Dix Range is a 14.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near North Hudson, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Hiking all five mountains in the Dix range can make for a long day. Once at elevation on the range, traveling between the mountains is not too difficult. Leaving the DEC trail at the Slide Brook start following a herd path up Macomb. The remaining trail on the range is considered a herd path all the way through to Beckhorn before reconvening with the DEC trail to finish ascending Dix. Despite being herd paths, the trails receive enough foot traffic to make traversing the range quite easy. The rock scramble up Macomb is much easier ascending as the terrain is loose rock/dirt. Doing the range as a loop does require an out and back from S. Dix to Grace Peak.

A challenging but rewarding hike with amazing views and fall foliage. We got to the parking lot at 5:45 A.M., and all the regular spots were filled so we had to create one that was still reasonable within the parking lot. Trail was very muddy from all the rain so wear waterproof boots because it’s unavoidable to not step in mud. Elevation gain was killer so be prepared. It took us a total of 12 hours to finish the loop starting up Macomb and ending at Dix. We stopped at each peak, but not for too long, we just had to stop 10 min after each peak to take off some layers. AWESOME HIKE - just plan ahead!

Awesome hike!

Parking- I didn't realize the trailehead and parking lot is located on private property. Driving up Elk Lake Rd you'll come across many private property and posted signs. That confused me, but the parking lot is public. The lot was full by 6:30am. I spoke to a hiker who got there at 6pm the night before and he said there were only a few spots. Another hiker said the lot was full when he arrived at 4:30am. The overflow lot is 2 miles down the rd. from the trailhead.

I went up Macomb and down Dix. I did this simply because I wanted a view on my way up the mountain. Dix is all forest until you're at the summit. If you go up Macomb at least you have an awesome view if you take a break. The trail is great and easy to follow. It was pretty muddy. The only hiccup I ran into was missing the turn for slide brook trail. It comes on quick. It's right at the campsites about 50 ft. before the lean to. If you hit the lean to you've gone to far. Each summit has a great view. I was lucky enough to have each summit to myself for at least 10 minutes.

I left the trailhead at 7:30am and got back at 6pm. I spent 15-30 minutes on each peak. My Fitbit clocked the loop as being 20 miles not 14.3. I brought 2L of water. There is water on the descent from Dix in which I was able to fill another liter. Lots of rock scrambling- especially on the descent from Dix. I think I'm in pretgy good shape and was able to run a bit of the trail. I still found parts of it challenging but totally worth it. Met a lot of nice people on the trail but was able to be solo for most of it.

Day trip, all 5 Peaks. My iWatch logged 19 miles, which is far more than the OP’s 14.1 or other reviewers’ ~16. Went up the Macomb side which has a several hundred foot sandy rock slide that was steep but doable, could see it being challenging to unsafe as a down climb. First three miles are pretty flat but it gets steeper after the camping area, then moderate to flat once you get up into the range. Nothing so challenging as the rock slide before Macomb. Downclimb from Dix is steep but safer. Clear herd paths the entire way after the camp area both sides of the loop. Bring plenty of water — I didn’t and didn’t have purifiers for any of the streams in the last 3 miles back. 8am-6pm for a 10 hour hike total, with ample stops on Macomb and Dix and rests in other places (~1 hour total?)

Hiked the Dix range 8/31/18. Started the ascend via the Macomb slide. Macomb slide wasn’t to bad, just make sure you make your way to the right as soon as possible and go up the right. Enjoyed views from the first 3 peaks then the clouds rolled in. Views from east Dix are amazing! The hike to Hough was the toughest in the range but definitely doable. Spent about 30 mins on each summit which made a day really long day. Descend via the beckhorn trail. Total moving time 10 hours. Definitely look forward to doing east Dix again to enjoy the views again. I will also go back to do Hough and Dix to see what views I was missing but I will probably ascend the Lilian brook trail. Amazing hike and all trails helped me tremendously to make sure we were on the right herd path

