Doodletown Bridle Path Loop Trail

Doodletown Bridle Path Loop Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bear Mountain, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Everything, including the leaves on the ground, were covered by a thin sheet of slippery ice. This slowed me down a bit, but the whole trail was beautiful. Climbing Bald Mountain with all the ice was difficult but satisfying once I got to the top. The views from the top of the surrounding mountain ranges and the Bear Mountain Bridge were amazing, I cut the hike short due to the ice and wound up returning on Pleasant Valley Rd. I was able to explore the ruins of the abandoned homes and cemeteries of Doodletown to close out the day.

The trail was beautiful, the bald mountain section was incredibly difficult on the downswing. ( way too much ice ) I’d give it another week of the January thaw before attempting again. Besides the ice which is obvious for this time of the year, our group had a blast

It’s a fun run with two beautiful views. I am a city marathoner and trying to mix things up a little. Some parts were really quite rocky, so have the right shoes and prepare for your ankles to hurt the next day haha (great to see an immediate training effect different from asphalt running). At some points it was a little too rocky to really enjoy it as a run, which is why I am giving 4 stars.
Took us around 1.30 h to finish. Trail marks were pretty solid and we rarely had trouble staying on the path, particularly in combination with the app, which is really required because the suggested trail is a mix of two actual trails in the area, I.e. the color / kind of marks to follow change back and forth throughout this hike / run.

We did this hike 2 weeks ago, it's pretty easy, there's a steep incline on the way in, but the road is wide and you can stop along the way. Be sure to look on your left as you're ascending from 9W, there's a trail that leads you down to a stream and waterfall. Nice little pit stop along the way. The houses are now mostly gone and in the spring/summer the greenery makes them hard to see. I definitely want to go back mid-late October. It's quiet, you're far enough away from the roads that you don't hear any traffic. Look out for snakes!

Wonderful trail for a first timer! I highly suggest to download the "Avenza" app on your phone and purchase the "northern Harriman bear mountain trails" map onto the app. It tells you GPS coordinates of where you're walking and saves your trip. The only tricky part of the trail is finding the next "trail marker" ... which can be spotted on trees... rocks...boulders...etc. i highly recommend this beautiful trail. The view from bald mountain was epic

Monday, May 29, 2017

great trail. Very rocky. nice views of the Bear Mt Bridge and Hudson Highlands.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Ehh. I might go again, a little earlier in the morning just to actually find this trail!! Lol got on the trail around 11am and got down around 3:30 but never found Bald Mtn! Trail markers are WEAK the further up the trail you go and even worse coming down. Rough, very rocky terrain. The view was beautiful up on the peak that we made it to but I would've loved to see it on Bald Mtn.. oh well, save it for another day!

Sunday, January 29, 2017

I got there on a saturday around 10AM. there was only 1 other car in the small packing area across from where the trail begins. The trail starts on a incline and you pass by some historic spots with signs that tell you what used to be there. It was pretty icy going to the top of the mountain. Once you get to the top though. you get a amazing view. You go through a lot of rock scrambling which always makes the hike a lot more fun.

The hike is like a roller coaster by bringing you through hills up and down. Markers were easy to locate. I def would try this hike again in the summer when theres no ice.

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Good hike, bit icy but what else would you expect for January

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

little ruins to start you off then onto a steep climb up and down. trail is very clear, didn't get lost this time

Monday, October 31, 2016

Markers and this trail map helped us not get lost. The trail was around 8 miles really. Beautiful walk through the woods. And a Challenge to get up to the timp and bald mountain but the views was well worth it, so beautiful. Once you walk past doodletown that's when the adventure begins and a lot of hiking on rocks!

Sunday, April 17, 2016

A bit boring ..
Nice for a walk outdoors

Monday, April 11, 2016

I really enjoyed this hike! There are some steep parts that made it very tiring, but all in all a pretty enjoyable hike! Just that climb to Bald Mt was tiresome. The view from Timp was amazing! I really hated Timp Pass Road however. It was just walking on large rocks for a while. I took a detour to find Herbert Mine, but alas could not find it :( I pretty sure I found the trail that takes me up that way, but I went pretty high up before I gave up. I figured that I had gone too far and missed it. Next year, I will try again. Doodletown was okay. I didn't see very many people until later in the day during the second leg of my hike through Doodletown. That part went by very quickly as my hikemates were ready to get into the car.

