East Esker Trail

East Esker Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Honeoye Falls, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 574 feet Route Type: Loop

Trailhead is on the north side of Pond Rd, between the intersections of Douglas Rd & Pittsford-Mendon Rd. The parking area is small with a Posted Brown Wooden sign "Horse Trailer Parking" or something similar. This is a nice run with a lot of elevation changes, some of the hills are steep and in wet conditions deep lugged trail shoes are recommended. Pay close attention to the green markers as many have gotten lost on this run/hike.

Our first time hiking this trail - very nice, most parts are in the woods and/or partially shaded. A couple of sections are out in the open near the road but then it goes right back into the woods.

Pleasant enough. Forested trail, well-marked for the first two miles, then a Jeep road to a series of large clearings for picnics and ball games. Beautiful spring Memorial Day with light traffic.

awesome trail, one of my favorites. Saw 5 deer, 1 black squirrel, and 1 perforated wood pecker

Much of this trail was out in the open.Would like to have at least half in the woods.

Not our type of trail. Much of it is in the open and we prefer woods.

Combined some loops to extend my hike since it was so nice out and I wasn't in a hurry. First time here in many, many years. I used to marathon train on this trail. One section was quite wet but otherwise all was dry and even free of bugs. Saw a small snake that was unhappy with my taking a video of it.

Hiked this trail for the first time with my 7 year old son. It was enjoyable and challenging enough for both of us. I would definitely hike it again.

fun, dog friendly. ran into about four dogs off leash, most we're well behaved. some parts had a lot of roots but wasn't that bad. follow the green trail markers.

Absolutely enjoyed this trail. Ups and downs, wooded, ponds, a Vista, lots of wild life the time flew by.

we had a great time on this trail today. It was challenging enough for my wife and I carrying our girls in packs, and it total whiped out the three boys

Saw a black squirrel today as I was heading south past Round Pond, very cool!

The loop was nice. Very easy, and only 4.7 miles. Too many people and roads for my taste, but the access is easy.

Hike this trail frequently with my husband, takes us about 1.5 hrs, not too difficult and has pleasant scenery in the summer. Well marked and well traveled trail. Opportunities to connect to other trails to extend the length.

Good trail overall. If you do the whole trail, bring more water than just a small bottle. Description is misleading. There is no waterfall! NO WATERFALL!!

Nice wide trail, easy to follow. We saw deer and many different birds including a pileated woodpecker and a blue bird. there are easy flat sections interspersed with more moderate hills. Very enjoyable and is on our list of hikes to do again.

Great trail for change of elevation. Only ran into a few people. Great for dogs. Usually see deer.

This is one of my favorite hikes in the area, I have only hiked in the winter. Well marked trail through the woods, some inclines. I would say this is a moderate trail. Imagine it would provide shade during the summer.

pretty great for a nice winter run with the pup!

Fun trail!

not difficult, very beautiful in winter with some snow

We hiked in the fall with dogs. Not many people there, beautiful scenery. Easiest moderately rated trail I have done, loved it. Saw several deer.

Gorgeous! A few of the downhills were crazy steep and icy (first snowfall of the year was yesterday), but we went slow. Definitely need to bring hiking poles next time.

Well marked out and well traveled/ beaten path. Close to roads at times. Plenty of wild life around.

Not a well marked trail. and close to houses and a couple farms. Although there is a abundance of wildlife to be seen.

A very nice trail! Well maintained and easy to tell where the trail is as it is marked consistently with green markers to lead you back to the entrance where you started. Watch out for the occasional horse poop though! I was also able to spot 6 Deer in the woods. Thankfully, no bear at all. Great change in terrain and a good opportunity for trail runners. Overall, very enjoyable trail with decent views. (P. S.) The waterfall really doesn’t exist.

First time hiking in Mendon Ponds Park, there is a variety of trails to choose from. Choose the East Esker Trail due to being a moderate trail that is dog friendly with hilly terrain. The trail was better than expected, a great workout! Did not see any waterfall, but there was a swamp & a pond. Definitely coming back in the fall time for the foliage! The only downside was the horse poop in the middle of the trail, but the dog enjoyed smelling it!

Good workout for beginners but no waterfall

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Great trail. Nice variety of terrain. Not much wildlife on our day