Elephant's Head Trail

Elephant's Head Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Malone, New York that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The total mileage of the trail is only about 1 mile round trip--I parked my car down the dirt road and walked the road up to the trailhead.

Very snowy currently (March-April 2018). Pretty hard to do without additional gear, but still nice.

It's a longer hike if you park at the end of the road. It's easy and mostly flat all the way to the trail that leads to the mountain. The stairs near the top need repair but otherwise a safe hike with a beautiful view at the top of what actually does resembles an elephant head.

Nice hike if camping at Meacham Lake campground. I parked at the entrance and walked all the way in but the actual trail is about a mile in so you can drive to it there is a decent size place to park. Has a nice view of Titus lake when at the end of the trail.

I feel poorly about giving this trail such a low rating, because I've done it and enjoyed it in the past. However, I recently brought my daughter and young sister here to hike and we were unable to hike here. At the first trailhead by the road we noticed quite a few bees so we decided to continue driving up the rough trail to the second trailhead, and there were still so many bees. I did not feel safe taking either of them out and risking them being stung. I noticed another review from some time ago that mentioned the bees as well.

However I will add that I hiked this mountain last summer around late July - early August and did not see any bees like we did a couple weeks ago (which would have been late June).

Monday, September 19, 2016

Great easy hike with a good view at the summit. Awesome for children or a first time.

Most people park at the first little area right off Route 30 and walk the road to the trailhead. However, you can continue further down the road and find a few parking spots off the side. Or if you are dead-set on just doing the trail itself, you can drive all the way to the trailhead and park there.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Nice little walk/hike! Would be good for kids and dogs. I think it's important to note that on the day I went there were lots of ground bees out for whatever reason. I got stung once and several other hikers told me they did too. Beware if you're very allergic!

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

I'm still not sure I did this hiking trail correctly. I parked right off of the road and then walked for about 3 miles on a sandy road that I thought was the trail (and was a little disappointed) then randomly came upon the trail head marker just as I was about to give up hope. The last half mile hike was lovely! But knowing I had a fairly boring 3 mile walk back to my car was a bit distracting.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Nice hike, 4.25 round trip from first parking spot. Hiking on sandy road until last half mile then up a narrow, mildly steep root filled path. Great view of Lake Titus from the top.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Nice hike. If you have a truck and can drive in, it's not as long of a hike but the road is pretty rough and I would not recommend taking a car in.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

good afternoon hike if your around Malone.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Very easy for kids!!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Great hike from Meacham Lake campground. Very easy walk for first 1.5 miles, leading to gradual slope with some steep climbing near the top.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Easy hike, perfect for children, especially as a first hike or climb. Beautiful in the fall with all the gorgeous reds and yellows in the trees. Very cool set of log stairs for which I have a photo of. Nice sitting rock at the top. Very quiet. Can get muddy in spots, when we went it was quite muddy at the top. Very nice view.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

I started near the highway and walked up the access road to the actual trailhead. From there it's a short, easy jaunt to a hilltop, with a view of Lake Titus. There's a picnic table at the top.

Sunday, April 30, 2017