Finger Lakes Trail to South Rim Trail

hard 42 reviews

Finger Lakes Trail to South Rim Trail is a 17.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Watkins Glen, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 17.2 km Elevation Gain: 501 m Route Type: Out & Back

private property

Didn't do the whole hike, only made it to the little hut by the river cause I was running out of daylight, but it was totally worth it. There were a few steep elevation changes and I had gone after a few days of rain so it was pretty muddy. In the picture I uploaded of the snake, I was actually knee deep (kinda stuck to be honest) in mud at the time. There wasn't really a visible trail on the ground; you're better off following the white marking on the trees. Not too far into the trail, you'll have to hike through some private property which is closed during certain parts of the year. Where the property starts and ends is clearly marked. The whole thing looks to be very lightly trafficked; didn't see a single person the entire time I was out there.

Overall great hike but poorly marked in beginning... ended up off trail quite a bit. Also in order to see the falls and gorge you must cross over and take the gorge trail.

Was a great hike, just long and challenging enough, with rewarding cliff views, waterfalls, and variety. Parked on Templar road and trail crosses there start by heading east and follow white blazes. Right when you park, if you take the finger lakes trail west for like fifty yards you get to see/go in Templar falls, added bonuses you can soak your feet after your hike ends too since it's at the cars. When you head east on the hike and get to the mosses/Rocky stairs and bridge with a waterfall, head up the creek bed for many more hidden falls (maybe 5 more?). Saw maybe five people all hike until I got to Watkins Glen gorge

This is a quiet and nicely carved out trail. Can be a little muddy is some spots. Lots of nice places to refill on water with a filter straw. Can easily hike in one day.

Loved this hike. I hiked 2 hours in and turned around and hiked 2 hours back. Beautiful woods and cliff views. Well marked dirt trail. I only saw a few people along the way. Felt safe to hike it alone. I would definitely do this hike again next time I’m in the area.

Thu Sep 20 2018

Hiked back in June 2018, and previously in 2013. Great trail, train bridge is fun to go on but sketchy if you are afraid of heights, something like 175' over the creek below

Tue Jul 03 2018

Great trail, wonderful sites to camp, crisp clean water - amazing in 100 degree heat!

Sat Apr 14 2018

Nice trail even when muddy and overgrown. Nice quiet views and decent climbs. Saw no one out there! I’d bring my hiking poles next time. Giddy up.

Fri Sep 01 2017

This was my start on my 65 mile journey to the branch off to the South Bristol Trail in 4 days. Plans were to make it to Ontario County Park, but pace was too slow. The first day in this trail was amazing an site seeing probably cost me 30-40 minutes that I DO NOT regret taking to time to stop and see them. PLEASE if you can make this trip and volunteer to maintain the FLT!!!

Mon Aug 07 2017

A perfect way to access Watkins Glen while beating some of the traffic and difficult parking within the state park. This trail hugs the ridge of the gorge, providing some great views that you can enjoy in seclusion as very few venture out towards the Fingerlakes Trail from the main area.

Tue Aug 01 2017

Parts of trail were wiped out due to rock slides, needs works near the end of trail.

Sat Jul 08 2017

We ran it from Watkins Glen toward Sugar Hill. This put the big climb at the beginning of the run , and all downhill on the return We've lived and worked in Watkins all our life and didn't know the trail existed before we found it on here. The trail west of the paved road is awesome single track with technical sections. East of the paved road, heading down into the park is very state park Esq. and is smooth and maintained. This is a great trail and we will be back for more.

Wed Mar 29 2017

Great trail

Sat Sep 15 2012

Really spectacular scenery. Well worth the walking effory