Elk Pen Loop Trail

Elk Pen Loop Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tuxedo Park, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Great climbs, Lemon Sqeezer, Mines, Lake, Swamps, Views, This was my second time hiking in Harriman. There are many trails to explore in the area. This hike I did today starts out on the A.T. were you climb up Green Pond Mt and then past Island Pong. The trail also takes you through the Lemon Sqeezer, a hole in some ledges that you have to push your way through and then a nice ledge to boulder up. Then the trails climbs up Island pond Mt and Surebridge Mt. Then I took the Ramapo-Dunderberg trail on Finger board and Hogencamp mtn. This stretch of trail has great views of the entire area. It is also the result of a forest fire some time ago. It is neat to see how the vegetation is coming back and you get to see how the landscape looks with very little trees. Then I took the Dunning tr. to the Boston Mine. From there I took the Arden-Surebridge tr. down Green Pond Mt were I saw 4-5ft Black Snake. The best part of the hike was the trails go through many Hemlock forest, past swamps and you get great climbs.

Hello all. I did a modified 19+ mile hike today. Even with the weather it was a nice hike. The standard hike is a medium hike to me. That is why I added more hiking to it.

Overall is pretty moderate/easy. Not able to find the sign in the middle, so detoured to Lichen trail (blue color short cut). Nice view with a small cave, little far away from the lake for picture. Hiked for 5.5hrs as a white collar worker... :p.

I enjoyed the hike, but if you're going because of the Lemon Squeezer you're going to be disappointed. The Lemon Squeezer is only 50 feet long in total so I don't understand why it's even worth mentioning on all these hikes. This loop itself is hard to do without the use of the Alltrails map to keep you on trail because it's a bunch of trails connected to make the loop. You start by following the AT, then the aqua blue blaze, you pick up the white and red dot blaze at the Times Square rock, then you take a yellow blaze, and at some point you turn onto the white with red triangle blaze to finish. Got lost for a bit and had to bushwack my way back onto the loop and wouldn't have know I was lost without following the Alltrails map. Overall I enjoyed the hike. It had some cool things to see. It took me 5 hours and 10 miles to finish

very nice trail. varied terrain. it took about 3.5 hours to do.

Beautiful and diverse trail. It's much longer than AllTrails says. Closer to 8.5 miles than 7. Some areas are more difficult than moderate but overall not hard.

Love it

The loop was great. Had great elevation and extremely beautiful to backpack through. The camping area was awesome as well with many to choose from. Very glad I did this loop

Saturday, April 16, 2016