Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain Trail

Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Big Indian, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great trail. Well marked. Views from Giant Ledge are spectacular. Good workout though - some by require mini scrambling and big step ups, but mostly it's fine.

Absolutely fantastic views, make sure you have sturdy boots as this trail is non stop rock navigating.

Getting to the giant ledge is challenging, but very doable. Doing Pathern Mountain as well is the really challenge. Both have similar views, but you are definitely higher up at Panther. My first Catskills 3500!

Great hike. Very challenging for me a budding hiker. Encountered rain but took it in stride. Simply had to slow down in some areas. Great experience overall wish I could have caught some better views. Got to Panther and it was completely overcast with nothing to be seen. The evergreens made up for it however with that "holiday smell" and I was able to get a "piece" of a view at a few of the Ledge overlooks. Very muddy to top it off. It was overcast to begin with so I guess I should've known but it was worth it. Shout out to the couple I saw with the dog in Nike canvas runners and he umbrella. I'm going for Breakneck in the coming days so I'll throw something on that board too.

Great Views! Rocky climb up but well worth it!

This is a very difficult hike up to Giant Ledge. Very rocky, and you're basically scrambling most of the way up. There is a fresh spring that is marked for water if you need any. Then I would say it was moderate up to Panther Mountain. A few difficult rocks to climb up/down. My XL Great Pyrenees needed assistance a couple times getting down as there was not enough space for her to easily jump down. It was very muddy along the flatter areas just as a fair warning to those who care about that. Views are spectacular, I would say some of the best in the Catskills! A few camp sites are available if you're into that. My dog and I did just about 11 miles round trip as we continued past Panther Mountain a little bit before turning around to come back down. The trail continues on to Fox Run (I think) where there is a lean-to for an over night stay. Always remember to wear proper hiking boots!! I lost count of how many people I saw struggling because of their choice of shoes they wore. Also, bring water and food. I shared mine with a couple who brought nothing with them(???). Overall this hike was difficult but well worth it for the views. I plan to return at peak autumn.

Yes, made it to the grand ledge (5 small openings onto the mountain vista, gorgeous), but no, not moderately difficult! Its a series of steep & less steep ascents up river beds, all requiring stamina & uber concentration. Im a relatively fit 51yro male (&my 53 yro wife) so there s context. Well worth it & a good challenge-just know that it is.

Literally one of the best hikes. Beautiful views - even if you don't go all the way to the top. But, once you reach the summit, it's all breathtaking.