail towards Giants massive summit you will walk through beautiful woods, cross a log as you pass by Giants Washbowl and then enjoy some excellent exposed rock hiking. You will see (and pass by) the trail intersection for Rocky Peak Ridge - dont worry, you'll head that way on the way down. After a few false summits you reach Giants 4,626' open rock summit with incredible views. The view into the Great Range and beyond is amazing and well worth a ling lunch break. After enjoying the summit you will head back down to the junction and head towards Rocky Peak Ridge (RPR). On the way to RPR you take a short but steep hike down into and back up out of the col and come out to another beautiful summit at 4,383 feet. It is from tis point on that the hike is fairly incredible - the ridge hike allows you to summit three additional smaller mountains (Bald, Blueberry and Mason) while enjoying incredible views along the way and a walk through a picturesque lower forest.

This is done as a loop with parking across from Chapel Pond (Exit 30, west on 73) and off of Rt 9 a few miles north of the intersection of Rt 9 and Rt 73. Both parking areas are free - this trip report is set up as one car left at the Rt 9 lot and starting at the Chapel Pond lot trail head.

For more information on the trail contact the NYS DEC or visit their website at http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9163.html

The Chapel Pond Trailhead is across from Chapel Pond several miles north on 73 from the intersection of 73 and Route 9. There is no fee to park there. The eastern trailhead off of Rte 9 several miles north from the intersection as well with no fees there either. You can reach Rte. 73 off exit 30 off I-87. You will want to drop a car at the Rte 9 lower trailhead and then drive to the Rte 73 Chapel Pond Trailhead to start the hike.

I-87 (Northway) to Exit 30, west on 73 to parking areas.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (171)
Photos (2,592)
Recordings (142)
Completed (563)
Brendan Phillips
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 18, 2020
View Brendan's Recording
Clark Grabb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 25, 2020

Awesome trip

View Clark's Recording
Jacob Bonneville
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 8, 2020
Hiking

Great views at both summits. Mud made rock slabs slippery so it was slow going down to RPR and back up. Trail is strenuous for sure but worth the effort.

View Jacob's Recording
Rachel Stein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 25, 2020
Hiking

I did Giant. It was a bit chilly (~35-40°F), but with gloves, hat and layers, it felt great! Some of the open rock was icy, so that was pretty scary at times, but if you picked your footing carefully it's definitely doable. Microspikes probably would've helped. The sky was clear, and the frosted trees at the top were beautiful!

View Rachel's Recording
Kristen Hatch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 10, 2020
HikingIcy

I was hoping that a later start would allow me to avoid a lot of hikers . However hiking up Giant was nonstop traffic. I was also nervous about my pup after talking to a few folks on the trail. Rock scrambles that were suppose to be non negotiable. I actually almost bailed however knowing my car was in New Russia pushed me forward. Coming off Giant and on to RPRidge was beautiful, peaceful, solitude that I will remember forever. My Pup is clearly part Mt. Goat! He negotiated it all! Trail was clearly marked and it wasn’t until it got dark that there was any question bc of leaf cover. This took me exactly 7 hours but I wasn’t exactly taking my time! Loved this hike!

Nate Towers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 9, 2020
Hiking

Icy at first. Warmed up. Day ended beautifully.

View Nate's Recording
Jennifer Heffernan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2020
View Jennifer 's Recording
Rachel Lindke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
HikingGreat!

this hike is 11.3 mi, according to my ADK trail map, and after hiking it today, can say it was true. Absolutely gorgeous, but as other reviewers have stated, this entire trail rarely lets up. The hike up to Giant has lots of switchbacks which help with the steep incline a bit. The section between Giant and RPR is definitely steep as well. Bring lots of water, be prepared to be hiking an exposed ridge a ways, and enjoy the gorgeous views.

Chris Ristau
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2020
View Chris's Recording
Katherine Wears
View Katherine's Recording
kira b
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2020
HikingGreat!IcyRocky

One of the hardest hikes I've done, absolutely beautiful vistas.

