Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain Trail

Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Big Indian, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Yes, made it to the grand ledge (5 small openings onto the mountain vista, gorgeous), but no, not moderately difficult! Its a series of steep & less steep ascents up river beds, all requiring stamina & uber concentration. Im a relatively fit 51yro male (&my 53 yro wife) so there s context. Well worth it & a good challenge-just know that it is.

Literally one of the best hikes. Beautiful views - even if you don't go all the way to the top. But, once you reach the summit, it's all breathtaking.

Great hike with amazing views. There are about 5-6 different locations for views. There are a few tough scrambles and a couple steep climbs but not too difficult and definitely worth it. Get here early before the crowds.

Really fun hike with beautiful views from the ledges. The trail has rocky steps all along the way so hiking shoes are definitely recommended. But there are no technical spots and we hardly needed to scramble. Lots of friendly folks on our way. Hiked it with a toddler(in a carrier) and a dog.

absolutely loved it. had great company on the way. definitely enjoyed the challenge

Amazing view once you hit the top.

Awesome views. loved it

Definitely a cool trail. It's a moderate hike to the ledge, not overly difficult or strenuous but still hard enough that hiking boots are a must. There's quite a few rock scrambles and loose rock that it's easy to lose your footing. We did both the ledge and panther mountain. The views are pretty much the same, though obviously panther is a higher elevation. It's worth it if you're looking for a little bit of a longer hike. There's no clear summit but two outlook we came across, one on top of a rock where we decided to eat lunch. Cool hike.

This hike was great! Not too strenuous, the views highly outweigh the climb. I'm not sure where the summit of Panther was... we just kept going until we started going down significantly again and assumed we had passed it. The ledge was the real star of the show. Plan on going back for a camping trip- there's a camp sight right on the ledge that's pretty sizable. Worth the early wake up call to enjoy the views before the crowds picked up mid day.

absolutely stunning views and total peace and quiet. The smell of the Alpine pines on top of Panther Mtn was so refreshing and clean! Absolutely loved this hike!

My son was too tired to get out of bed this morning so i did this one solo, which honestly I didn't mind. After a busy work week and kids, wife, boss, I don't mind some time, or a lot of time to myself. the hike up to the ledge is very easy, although I saw a baby in a front carrier and woman in tennis shoes carrying her, I wouldn't rate it that easy or a good idea, too many ways to lose your footing, I fell once (although higher up the MTN), and saw three other people end up on their backsides, the route is very rocky so it's easy to slip. I would still wear good hiking boots up to the first ledge.

The Panther MTN summit is rather unspectacular, the views from the ledges are better. The summit is so unspectacular that I walked right past it, and went 6 miles deep into the trail and probably another 1000 down the backside of the MTN, then ascended Panther MTN again and headed home. Overall I did 12 miles, 6 out, 6 back. Nothing too difficult and great views along the way.

Definitely a cool way to spend the morning.