Ellis Hollow Nature Preserve Loop

Ellis Hollow Nature Preserve Loop is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dryden, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels and offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 354 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice trail, great for kids if you follow the “Story book” trail. A book to read and creek to get feet wet.. my kids love it!

Great loop trail, however if you follow the red trail, which is part of this loop, I would rate it as moderate. Well marked, enjoy the stream crossings.

Fun walk in the woods with some minor climbs. Mostly peaceful, some brooks to cross although most were dry when we were here (July). Good place for a run. Nothing mind blowing, but good solitude.

Very easy to get lost. Make sure to follow the marks on the trees. You have to cross the streams several times so bring your ugly shoes. Very quite and scenic. Highly recommend !!

Sun Jan 06 2019

Friends and I took our kids, including a four and a six year old, on a warmish day in January. There was enough mud, stream crossings, and slippery leaf cover on steepish slopes to make the trail feel kid unfriendly. It was a little much for them, but I think that wouldn’t be the case in the drier summer and fall months when the ground would be easier to walk upon. I found it a great trail myself, perfect for taking a decent yet not-too-long walk without having to backtrack.

Fri Jun 29 2018

We stumbled across this site using All Trails and were glad we did. We were in the area and looking for a short trail run and hike and this was perfect. It is a quiet forested area with opportunities for wildlife and peace. A local poet has posted some of their works throughout the system which was neat too. The main loop is about 1.5 miles and there are two shorter loops so you can easily cover about 3 miles or so if you do all three. We spotted a large owl and some neat salamanders/newts on our run. The trail is well marked and easy for trail running. There is a little elevation gain as well. Would definitely go back if we are ever in the area again.

Sun Jun 03 2018

One my most favorite spots to just unwind. Would recommend this one to anyone

Sat Feb 17 2018

An excellent trail that is usually not busy. You start with a strange walk alongside the power plant, but quickly dive into the trees and can enjoy the quiet babbling of the creek running next to the trail. There are a couple different sized loops and they are minimally strenuous, but there are a couple good, short climbs that can get your heart rate up. I would definitely recommend this hike, especially around sunset.

Fri Jun 04 2010

Unlike Eldridge Nature Preserve in which I got lost last time and which has the similar trail length as this one.. the trail was well-marked and it was obvious that a lot of people use this trail. I didn't come across with anyone however, only one extra car in the parking area. That car was gone by the time I came out of the forest. It's a nice quick place to getaway that's not too far from Ithaca.

Mon Oct 15 2018