Gertrude's Nose Trail

Gertrude's Nose Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gardiner, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

cave

I hiked this trail back in August with my brother and parents and was awesome! It had many great views and the overall experience was great. The trails were marked very clearly, weather conditions were perfect and bugs were not an issue.

*****This is closed when there's snow on the ground for skiing.***
learned that the hardway!

a completely worth it trip would do it again in a heart beat. great views and lots of mix types of terrains. reccomend wear good shoes. 10/10!

Probably my favorite hike in the Catskill region. Starts off a bit crowded on the Minnewaska State Park side but by the time you climb the McCullock Mt., the people start to thin out. The walk on the ridge is awesome, with numerous rock cutouts with great views. The back side walk avoids a lot of up and down and has great internal views of the ridges. Some parts are pretty steep up and down so not for the faint of heart. Great time.

An excellent hike if you're looking to spend a few hours. Not difficult from a terrain perspective; the challenge comes in properly pacing yourself and going with a group that will keep that pace. Other than that, I love this hike and will do it again for sure!

Fun hike with great views. Park in upper lot, bring snacks and water and you’re good to go.

Most Amazing hike I’ve done in the Hudson Valley yet!!!!!! It was certainly a long hike worth every single step!! ONLY complaint which we did read in other reviews and really should have listen was.. parking in the lower lot. Then you have to walk alllll the way up and than all the way down after an 8 mile hike to your car. The hike it’s self was breathtaking HIGHLY recommended!!! The views on the way to the top and simply Beautiful! We went about 2 weekends ago the foliage was incredible!!! We also took our pup and she absolutely loved it but might be hard for dogs that don’t like some rock climbing. Cannot wait to go back!!!!!

The actual hike was exactly what I was looking for. Moderately challenging with amazing views. The problem was it was PACKED! There had to be at least 10 groups of hikers who were hiking with 5 or more hikers. We had to allow hikers to pass us throughout the entire hike. Maybe it was because the fall foliage seemed to be peaking or because the weather was so nice. If this is usual I would not recommend this hike.

Very nice view

challeging.

Stunning views!!

One excellent hike to start the fall season with. The NYS Empire Passport is worth every penny!

Loved this hike! Super fun with LOTS of gorgeous views. Definitely would consider it more moderate than difficult for more experienced hikers, as it doesn't feel like there's too much of a change in elevation. It took my friend and I about 4.5 hours to complete, but with lots of breaks for water and photos. The trails are well marked with several trail maps posted around the area. Definitely park at the upper parking area by Lake Minnewaska so you don't have to walk all the way up to the trailhead. It can get super crowded on weekends so go early to avoid the crowds!

great hike, but not for the inexperienced hiker

One of my favorite hikes, ever. I would not rate it as difficult, moderate definitely. Me and my hiking partner are two fit people in our late 30s who run/workout regularly but don't often hike, if that helps. The bang-for-your-buck factor is off the charts, some climbing and scrambling but it really didn't feel like as much elevation change as it is, and every other turn leads you to a gorgeous view of the valley and beautiful cliffs. Very few other people on the trail, although we were there on a weekday. We did not bring enough water! Your cute little S'well bottle will not do it, my friend. We found a neat little cave on a side path that was pouring coolth into the air, and we sat beside that for a full 10 minutes :) Amazing hike, very well marked (full trail maps at every intersection and clear blazes along the trail itself) and maintained, in a clean, beautiful park. Can't wait to come back!

Amazing views, crazy cliffs and a whole lot of fun

For experienced hikers, this is a 5-6/10 for difficulty. For novice hikers, this is probably about a 8-9/10. We hiked in a group of 4- everybody was fit, but with different hiking experience (no experience to very experienced) and it took us about 5 hours to complete. Great views. Highly recommend the hike. Be careful when you get to the footpath portion and choose the correct path- if you take the path that seams like a bushwhack then turn around because you chose the wrong path (unless you want to do a bushwhack, are experienced hikers, and have good navigation skills). Also make sure to park in the correct parking lot.

Great views, but a lot of foot paths and definitely not a trail for the faint. Bring lots of water and enjoy the views when you see them!

We took our dog on this hike today. he's not much of a jumper so he had a couple issues. but we were able to help him around. this hike has some of the best views I've ever seen. it's completely worth it. I loved this hike!