Forest Park Loop is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near New York City, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 131 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

rails trails

This is quite a pleasant trail and not too busy on a weekday afternoon. I followed the orange path and it’s mostly woodsy and has some inclines. The other shorter colored trails aren’t as well marked and it’s easy to get turned around.

It was perfect for a quick little woods action to feel like you aren’t in the city! I brought my dog there and it was perfectly lovely!

Beautiful park! So many different areas to go. I didn’t do this exact trail because I couldn’t find parking but I parked in the visitors center and hiked around there. Me and my dog found a pond with turtles splashing around which we both loved!

Best kept secret in NYC area! Closest thing to a "real" hiking experience I've had since I've moved to the city. Great and safe way to get outdoors but keep socially distanced.

An easy trail, but still a good one.

We walked for 1.5H on a sunny morning after fresh snow. Very few people on trail. We let our dog run off leash (against posted instructions). The preserve is fenced and the park roads are closed to traffic but great for running/biking. There is plentiful parking in a lot on Park Lane/80th Street. We walked the orange trail, a 2.4M clearly marked trail. (See photos for map of whole system trails). You don’t entirely escape the traffic noise but this is a great resource for walkers, runners, bikers, horse riding.

Can’t believe I’ve lived in Queens all this time and never did this. Very easy and fun.

Great city hike. Parts make you forget that you're even in the city and then the last half was right along a highway and was pretty noisy. Overall a beautiful hike with all the leaves turning and squirrels scurrying around. I did spot poison ivy in a few parts of the trail.

Easy four hour stroll in the woods with Ms 6. (The four hours includes lunch, a playground stop, and investigating every interesting fallen tree along the way.) Chipmunks everywhere. This is a great kid friendly day hike in the city.

I went for a small hike on the trails this past weekend. I was surprised and impressed by the upkeep of the trails. What I was disgusted over was nearing the end of the trail hike where it lets off by Metropolitan Avenue and noticed a fat man with shorts over his head laying nude on a tree log. There were two other individuals that witnessed this as well. This totally brought back memories of all the vermin that would hang out in the woods dating back to the 80's and 90's before there was a big cleanup spearheaded by the NYPD.

Nice outing overall. Great scenery. Ran into plenty of folks jogging. The trail is close to traffic. So you'll hear cars throughout the hike and see traffic at times. These aren't big deals, but know what to expect when going through here. Some of the trail is paved, some isn't. Elevation doesn't get out of hand. A nice easy-going trek. Plenty of trail markers. But the pathing on this posted trail was a little wonky at spots, so I had to improvise and go in the general direction the path wanted me to go. Came across 3 big old pipes of poop while hiking here.

Great escape from the city. It’s obviously still queens so you’ll never fully get away from car noise, but if you dive into the interior of the park it’ll give you quiet and sounds of nature. Relatively flat and easy with a mix of paved and dirt paths. Will definitely be back to explore some more.

Well-marked and easy trail. I went with my six year old and we had a great time.

genial para ir en familia

Really accessible, beautiful trail in the heart of Queens. Girlfriend and I needed an afternoon getaway, and this was perfect. Super shaded, well-maintained trail. Made us explore a new neighborhood too! Would recommend the orange loop to any avid hiker.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Stick to the road and sidewalks. You never know what you will find on the quiet trails...its generally not very pleasant. remember, it's still NYC.

Sun Dec 02 2018

NYC’s best trail system imo. The orange, blue and yellow blazes will get ya about 6 miles combined and another 2 miles on the Bridle Path. All marked trails are loops so impossible to get lost. Close to trains, buses and ample street parking. Rarely crowded and Ive never encountered any n’er-do-wells. This is Queens after all and not the AT but some decent hills if you’re into that kind of thing. Bonus points for a fenced-in dog run at each end.

Sat Nov 24 2018

alright not for mtb.

Fri Nov 02 2018

Amazing hike. Something new to discover everytime I venture out.

Mon Sep 24 2018

Not safe and very dirty

Sat Aug 18 2018

The best , everything well the only app you need for trails

Sun Jul 29 2018

there's a little clearing off the yellow trail where there are a few large bird feeders that attract some interesting birds. great photo op