Dunderberg Spiral Railway

Dunderberg Spiral Railway is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tomkins Cove, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

24 minutes ago

6/19/18 We walked south along the road from the parking area to find the trail and took the blue marked trail clockwise around the loop. It was an extraordinary hike but be cautious at the fingertip to turn right and follow the red dots on white background and not combined with blue hash marks.

This is a difficult hike especially when it’s hot and humid so bring plenty of water. There are great relics like and unfinished tunnels. Plenty of wildlife and lovely woodlands and scenic vistas especially the blooming mountain laurel.

Throughly enjoyed this hike...great views of the Hudson along with quiet walking in the woods. Ruins and the well graded roads are fascinating when the fact is considered that the construction took place from 1890-91 and was all done by manual labor. Large parking area off of 9W grants access to this adventure

Nice hike with a few river views between lengthy parts in the woods.
Note: Ramapo-Dunderberg trail (White with Red Circle) has been re-routed between the Tomp-Torne (Blue) intersection to the Timp Pass and differs from the maps.

Rock scramble with steep decline at the ends is challenging if you head west first. Make sure you are in shape for this hike, this is not on the easier side of “hard”.

Beautiful hike with amazing views and greenery.

This hike features many strenuous rock scrambles and inclines and a number of very nice views. This loop also passes over Bald Mountain which provides a great spot to view the Bear Mountain Bridge and the Hudson River below. The temperatures were in the 80s during my hike and with the trees still leafless, the sun was really beating down. I also saw about 7 deer and 1 wild turkey along the way.

A pretty good hike with a lot of scenic view spots. The landscape varies through the trail, and it is a great choice to enjoy the view of Hudson River as well as Bear Mountain Bridge. Some parts are a little bit steep but totally manageable. The only drawback is that at the bottom of the trail near the railway, the freight train can be very loud!

Looking for a long hike I started on the Timp Torne parking lot and after follow the blue I switch for the red dot , having my phone with the App I just continued enjoying the views and the workout! It took me about 4 hours. I loved it!

Rocky in places. Easy to wonder off the trail onto another. But a great chalange.

Dont recommend it as a beginner. Along the trail it does have some great viewpoints.

My partner and I walked this counter clockwise starting about 11AM. We were grateful for the shade provided by the trees.

There are some great views here, and a good range of interesting biodiversity. The short trail offshoots are absolutely worth the added time and distance. Highlights are the railroad tunnels, blueberries, stream crossings.

Like most trails in the area, there are long stretches that are very rocky or covered in shale. Hard soled shoes are the way to go.

If I was to do it all over again, I'd cut across half way to The Timp. Unless you're hiking for the miles, the reward just isn't there.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Forgot that this hike was two different trails and followed the red dot trail a bit out of the ways, but glad I did, it took me to a gorgeous viewpoint. This hike kicked mine and my dogs butt though, definitely one of the harder hikes I've done. I seen 7 miles and figured it'd be a 4hr hike max, but it wound up being 5 and a half, mind you I stop a lot to shoot photos. Great views all through out the hike!

Sunday, February 26, 2017

view was great, but very tough due to long distance.. took 4 hours and 26K steps

Friday, February 24, 2017

Great views.

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Great hike. A bit tough. Took the red and missed the blue that loops back and ended up a mile off.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Took a short cut. Great hike!!

Saturday, November 05, 2016

The start of the trail is about a hundred feet from the parking lot, just walk down the shoulder of the road for a bit. We followed an unmarked path in the middle of the parking lot and ultimately bushwhacked to meet back up with the trail . The veiws are really nice especially the overlook of the bear mountain bridge .

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Nice trail--hooked this on to the TT for a great day.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

did the loop was 7.01 miles in 5 hours. Some steep parts, rocky at times, and many times just an easy walk. Our 8 year old was with us the whole time, so if he can do so cant you :) Recommend a good light weight hiking pole, a gpx map (I used all trails app), water, and lunch to eat half way.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Nice trail that was steep at points, but not for long sections. The hike has graded railroad that is covered in scree (watch your ankles on the way down). Beautiful viewpoints througout the hike. Some sections of the trail get very narrow and go through tall grasses so wear your insect repellent. Interesting to see how man can shape his enviornment, but nature won this time.

Monday, January 19, 2015

Good trail. One of the longer hikes that I have done - GPS logged it as 8.0 miles and I did it in 5hrs. & 20 mins. I followed the Red -on White Ramapo-Dunderberg blazes to the right after the trail splits. You will meet up with the Blue blaze Timp-Torne and follow them all the way home. The conditions were not ideal today - yesterdays rain left a frozen cover of ice on everything. The micro spikes saved my life today. The ice should melt in a day or two if the temps stay about freezing. Track is well maintained and marked. A few scrambles, but mostly nice walking in the woods. Will recommend to friends!

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Fun trail. We went with a pretty large group and it was great for all levels. The views are beautiful from up top. The history of this place is interesting. Trail not clearly marked at some points, so pay attention. Maybe get a map...

Sunday, October 26, 2014

My first hike was on this trail. Great views in multiple directions, up and down the Hudson River, Bear Mountain Bridge, and the Manhattan Skyline amazingly enough.

Thursday, January 02, 2014

Nice gradual ascent from the beginning if you're taking the Timp-Torne or a slightly more difficult way up the Ramapo-Dunderberg trail.
Pretty good views of Peekskill from the RD trail.
If you're up there already, you should make sure to go to The Timp!