Gertrude's Nose Trail

Gertrude's Nose Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gardiner, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

cave

A lot of carriage roads but the Gertrude's Nose trail makes up for it. Awosting Falls running pretty good.

There are a lot of amazing views on this hike as the trail hugs the edge of the cliff for a good portion. The elevation changes are spaced out well and strenuous at a few points. Overall, the payoff is definitely in the hikers' favor. Once the views are all thoroughly enjoyed, the return trip through the forest is also very nice. I did this hike with a good amount of snow on the ground, I imagine this will be much easier once the snow melts.

Currently about 2 feet of snow on the nose trail. Hiked here through millbrook mountain from the west traps there was only a covering of snow everywhere else. But, once you hit the Gertrude’s nose trail it is rough if you’re not used to the snow. Still, beautiful views and an exhilarating hike although if not experienced I would say wait out the snow.

This trail is not accessible to hikers during skiing season. Still giving 4 stars because it looks awesome and I will be back when the snow melts!

I would give this hike 5 stars if it wasn’t so busy. IT’S TOO CROWDED! (On Saturday morning we barely could find any parking in few miles radius) Views are amazing, but asian tourist groups blasting music trough speakers were ruining our experience. Dogs without leashes shouldn’t be allowed at this trail, but there there at least 3 dogs running freely. My advice would be DON’T GO THERE ON THE WEEKEND! (Unless you like crowds)

Beautiful hike. easy hike around the lake. good traction is recommended in some part of the trail in winter.

I hiked this trail back in August with my brother and parents and was awesome! It had many great views and the overall experience was great. The trails were marked very clearly, weather conditions were perfect and bugs were not an issue.

*****This is closed when there's snow on the ground for skiing.***
learned that the hardway!

a completely worth it trip would do it again in a heart beat. great views and lots of mix types of terrains. reccomend wear good shoes. 10/10!

Probably my favorite hike in the Catskill region. Starts off a bit crowded on the Minnewaska State Park side but by the time you climb the McCullock Mt., the people start to thin out. The walk on the ridge is awesome, with numerous rock cutouts with great views. The back side walk avoids a lot of up and down and has great internal views of the ridges. Some parts are pretty steep up and down so not for the faint of heart. Great time.

An excellent hike if you're looking to spend a few hours. Not difficult from a terrain perspective; the challenge comes in properly pacing yourself and going with a group that will keep that pace. Other than that, I love this hike and will do it again for sure!

Fun hike with great views. Park in upper lot, bring snacks and water and you’re good to go.

Most Amazing hike I’ve done in the Hudson Valley yet!!!!!! It was certainly a long hike worth every single step!! ONLY complaint which we did read in other reviews and really should have listen was.. parking in the lower lot. Then you have to walk alllll the way up and than all the way down after an 8 mile hike to your car. The hike it’s self was breathtaking HIGHLY recommended!!! The views on the way to the top and simply Beautiful! We went about 2 weekends ago the foliage was incredible!!! We also took our pup and she absolutely loved it but might be hard for dogs that don’t like some rock climbing. Cannot wait to go back!!!!!

The actual hike was exactly what I was looking for. Moderately challenging with amazing views. The problem was it was PACKED! There had to be at least 10 groups of hikers who were hiking with 5 or more hikers. We had to allow hikers to pass us throughout the entire hike. Maybe it was because the fall foliage seemed to be peaking or because the weather was so nice. If this is usual I would not recommend this hike.

Very nice view

challeging.

Stunning views!!

One excellent hike to start the fall season with. The NYS Empire Passport is worth every penny!

Loved this hike! Super fun with LOTS of gorgeous views. Definitely would consider it more moderate than difficult for more experienced hikers, as it doesn't feel like there's too much of a change in elevation. It took my friend and I about 4.5 hours to complete, but with lots of breaks for water and photos. The trails are well marked with several trail maps posted around the area. Definitely park at the upper parking area by Lake Minnewaska so you don't have to walk all the way up to the trailhead. It can get super crowded on weekends so go early to avoid the crowds!

great hike, but not for the inexperienced hiker

One of my favorite hikes, ever. I would not rate it as difficult, moderate definitely. Me and my hiking partner are two fit people in our late 30s who run/workout regularly but don't often hike, if that helps. The bang-for-your-buck factor is off the charts, some climbing and scrambling but it really didn't feel like as much elevation change as it is, and every other turn leads you to a gorgeous view of the valley and beautiful cliffs. Very few other people on the trail, although we were there on a weekday. We did not bring enough water! Your cute little S'well bottle will not do it, my friend. We found a neat little cave on a side path that was pouring coolth into the air, and we sat beside that for a full 10 minutes :) Amazing hike, very well marked (full trail maps at every intersection and clear blazes along the trail itself) and maintained, in a clean, beautiful park. Can't wait to come back!

Amazing views, crazy cliffs and a whole lot of fun

For experienced hikers, this is a 5-6/10 for difficulty. For novice hikers, this is probably about a 8-9/10. We hiked in a group of 4- everybody was fit, but with different hiking experience (no experience to very experienced) and it took us about 5 hours to complete. Great views. Highly recommend the hike. Be careful when you get to the footpath portion and choose the correct path- if you take the path that seams like a bushwhack then turn around because you chose the wrong path (unless you want to do a bushwhack, are experienced hikers, and have good navigation skills). Also make sure to park in the correct parking lot.

Great views, but a lot of foot paths and definitely not a trail for the faint. Bring lots of water and enjoy the views when you see them!

We took our dog on this hike today. he's not much of a jumper so he had a couple issues. but we were able to help him around. this hike has some of the best views I've ever seen. it's completely worth it. I loved this hike!

A hard trail, but the views are well worth the adventure!

One of the best hikes in the NYC area, and probably the state too. Yup, you gotta pay $10 to park. Started off from Lake Minnewaska nice and easy on a gravel road. Super pretty views of the lake. And then holy hell does it get rocky. Once you're on the actual ridge though things start getting prettier, and the hike much more fun (some minor light scrambling may be required). Jaw dropping views, it's just vista after vista from Millbrook Mountain to Gertrude's Nose. The view from the nose itself will bring you to tears. 10/10 would recommend

Amazing trail that is a must hike! The views are some of the best you can find in this part of NY!

Well worth the hike! Beautiful views