Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain Trail

Giant Ledge and Panther Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Big Indian, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

20 minutes ago

Giant Ledge and Panther, the views were simply awesome from the ledges. Was on the trail by 7am and beat the crowds, go early. Really a fantastic hike, moderate rating seems correct. I would do this hike again.

We went on a Saturday and started our hike at 10AM (Wish we went earlier seeing there was more than enough people at that hour). The views at Giants ledge are worth the hike, not so much Panthers mountain. If we were to do it again I wouldn’t waste my time extending to Panthers mountain. On the return hike the amount of people doubled and every ledge was extremely crowded (around 2PM). The whole hike was 6.6 miles and took us about 4 1/2hrs with some stops to enjoy the view in the beginning portion of our hike. Go very early or on weekdays if you want to enjoy the view without a crowd.

Our Favorite Trail during Fall Folliage. Huge payoff after a nice uphill hike.
Bring Lunch and Pick a ledge to view the Catskills in all their glory and beauty

There are about 7 ledges. It's easy to spend an hour or two staring at the valley. Will return sometime

We loved this hike! Amazing views. It is quite steep but definitely doable. Good for dogs.

Trail head was sort of hard for me to locate. This hike was great, steep but not too challenging and I was quite hungover. Really nice view for the effort.

Excellent hike, well marked & maintained! It was fairly difficult mostly because of the rocky trail and elevation gain. We're fairly fit & experienced hikers but felt beat up at the end. There are some spectacular views, for sure. We really enjoyed hiking through the changes if forest, so much fun. It feels like a very old forest. We hiked about 7.5 miles altogether & were very glad that we pushed on from the Giant Ledges to Panther.

Great trail. Well marked. Views from Giant Ledge are spectacular. Good workout though - some by require mini scrambling and big step ups, but mostly it's fine.

Absolutely fantastic views, make sure you have sturdy boots as this trail is non stop rock navigating.

Getting to the giant ledge is challenging, but very doable. Doing Pathern Mountain as well is the really challenge. Both have similar views, but you are definitely higher up at Panther. My first Catskills 3500!

Great hike. Very challenging for me a budding hiker. Encountered rain but took it in stride. Simply had to slow down in some areas. Great experience overall wish I could have caught some better views. Got to Panther and it was completely overcast with nothing to be seen. The evergreens made up for it however with that "holiday smell" and I was able to get a "piece" of a view at a few of the Ledge overlooks. Very muddy to top it off. It was overcast to begin with so I guess I should've known but it was worth it. Shout out to the couple I saw with the dog in Nike canvas runners and he umbrella. I'm going for Breakneck in the coming days so I'll throw something on that board too.