Dover Stone Church

Dover Stone Church is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dover Plains, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

I did this hike almost exactly a year ago with my boyfriend, his friends, and our dogs. We had a great time walking along the trail. The terrain is varied, and there were many interesting things to see on our way to Stone Church. The final portion of the trail leading to SC is a scrabble over wet rocks, so make sure you wear appropriate footwear. All-in-all, I thoroughly enjoyed the trail.

Loved that it was short and dog friendly!
Nice waterfall !

Awesome walk up the creek

An easy walk with a beautiful cave like water fall

Had a great Easter morning at Dover Stone Church. Parked across the street from the blue historical marker then down the stairs and across the field to the trailhead. Right away I could tell that the recent winter storms had done done damage, with one of the trail signs knocked over and lots of trees down along the stream that leads up to the cave and waterfall. Nothing that made it too treacherous, but they've got lots of clean up to do. I followed the rock pathway along the stream up to the cave, and stepped inside as far as I felt was safe. With the snow melt, the waterfall was really gushing and so I just stayed for a few minutes and admired everything. Amazing payoff for such a short, easy hike. I then came back out and decided to do the three other trails, all of which had issues with downed trees, but the marking was still good. Blue trail is by far the hardest, but leads up to a nice rocky overlook with good views of the Harlem Valley. Reminded me a bit of the view from Cat Rocks on the Appalachian Trail, if perhaps a bit less spectacular. On the way down I hooked up with the yellow loop and took that around. It meanders through some shady woods and around some massive rocks. Finally I did the red trail loop at the bottom, which would be a good place to take a dog on a leash. From the red trail there is a somewhat less spectacular overlook of the McDonald's across the road. All in all a really nice visit. Would love to come back when trails are cleaned up and I can venture further into the cave. Highly recommended!

Really enjoyable short little hike with some nice spots to appreciate along the way.

Sunday, April 30, 2017