Fifth Peak Trail

Fifth Peak Trail is a 4.7 mile out and back trail located near Bolton Landing, New York and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2 minutes ago

This is my third hike in the Lake George area. Buck and Sleeping Beauty being the other two. There were two distinct parts to our hike on Fifth Peak Trail, so I'll review them separately.
1. Fifth Peak was okay. The views were decent, but not nearly as impressive as Buck. The hike itself was manageable for my hiking partner and I, both of us are athletic and in good shape. I'd give the hike 3/5 stars. To me, given my other hiking experiences in the area, I'd say Fifth Peak was just alright.
2. After making it to the lookout point, we took the advice of a review below and hiked to the water. That involved a steep descent and forcing our way through some sections of poorly cut back trail. The view from the water was stunning, much more impressive than from the lean-to. We came prepared to take a dip in the lake, but I only managed to sit on a ledge for a moment or two before climbing back out. The rocks near the water were quite slippery and the water was very choppy from boat traffic. I consider myself to be a confident swimmer and I was not comfortable going further. We hung out for a little while and then trekked back up. Was it worth the extra couple of miles? The novelty of hiking to the lake was nice - it's definitely a unique view of Lake George as compared to from a lookout point or from a dock/beach. I wouldn't recommend a family with kids or hikers with dogs take on the extra couple of miles as it was steeper than the original hike to the lean-to, and had more loose rock. I definitely would not suggest just anyone use this as a means to hop in the lake as there's a fair amount of risk associated.

I don’t think the trail marker issue was that bad, a few times we were confused but for the most part we knew where to go! The uphills were killer over all it was a really pretty hike and the views at the top were awesome .

The beginning of the hike was marker well, but about a mile from the lookout point the markers were harder to find. I highly recommend hiking all the way to the water because the view is 100x better and you can go swimming. (Keep following red markers once you find lookout point to get to the water.)

This hike was harder than I expected and even a bit confusing at times as the markers weren’t posted frequently. You waste time trying to figure out the direction of the path because the markers are spread out. Nevertheless it was enjoyable and I would recommend it to an avid hiker.

Good hike!! But as stated in a few reviews earlier the trail in some spots is very deceiving and poorly marked-- so take your time and be careful-- very easy to go off trail. But is rewarding just the same!

A nice hike. Mostly uphill. Fun time. If you’re not in good shape you might get winded a few times going up.

I ended up liking this hike more than I expected. It has views of a beaver dam, running streams, some rock walls and two nice viewpoints on the summit. It was a steady incline the entire way and is probably more around 5.5 miles total. We made it to the top in 2 hours with several breaks and back down all within an afternoon. Good hike.

Great hike - was very icy and snowy still with patches of running stream/muddy. We used our spikes the whole time. I would not go without them-It took us about 2 hours to get to fifth peak lean-to. Gradually steep the whole time so this is a great prep for the high peaks ! Absolute beautiful today too!

Great Moderate trail but keep your eye on the trail signs!

Beautiful varied trail.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

It was pretty doable, a couple steep sections were a slight challenge, but it wasn't a difficult trip over all, the lean-to was in pretty good condition, but if you plan to camp, have a plan b in case it's taken

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Did the trail Monday with my wife. Great view. Trail markers do throw one off a bit and could be more clear. Beautiful view

Thursday, June 22, 2017

a pleasant outing

Saturday, April 15, 2017

This was a pretty hike. I did take the wrong path twice however. The reddish trail markers turn blue once you reach a sign that is easy to walk past telling you which way to go. The red markers turn to blue and then when you are almost there the markers turn to yellow. Be careful if you take a wrong turn like I did, the 4.7 round trip hike can easily turn into over 9 miles! This app helped a lot when I got some service I opened the map and was able to re direct myself. Overall, enjoyable!

Monday, February 20, 2017

Part of the tongue stretch, awesome Lake vistas and views of the Green Mountains.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Was a nice hike. A bit longer than the markers say - likely closer to 6mi round trip. Hiked it on a hot humid buggy day. There are areas of climbing interspersed with some areas of flat walking on a wider trail. Nice views.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Longer than listed. At least 3mi one way. Very buggy. Great views!

Monday, July 18, 2016

I believe it to be longer than listed, trails are well marked though.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Little difficult for the inexperienced. Decent views of the lake. Better views of the mountains.

Monday, May 23, 2016

Nice easy trail completed on a beautiful day. The views are amazing. It was longer than stated above, I recorded my trip on the trail and it was 6.6 miles round trip.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Did it on a beautiful sunday... Easy trail with a great view!

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Did Fifth Peak today on a brisk snow flurry day ... if your reasonably in shape you the handful of ascents will have you break a sweat but not overwhelm you. By the time I got to the lean to it the snow picked up and wind blowing it sideways. Very nice hike with varying terrain. Need to go back on a sunny day

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Great hike. It's a little further north on 9N than the directions on here. Go in by the sign that says Clay Meadows Trail. The trail is well marked but definite longer than 5.4 miles, I had it around 7. Overall amazing hike, I'll be going again.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

It was nice but a lot of mosquito, nats and black flyes

Thursday, June 25, 2015

It nice but a lot of bugs

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Did Fifth Peak today in the rain! Thought it would letup but no. Ascents were tough to say the least and you better be in good shape. It's mostly uphill and although it was raining we were able to get a quick pic of the lake. Hung out at the lean to had something to eat and started back down. Very slippery on Rainey days..great hike but not easy!

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Amazing Hike! Not kidding when they say moderate but it was nice to be with family all challenge ourselves :) once you get to the top, do some exploring! The view only get better. Some steep areas but nothing that can't be done.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Excellent hike. Trail head not accurate on this site; it's actually 4.5 miles north of Bolton on 9N (small parking lot just beyond sign). Many options available; to get to Fifth Peak: .2 miles after trail register follow red to blue to yellow markers which takes you to the lean - to and beautiful views. Well marked with only a few particularly rocky sections. Takes about 90 minutes up and just over an hour back down.

Saturday, December 07, 2013

Tip trail head for this hike is actually outside downtown Bolton Landing about 6miles, not where the way point indicates, quite a ways north on 9N. It was called Clay meadows trail head. A couple different options available nice moderate level hike linking up with the tongue mountain range.

Monday, September 23, 2013

My goal was to start conditioning for snowshoeing the high peaks. It was a good work out but also met some really nice folks on the trail.
Shout out to Neal for a one hour blitz back down. Great conversation. You and your wife have been blessed. Hope we can hike again.