Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain Trail

Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Big Indian, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hiked on 12/29/18. Trail conditions: clear and down leaves near trailhead and first incline, increasingly muddy towards giants ledge, and hard packed ice and snow beyond that. Microspikes and poles were extremely helpful. Summited in about two hours and returned in the same time and took very few breaks. Very nice views along Giants Ledge, but you get more or less the same from the rock outpost near the summit. Overall, a good challenge for a first time hike of this trail.

I hiked Giant Ledge solo last year and liked it so much I brought 3 friends up this past Oct. We hiked up to Panther Summit then back down to one of the Giant Ledge campsites and stayed overnight. Weather was warmer than normal so it was very comfortable. At night it went from great views of the stars to total cloud cover and windy. Great views especially at sunrise. Overall it was challenging but not too bad. Muddy in spots if there is recent rain. Pack as light as possible and make sure you use trekking poles although you will need to climb in certain areas. I went during the week so crowds were not an issue. Overall a great experience and I would definitely go back.

Muddy .

Pleasant hike with nice views from Giant Ledge. Hiking over to Panther is not really worth it though for the view itself, but walking around in the woods there is really soothing. The forest floor is covered in mats of bright green moss and it feels like walking in an enchanted forest.

awesome hike to panther mtn. over ledge. views are spectacular. a bucket list hike for sure

Great hike with beautiful views. Views from giant ledge are better than panther. Deff longer than 6.3 miles if you go up to panther.

We went back to this beautiful trail yesterday. The trails were mostly dry views were amazing! Foliage should be peak by the weekend.

This hike isn’t easy, but it isn’t hard either. There just are points were you feel like you’re rock climbing rather then hiking. Just prepare for that. Also plan to get there either early or super late; the parking area fills up quickly!

Great hike with beautiful views from the ledges!

This was a nice hike with great views from the ledges. The trail was like a mini river and muddy in most places. Overall not a bad hike but the trail was busy with people.

Really cool beginner trail. This is where my GF and I got started and it introduces you to a lot of terrain that you will experience on bigger trails. Our dog had a blast and there are great camp sites around

This is a busy trail specially on nice weather. This is a moderate hike. weather condition changes at the summit. It was below 40's windchill at the top today

Giant Ledge is probably one of the most accessible hikes in the Catskills in that it’s fairly short and easy and you are rewarded with some of the best views in the region. I’ve hiked it at night for some awesome stargazing as well as backpacked in and stayed overnight at the designated sites up on Giant Ledge. Caught a great sunset and sunrise on that trip!

I'm relatively new to hiking and have been aiming for moderate trails over easy, to challenge myself, gain experience and build endurance. Well this trail definitely helped with that. Steep hike with extremely rocky terrain. I found going up to be challenging but fun, but going down was extremely tough for me. The rocks are tough on the knees and feet. I'm thankful I invested in a good pair of hiking boots and trekking poles or it would have been a lot worse for me. The trail is beautiful, but I have to admit, I had my head down most of the way, because you have to watch your footing. There were some pretty intensely muddy spots on the trail, but that is to be expected with the amount of rain we've been getting. Bugs were not an issue at all except for the black flies at the top of Panther. Trail markers were easy to find. The ledges were some of the best views I've ever seen. We made friends with a little hungry chipmunk on the ledges and had lunch with a snake on the top of Panther. It was not too crowded, as we started at 7:30am. There were about 3 cars there before us, one being the trail steward, who stayed at the ledges. This was definitely a challenge for a new hiker but exactly what I was looking for. Sore today for sure, but still thinking about the lovely views at the top.

Started early to avoid the heat .... nice and shady walk. Great view from the Giant Ledge ... came across a baby snake on the way down ... brilliant day!

This was such a fun hike. Very rewarding views at Giant's Ledge and a really helpful NYNJ Trail Conference steward up there. If you continue up to Panther Mountain, you get even more of a workout but you also get that perfect alpine smell.

Great hike, but busy paths. Several vistas make the incline worth the effort.

Fairly steep trail with very nice views. Many small rock ledges along the top of the mountain form the “giant ledge”. Saw 5 or 6 people when I went in May/June.

Good hike. Pretty crowded today. Great workout, a little wet in spots. Spent some time with 2 ultra friendly squirrels at the 3rd ledge.

Amazing hike. Only take a star off due to heavy traffic from Giant Ledge back to the lot. Lots of steep challenging parts, lots of running ops and views to beat the band. On at 930am, off just after 1 and it was only the last mile that was high traffic. I did clock in over 8 miles - highly recommended

This is a moderate hike and worth it. The views are awesome!

Gorgeous moderate hike. If you are looking for views this is a great pick. The trail is moderate and offers nice portions that are great for trail running. There are also many nice little overlooks so you can find your own spot to relax and take in the views.

Beautiful view from the ledge panther mountain has one good view. Hiked through to fox hollow steep and long 10.5 miles.

I Loved this Hike, I took four kids and we did both Giant ledge and Panther Mt, we went early in the morning so that it would not be as crowded, and the later in the day it got the more people we saw. veiws were Spectacular, I am recommending this hike to everyone I know, absolutely breathtaking!!!!

Beautiful views went from Giant ledge to fox hollow very difficult decline out 7 miles

Cleanest hike with amazing view at top

Only went to giant ledge but didn’t realize it was a bunch of ledges. Amazing views and relatively easy hike to ledges. Would definitely recommend to all my friends.

Just hit the Ledge, not Panther. Pretty steep hike but some very nice views (at least 2 major ledges to peer off) for a relative short amount of work. Camping at the top. The descent is loads of fun, running and jumping down on all the rocks--be careful though.

I thru hiked this area and the out looks are soul touching ..for a day trip for someone ,I'd say it's a must ..happy trails

Wonderful views at Giants ledge. Decided not to continue to Panther due to rain coming in. One of the best views the Catskills have to offer.