Fire Tower Trail

Fire Tower Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Beacon, New York that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

1 hour ago

The switchbacks were there as soon as you needed them! Mainly all incline with rocks & extremely little bouldering (if any at all!), worth it!

Challenging climb with a 40lbs backpack (toddler included) I sure felt the burn by the time I reached the casino ruins.
Would do this hike again

Great first hike of the year.

I decided to bring along my good friend for his very first hike to Mount Beacon. Once we got up to the summit I decided to bring him over to the fire tower. Awesome hike up their! It was my second time and it doesn't get boring only better. I will say that it was kind of challenging due to the fact that there was a lot of ice and snow pack so it took almost twice the time to get up to the top, but once their it was well worth it the views are spectacular..! On a clear day you can see the NYC skyline 90 miles due south...
Although no motor vehicles are allowed we did run into a group of four wheel drivers with their Jeep Cherokee's at the summit and one or two ATVs. There were quite a bit of hikers up there and you do meet a lot of friendly people that are willing to help if you're not sure.
I do want to say thank you to Katie for giving me the heads up on certain landmarks and also for filling me in on this All Trails app.. thanks Katie..

Def steep - stairs & no stairs. Glad it was a fall day, as opposed to the summer, otherwise, it would've been more brutal. Nice views.

My husband and I started off in the early afternoon. So the trail was really quiet most of the way up. Large portions of this trail are extremely steep and slippery. It didn't help that we went the day after a heavy downpour of rain. The hike requires some scrambling when you get closer to the Fire Tower.

The views are breathtaking, which made the difficult hike all the more worthwhile. For those scared of heights, the tower didn't really add too much value to the view. The view at the base of the tower is only slightly less amazing than the top!