Morgan Young
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 19, 2020
Hiking

Great views at both, took my dogs on the trail. Very busy tho

View Morgan's Recording
Carlene Peters
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2020

I went to roaring broke falls in keene by route 73. hike up the falls saw a sign that said giant mountain 3miles and my friend and I decided that the next day off we had we should hike up giant, after all its only 3miles how hard could it be. so on June 9th 2020, we set out to hike giant and boy were we in for a suprise. the higher we got the steeper the trail got some spots we were like omg! how are we going to get past that. We push through came up on the Rocky Ridge sign read it and kept on hiking to giant. didn't give it a thought, because at the time we didn't know that we were actually hiking one of the 46 high peaks in the Adirondacks. We made it to the summit of giant it was windy and cold the view was amazing but the weather didn't allow us to enjoy it. once we decend the summit and got home, I went on Google to research giant and to see how high it was and it was then I found out that I had just hike the 12th highest peak in the Adirondacks. so I got all excited call up my friend to share the news then we decided that since we made it to the summit of giant why not aspire to hike all 46 high peaks. we got the list and realized oh snap Rocky Peak is on the list. fast forward to 9/11/20 we set out to do Rocky Peak and boy I don't know what it is but it was brutal the trail going down was steep and yes Rocky the weekend before we hiked wright, Algonquin and Iroquois all in one day and for some reason Rocky seems harder. we set out on that trail at 6am didn't made it to my car until around 815pm. we did spend over an hour at the summit and we stopped alot along the way, but hiking up the trail was even worst. this hike is not for the faint of heart and needs mental toughness. If you are not physically active I would not recommend this hike, bring plenty of water, you will need it. also don't forget your flashlights you might need that too. the view was so worth it though and I can't wait to do my next high peak.

Arieta Bela
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 12, 2020
View Arieta's Recording
Greg Snyder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 12, 2020
Hiking

Took us almost 12 hours. You’re not done after RPR, not as easy as it looks on paper.

Joshua Skoler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 6, 2020
View Joshua's Recording
Ian Woods
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 31, 2020
Hiking

Would give this hike 6 stars if allowed. It has everything: tons of views, fantastic summits, lakes, uncrowded trails. And you get to do the Giant ridge trail going downhill so you can enjoy all of the views without turning around. Great hike!

View Ian's Recording
Crosby Woods
Hiking

An outstanding hike. The views along the East Trail probably make it one of the best hikes in the Adirondacks. The only really difficult part is the ascent from RPR to Giant. There are many rock scrambles with places to grip hands and feet.

View Crosby's Recording
Ben Michaels
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 24, 2020
HikingGreat!

This trail is no joke- it took our group from 9am to 7pm to hike. You should really make sure you have enough supplies to last you overnight in case of an emergency and it’s a necessity to bring water purification for the lake after rocky peak ridge as you’ll be needing water at that point. Very scenic overall, but sketchy/treacherous descending some areas.

Dan Ayers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 21, 2020
Hiking

Hard, but views are worth it. The trail is easy to lose towards the top.

View Dan's Recording
Nicole Peterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 20, 2020
Hiking

My Fitbit which clocked me in at 15 miles. The views are incredible - and the hike itself is worth it. Just prepare appropriately with enough food and water. Bring headlamps just in case. We took our time as that was what the group needed - this trail isn’t for beginners. Can beginners do it? Yes. But it’s hard and will take you longer, especially if you’re not in shape for hiking (rock scrambles, etc.). Just be prepared, take you’re time and allot for it, and you’ve got it! Also, hiking 15 miles isn’t typically the same as walking 15 miles (I say typically bc experienced hikers can rock that easily). This WILL take you time. My caution is only to be prepared for it.

Isabel Caprood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 18, 2020
View Isabel's Recording
Reno Alvarado
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
View Reno's Recording
Meghan Riese
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 15, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

My sister and I hiked Giant and Rocky Peak Ridge from the Roaring Brook trail on Rte 73 to Rt 9 in New Russia. Fabulous hike! It was a very quick ascent up Giant and a very steep and rocky hike down to the col between the two but the views on top of both are amazing. The back half of the trek down from Rocky Peak Ridge is much more challenging than the elevation map indicates, the "short" ups and downs over the lower peaks are quite steep but the views continue, looking out across Lake Champlain into VT. The trip was just over 11 miles and took 7 3/4 hours with about a 20-30 minute stop on top of each high peaks. I have been looking forward to this hike and it was well worth it!

Matt Corona
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
HikingRocky

Great hike! Nice views at each outlook along the way. Be prepared for a quick assent— elevation kicks up pretty fast. Highly recommend going over to Rocky Ridge Peak, it has an even better view than Giant. Bring plenty of water if you’re going out on a hot day. We took a nice dip in Chapel Pond afterwards, very refreshing :)

View Matt's Recording
Kristin DePlatchett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 26, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyScramble

Tough trail. The start of Rocky Peak was tough. But beautiful views...

View Kristin's Recording