Eternal Flame Falls Trail

Eternal Flame Falls Trail is a 0.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near North Boston, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.7 miles Elevation Gain: 104 feet Route Type: Loop

cave

Parking on the side of the road near the end trail is the shortest way into the falls. You can also park in the park and hike in from there.

Very cool trail. Quite a bit of roots down to the creek bed, but easy to navigate. The water fall and flame was a really cool experience!

Muddy trail. Very cool eternal flame at end. Small but still cool to see for short hike. A lot of people had their dogs on trail.

Really easy hike. A little smelly because of the sulfur.

I love this trail, it’s probably my favorite moderate trail that’s super easy to get to from where I live. I see people with young children here all the time, and I just want to say that this trail is TOUGHER than people think. The descent to the creek is very steep, most of the time the creek bed is very flooded, and to get to the flame you basically have to crawl through a hole where trees have fallen over. You’re essentially guaranteed to get your feet wet. Trail can be semi-muddy depending on rain. Be careful!! But it’s gorgeous here, so worth seeing the eternal flame. I bring my dog here all the time and she loves sniffing around and playing in the water. We’ll always come back!

Trail was nicely marked and groomed . Lots of signs warned not to climb the waterfall as it’s dangerous. I decided to do so none the less. Not for the faint of heart, it’s a hard scramble to get up it but the walk back and being able to say “I did that” was well worth it. Proceed with your own judgement though, the water flow was low today and I wouldn’t have done it otherwise.

Poured out just prior to me hitting the trail so conditions were quite muddy but the waterfall was well worth getting dirty. Not the easiest trail, there are a lot of places where you have to climb over and under fallen trees and a lot of traffic but as I said before it is worth the trip. Extremely beautiful setting and very unique waterfall.

There had been a lot of rain the day before so the trail was muddy. Roots were slippery and we had to cross the river twice to stay on trail, but the water was low and it was easy enough. The flame was visible, pretty cool well worth it.

Very nice but I didn’t see any cave which is mentioned in the description ?

Very busy on nice days

Highly recommend this hike. Accessible, albeit a little slippery in the winter. I had micro-spikes which saved me on several occasions from falling on my butt. There are a few downed trees in the ravine that you may need to climb over, depending on the season. You can complete this hike in under 1.5 hours round-trip. Lots of families and dogs on leashes, which speaks to the accessibility of this trail. Video: https://youtu.be/cOG0QYE_OHA

Excellent hike! Plenty of parking in the lot off Chestnut Ridge Rd. , however it is not plowed in the winter (as it is just loose stone.) You would be advised to park and enter the trial off Seufert Rd.) This trial is very well marked! It’s also Great for dogs!

Great hike! Very popular though and multiple water crossings. Be prepared to risk getting wet. Small children will likely need assistance. You can also park off seufert rd for another trail head.