Dunderberg Spiral Railway

Dunderberg Spiral Railway is a 7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tomkins Cove, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2080 feet

Dont recommend it as a beginner. Along the trail it does have some great viewpoints.

My partner and I walked this counter clockwise starting about 11AM. We were grateful for the shade provided by the trees.

There are some great views here, and a good range of interesting biodiversity. The short trail offshoots are absolutely worth the added time and distance. Highlights are the railroad tunnels, blueberries, stream crossings.

Like most trails in the area, there are long stretches that are very rocky or covered in shale. Hard soled shoes are the way to go.

If I was to do it all over again, I'd cut across half way to The Timp. Unless you're hiking for the miles, the reward just isn't there.

Forgot that this hike was two different trails and followed the red dot trail a bit out of the ways, but glad I did, it took me to a gorgeous viewpoint. This hike kicked mine and my dogs butt though, definitely one of the harder hikes I've done. I seen 7 miles and figured it'd be a 4hr hike max, but it wound up being 5 and a half, mind you I stop a lot to shoot photos. Great views all through out the hike!

view was great, but very tough due to long distance.. took 4 hours and 26K steps

Great views.