Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain Trail

Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Big Indian, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1981 feet

Nice day in the Catskills. The path to panther was lined with wild flowers. Not a hard hike at all.

Pretty awesome hike, we hit a quite snowy day above 2 feet of snow. Slippery going up and down the snow snowy slopes. I would have used my crampons or trekking poles to facilitate the hike. Great views though once you reach the top. Parking lot gets full quite fast !

Just missed the peak colors on my 10/20 hike, but got my first of 35 down. Loved the forest on top of Panther

Finished! 35er!

Good views from Giant ledge. The hike is easy and is a good hike for beginners.

Great view!

awesome hike, rocky and steep on the way up but boy is the pay off worth it when you get to the ledge. Jurassic views!!

Amazing views from the ledge, decent from Panther. Had heavy rains this week so the trail was like walking up a stream bed. Most people who do this trail only go as far as the ledge, so it gets really quiet once you pass them.

First off...gorgeous views from the Giant Ledge and a couple decent views on Panther Mountain. I was disappointed in how people using this trail do not respect it. Trail was packed on my way out heard a loud noise..a guy was using a drone on Giant Ledge..I get it this is the annoying world we live in today but I wish people would leave their loud obnoxious toys at home and just sit and enjoy nature. There is a porta potty in the parking area and certain people using the trail seem to feel that is ok to just throw their garbage in a pile next to the toilet....I was appalled by the amount of trash as well as this mentality.

great hike with amazing views at the top.

Gorgeous view

The view is breathtaking!

This is an amazing, but fairly difficult hike. The view at the top is incredible. Bring extra water, you're gonna sweat.

Giant Ledge and Panther, the views were simply awesome from the ledges. Was on the trail by 7am and beat the crowds, go early. Really a fantastic hike, moderate rating seems correct. I would do this hike again.

We went on a Saturday and started our hike at 10AM (Wish we went earlier seeing there was more than enough people at that hour). The views at Giants ledge are worth the hike, not so much Panthers mountain. If we were to do it again I wouldn’t waste my time extending to Panthers mountain. On the return hike the amount of people doubled and every ledge was extremely crowded (around 2PM). The whole hike was 6.6 miles and took us about 4 1/2hrs with some stops to enjoy the view in the beginning portion of our hike. Go very early or on weekdays if you want to enjoy the view without a crowd.

Our Favorite Trail during Fall Folliage. Huge payoff after a nice uphill hike.
Bring Lunch and Pick a ledge to view the Catskills in all their glory and beauty

There are about 7 ledges. It's easy to spend an hour or two staring at the valley. Will return sometime

We loved this hike! Amazing views. It is quite steep but definitely doable. Good for dogs.

Trail head was sort of hard for me to locate. This hike was great, steep but not too challenging and I was quite hungover. Really nice view for the effort.

Excellent hike, well marked & maintained! It was fairly difficult mostly because of the rocky trail and elevation gain. We're fairly fit & experienced hikers but felt beat up at the end. There are some spectacular views, for sure. We really enjoyed hiking through the changes if forest, so much fun. It feels like a very old forest. We hiked about 7.5 miles altogether & were very glad that we pushed on from the Giant Ledges to Panther.

Great trail. Well marked. Views from Giant Ledge are spectacular. Good workout though - some by require mini scrambling and big step ups, but mostly it's fine.

Absolutely fantastic views, make sure you have sturdy boots as this trail is non stop rock navigating.

Getting to the giant ledge is challenging, but very doable. Doing Pathern Mountain as well is the really challenge. Both have similar views, but you are definitely higher up at Panther. My first Catskills 3500!

Great hike. Very challenging for me a budding hiker. Encountered rain but took it in stride. Simply had to slow down in some areas. Great experience overall wish I could have caught some better views. Got to Panther and it was completely overcast with nothing to be seen. The evergreens made up for it however with that "holiday smell" and I was able to get a "piece" of a view at a few of the Ledge overlooks. Very muddy to top it off. It was overcast to begin with so I guess I should've known but it was worth it. Shout out to the couple I saw with the dog in Nike canvas runners and the umbrella. Who brings and umbrella on a hike. I'm going for Breakneck in the coming days so I'll throw something on that board too.

Great Views! Rocky climb up but well worth it!

This is a very difficult hike up to Giant Ledge. Very rocky, and you're basically scrambling most of the way up. There is a fresh spring that is marked for water if you need any. Then I would say it was moderate up to Panther Mountain. A few difficult rocks to climb up/down. My XL Great Pyrenees needed assistance a couple times getting down as there was not enough space for her to easily jump down. It was very muddy along the flatter areas just as a fair warning to those who care about that. Views are spectacular, I would say some of the best in the Catskills! A few camp sites are available if you're into that. My dog and I did just about 11 miles round trip as we continued past Panther Mountain a little bit before turning around to come back down. The trail continues on to Fox Run (I think) where there is a lean-to for an over night stay. Always remember to wear proper hiking boots!! I lost count of how many people I saw struggling because of their choice of shoes they wore. Also, bring water and food. I shared mine with a couple who brought nothing with them(???). Overall this hike was difficult but well worth it for the views. I plan to return at peak autumn.

Yes, made it to the grand ledge (5 small openings onto the mountain vista, gorgeous), but no, not moderately difficult! Its a series of steep & less steep ascents up river beds, all requiring stamina & uber concentration. Im a relatively fit 51yro male (&my 53 yro wife) so there s context. Well worth it & a good challenge-just know that it is.

Literally one of the best hikes. Beautiful views - even if you don't go all the way to the top. But, once you reach the summit, it's all breathtaking.