Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain Trail

Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Big Indian, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1968 feet

Just missed the peak colors on my 10/20 hike, but got my first of 35 down. Loved the forest on top of Panther

Finished! 35er!

Good views from Giant ledge. The hike is easy and is a good hike for beginners.

Great view!

awesome hike, rocky and steep on the way up but boy is the pay off worth it when you get to the ledge. Jurassic views!!

Amazing views from the ledge, decent from Panther. Had heavy rains this week so the trail was like walking up a stream bed. Most people who do this trail only go as far as the ledge, so it gets really quiet once you pass them.

First off...gorgeous views from the Giant Ledge and a couple decent views on Panther Mountain. I was disappointed in how people using this trail do not respect it. Trail was packed on my way out heard a loud noise..a guy was using a drone on Giant Ledge..I get it this is the annoying world we live in today but I wish people would leave their loud obnoxious toys at home and just sit and enjoy nature. There is a porta potty in the parking area and certain people using the trail seem to feel that is ok to just throw their garbage in a pile next to the toilet....I was appalled by the amount of trash as well as this mentality.

great hike with amazing views at the top.

Gorgeous view

The view is breathtaking!

This is an amazing, but fairly difficult hike. The view at the top is incredible. Bring extra water, you're gonna sweat.

Giant Ledge and Panther, the views were simply awesome from the ledges. Was on the trail by 7am and beat the crowds, go early. Really a fantastic hike, moderate rating seems correct. I would do this hike again.

We went on a Saturday and started our hike at 10AM (Wish we went earlier seeing there was more than enough people at that hour). The views at Giants ledge are worth the hike, not so much Panthers mountain. If we were to do it again I wouldn’t waste my time extending to Panthers mountain. On the return hike the amount of people doubled and every ledge was extremely crowded (around 2PM). The whole hike was 6.6 miles and took us about 4 1/2hrs with some stops to enjoy the view in the beginning portion of our hike. Go very early or on weekdays if you want to enjoy the view without a crowd.

Our Favorite Trail during Fall Folliage. Huge payoff after a nice uphill hike.
Bring Lunch and Pick a ledge to view the Catskills in all their glory and beauty

There are about 7 ledges. It's easy to spend an hour or two staring at the valley. Will return sometime

We loved this hike! Amazing views. It is quite steep but definitely doable. Good for dogs.

Trail head was sort of hard for me to locate. This hike was great, steep but not too challenging and I was quite hungover. Really nice view for the effort.

Excellent hike, well marked & maintained! It was fairly difficult mostly because of the rocky trail and elevation gain. We're fairly fit & experienced hikers but felt beat up at the end. There are some spectacular views, for sure. We really enjoyed hiking through the changes if forest, so much fun. It feels like a very old forest. We hiked about 7.5 miles altogether & were very glad that we pushed on from the Giant Ledges to Panther.

Great trail. Well marked. Views from Giant Ledge are spectacular. Good workout though - some by require mini scrambling and big step ups, but mostly it's fine.