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Great hike but be careful when you get to the top of Bald Mountain- the trail is not clearly marked. Ended up taking a different trail down and taking the Doodletown trail as a separate hike. Both were great hikes. Doodletown was very interesting and fun to explore.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

The hike ended up being 7.9 miles that took just over 4.5 hours, but still was a great day. I started on Rt 9 just before the road out to Iona Island on the Cornell Mine trail. This a good trail that takes you straight up to Bald Mountain. I hooked up with the 'RD' (Ramapo Dunderberg). Stayed on that that trail for approximately 2.2 miles & 1.5 hours until I reached the Timp Pass. Pay attention when on this section of the trail, the markers are very hard to find. There I turned right on an unmarked road for less than 0.06 miles & 3 minutes to cut over to the Timp-Torne trail and up to the West Mountain shelter. I took the Suffern-Bearn Mountain trail just after the shelter down the mountain to meet up with the 1777W trail which I took into Doodletown. The last trail home was the 177E through Doodletown back down to 9W.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Should be a nice one for beginner to start with.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

pretty decent trail with not many scenic views until you reach the top... make sure you don't get lost, its was a hot day when we took the trail and consumed lots of water.. there are couple for small waterfalls which you can enjoy. recommended for people who look for some calm and peaceful walking among the woods.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Did this hike along with bald mountain and bear mountain. Doodletown was an easy hike through doodletown. Lots of plaques.

Monday, November 24, 2014

This was a fantastic hike. Not too many people on the trail. Make sure to follow this map, the trail blazes change up a bit. Many different vistas, all magical. Our dogs will sleep for days!

Sunday, August 10, 2014

We started the hike from the south end of the parking lot inside Bear Mountain State Park. I liked this trail because 1) On a day like today, I was happy for the mostly shady hike. There was some inclines, but no scrambling. 2) The history of Doodletown is amazing. A lot of sites where old homes used to stand and the foundations or stairs are still visible along the trail. There is also a nice waterfall where you can stop, rest and take a few pictures. There are no sweeping mountain views on this hike, but still very nice.

By the way, I didn't know rattlesnakes were in this area! Thank God, we did not see or hear any rattlesnakes - I would have freaked out!

I am fascinated by old cemeteries so seeing the 2nd June Cemetery, and the Herbert Cemetery were the highlights of this hike for me. I hate vandalism. At the intersection to the bridle path there is a sign that tells about the vandalism, and thoughtfully informs you as to where you will be headed if you go south, north, east and west. My guess is that another hiker posted that sign, otherwise I would think a new official sign would have been posted to replace what was there...right? This was my first time on this trail, so I have no idea what the original sign looked like.

In any case, being a newbie, I can say I got this one under my belt. Good fun!

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Doodletown was a pretty decent the first half. It was rocky, then grassy, and then the June family's grave and so on. Somewhere in there, we ended up going on the wrong path which connected elsewhere and walked around 15 miles to get back. It's not too scenic unless you're looking inside the forest but it is pretty nice. We spotted a deer and heard several dozens of rattlesnakes closing in. Some people also vandalized the signs so we didn't know where to head to and ended up on many dead ends. If they could put up a new sign instead of writing 'the map and signs have been taken down", we'd know where we were going. Please check out my blog - theoutdoornetwork2013.tumblr.com/ We also have a videoblog of how we managed to track our outing, so you can check that out on the blog as well.

Monday, October 22, 2012

I loved this hike. It was the first hike I took my girlfriend on and she loved it as well... If your in the area I definitly think this is worth it! Its a good walk plus its great for history buffs and its a little creepy!

Monday, September 10, 2012

Pretty tough trail after you get through the actual doodle town. At the end of doodle town go left into the woods you will head up the mountain and get on the Appalachian trail. It's a solid 5.8 mile hike. Not the easiest of trails lots of rocks lots of water from recent storm. They do warn you when you get on trail there could be timber rattlers on the trail so if you bring pets be careful. I did not see any. Being in doodle town is quite eerie. It was abandoned in 1965 and that's exactly what it looks like. Like someone was there one day and now it's gone. Most of the buildings are not there any more and if they r they r only foundations. You can see where steps used to go up to houses. Old cemeteries go back to early 1800s. Very nice hike took me and my girlfriend 3 hours.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Good hike for all. Historical trail. Good wildlife & fauna. Pretty lake. Bring the family.