Fifth Peak Trail

Fifth Peak Trail is a 4.7 mile out and back trail located near Bolton Landing, New York and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,578 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice couple of challenging climbs. Pretty views go to the left of the lean to and have your mind blown with the rolling adirondacks. This world has so much to offer. The trail was a little wet but nothing my trail shoes couldn't handle. A few bugs. No snakes. Beautiful day

This is a great trail. Well maintained and well marked. The view from the leanto is fantastic.

Average Lake George hike - bugs in your ears and eyes all through summer, small rocks running the length of the trail bed, making footing tricky at times. Some of the stretches are easy, and some have moderate incline. I think the best feature of this trail is the unique rock formations along the way. Definitely use trekking poles here. Follow signs at the trail junctions to "Fifth Peak Lean-To" and you won't get lost. On your way back, follow signs to Rt. 9N to Clay Meadow. Trail is well-marked, and like someone else below said, the colors of the markers change a few times. Summit views towards Lake George were limited due to overgrown trees, so I wouldn't really bother doing this again.

Make sure to keep an eye out for signage, as the trail splits several times. For the approach up, marker colors change a few times: you’ll end up following blue, red, blue, and then look for yellow and a lean-to sign on the left for the last quarter mile or so.

This trail took us 2 hours upas it was very wet and rocky 3/4 of the trail. Was well marked, nice view at top.

What a fantastic hike, the snow-pack just adds to the enchantment. Reminds me a lot of the way I felt about our hike up Pillsbury Mountain. This is mostly a moderate hike with some more strenuous sections, and then some sections that were an easy forest stroll. Lots of water in the streams, much of which had formed ice falls. The trail, especially higher up, is currently well packed snow and ice; at lower elevation there was more forest floor. Contrary to what the description says about mileage, we clocked in at 5.8 miles.

Saturday, September 01, 2018

Fifth Peak: I've hiked several trails in the LG area and this is one of the better ones. It's a moderate trail with a few steep climbs and not much to see along the way. There are a few ponds and some dry streams to cross which would have made it more interesting had there been some recent rains. The trail could be better marked especially with distance and directional markers. I made a mistake on the decent that took me off the right path.

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Pleasant Saturday morning hike. Beats the heck out of chores.My wife and I have vowed to break the shackles of home ownership and become slaves of the Adirondax.

Monday, August 20, 2018

This is my third hike in the Lake George area. Buck and Sleeping Beauty being the other two. There were two distinct parts to our hike on Fifth Peak Trail, so I'll review them separately. 1. Fifth Peak was okay. The views were decent, but not nearly as impressive as Buck. The hike itself was manageable for my hiking partner and I, both of us are athletic and in good shape. I'd give the hike 3/5 stars. To me, given my other hiking experiences in the area, I'd say Fifth Peak was just alright. 2. After making it to the lookout point, we took the advice of a review below and hiked to the water. That involved a steep descent and forcing our way through some sections of poorly cut back trail. The view from the water was stunning, much more impressive than from the lean-to. We came prepared to take a dip in the lake, but I only managed to sit on a ledge for a moment or two before climbing back out. The rocks near the water were quite slippery and the water was very choppy from boat traffic. I consider myself to be a confident swimmer and I was not comfortable going further. We hung out for a little while and then trekked back up. Was it worth the extra couple of miles? The novelty of hiking to the lake was nice - it's definitely a unique view of Lake George as compared to from a lookout point or from a dock/beach. I wouldn't recommend a family with kids or hikers with dogs take on the extra couple of miles as it was steeper than the original hike to the lean-to, and had more loose rock. I definitely would not suggest just anyone use this as a means to hop in the lake as there's a fair amount of risk associated.

Sunday, August 12, 2018

I don’t think the trail marker issue was that bad, a few times we were confused but for the most part we knew where to go! The uphills were killer over all it was a really pretty hike and the views at the top were awesome .

Monday, July 16, 2018

The beginning of the hike was marker well, but about a mile from the lookout point the markers were harder to find. I highly recommend hiking all the way to the water because the view is 100x better and you can go swimming. (Keep following red markers once you find lookout point to get to the water.)

Wednesday, July 04, 2018

This hike was harder than I expected and even a bit confusing at times as the markers weren’t posted frequently. You waste time trying to figure out the direction of the path because the markers are spread out. Nevertheless it was enjoyable and I would recommend it to an avid hiker.

Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Good hike!! But as stated in a few reviews earlier the trail in some spots is very deceiving and poorly marked-- so take your time and be careful-- very easy to go off trail. But is rewarding just the same!

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

A nice hike. Mostly uphill. Fun time. If you’re not in good shape you might get winded a few times going up.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

I ended up liking this hike more than I expected. It has views of a beaver dam, running streams, some rock walls and two nice viewpoints on the summit. It was a steady incline the entire way and is probably more around 5.5 miles total. We made it to the top in 2 hours with several breaks and back down all within an afternoon. Good hike.

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Great hike - was very icy and snowy still with patches of running stream/muddy. We used our spikes the whole time. I would not go without them-It took us about 2 hours to get to fifth peak lean-to. Gradually steep the whole time so this is a great prep for the high peaks ! Absolute beautiful today too!

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Great Moderate trail but keep your eye on the trail signs!

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Beautiful varied trail.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

It was pretty doable, a couple steep sections were a slight challenge, but it wasn't a difficult trip over all, the lean-to was in pretty good condition, but if you plan to camp, have a plan b in case it's taken

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Did the trail Monday with my wife. Great view. Trail markers do throw one off a bit and could be more clear. Beautiful view

Thursday, June 22, 2017

a pleasant outing

Saturday, April 15, 2017

This was a pretty hike. I did take the wrong path twice however. The reddish trail markers turn blue once you reach a sign that is easy to walk past telling you which way to go. The red markers turn to blue and then when you are almost there the markers turn to yellow. Be careful if you take a wrong turn like I did, the 4.7 round trip hike can easily turn into over 9 miles! This app helped a lot when I got some service I opened the map and was able to re direct myself. Overall, enjoyable!