My first hike in the Adirondacks! Three observations: (1) they don't do much trail engineering in the ADK's, I did not pass a single water bar this day (muck and water everywhere as it rained hard the previous few days...not so pleasant), (2) Most of what I hiked was on "herd paths", semi-planned trails cut by hikers, not the ADK Club or others and consisting of many "class 3" short climbs/descents over ledges, and (3) The NY DEC only "manages and maintains" about half the park trails (I've heard) but this doesn't make much difference except for overgrowth. My point, these trails are more rustic and unrefined compared to, let's say, the trails you'd find in the White or Green Mountains. Once I adjusted to that, I was fine. Regarding direction, I'd say going up the Beckhorn Trail to Dix first might be superior to going up the Macomb slide, there are more technical ledge challenges over there. Finally, this is a SUPER GREAT trek and one you could easily break up into 2 hikes (do Beckhorn/Dix one day, the other peaks another day). My day, with a 15-20 min break on each peak:
Elk Lake Trailhead 6:30am start
(the parking area was full by 6am!)
Macomb 9am, +4 miles, +2300' gain
South Dix 10am, +5 miles, +2600'
Grace 11am, +6.25 miles, +3000'
S Dix (return) 12N, +7.5 miles, +3400'
Hough 1:30pm, +8.5 miles, +4000'
Beckhorn 2:30pm +9.5 miles, +4900'
Dix 3pm, +10 miles, +5000'
Elk Lake Trailhead 6pm, +16 miles, +5250'
Elk Lake Lodge Dinner Served: 6pm!

Solid day of hiking, completed all 5 peaks in the Dix Range. Started from the Elk Lake trailhead at 6am. Going up the slides of Macomb wasn't too difficult, just had to be very careful of each step as rocks could become loose and cause you to slip and fall possibly. Macomb was steep but offered great views. South Dix & East Dix (Grace Peak) were easy to get to, Grace had the better views. Hiking up Hough was tough and very steep. Hough to the Beckhorn & Dix was steep in a few spots but overall not too bad. Summited Dix by 12:30pm. Went down the trail via the Beckhorn, steep going down and a bit slippery. Total time of 10.5 hours (including an hour on top of Dix), 15.8 miles round trip.

Took 11 hours truck to truck. Would say I'm in OK shape. Get there early to get a spot to park. Did Macomb first, would recommend that way, wouldn't like going down the slide. If you went all the way to the bottom of slide you'd miss the trail too. Made it to Hough by 1145am started at 630am. On the way from Hough to Dix but before the intersection of Beckhorn trail you will find two large rocks forming a V shape. Don't go to the right or left go straight up the V.

Did this on August 1st. Definitely not an easy hike. We went up Macomb first and down Dix. If you're doing Macomb, be sure to take a right immediately after the bridge that has ribbons on it. You'll see it through the camp site and if you go past the lean to you've gone too far. The slide is definitley scary. The views were nice there and at South Dix past the summit tree. We hit some bad weather and couldn't see anything for the next 3 peaks. Getting up Dix was very difficult since the rock we had to get over was well above our heads. Going down Dix is scary and since it was raining, we practically slid down. Glad we finished it and hope one day we can do it and actually see the summits!

Wow, this was incredible. Every turn, every view, every part of this hike was amazing. The reward at the end of every summit is worth every challenge leading up to it. Truth too, once you are on the range (regardless of approach) you will be set.

Started at the Dix Trailhead at 5:30a
(the rock face scramble leading into Macomb is a challenge (understatement), but you'll be glad you did it this way)
#41 Macomb Mountain summit at 7:10a
#42 South Dix Mountain summit at 8:15a - everything around leading in and out of this summit is amazing.
#43 Grace Peak summit at 8:50a - My favorite
Back to the South Dix junction around 9:40a
#44 Hough Mountain summit at 10:21a
#45 Dix Mountain at 11:46a- My second favorite

Went up Dix first to get the steeper done first, got there at sunrise after starting at 2am from the campsite. Views were gorgeous! Going down Macomb was not as bad as I had anticipated, just go slowly, finding the trail off of Macomb was tricky, but it is off to the right when going down, you’ll find it if you travel slowly. Was a great hike! Took us 12hrs, after spending about 20 minutes on each summit except S. Dix. Took the beagle too, he loved it! :)

This hike is a big one but offers so much. I completed this today in 10 hours on the dot with 5-10 minutes on each peak and 20 on Dix. We started up Macomb (I recommend this way because traveling up Dix via the beckhorn trail is insanely steep and unforgiving and going down the macomb slide seems super dangerous due to the steep slide and loose rock/dirt). After walking in via the hunters pass trail (45 mins from trailhead), the slide brook trail starts by going through a campsite (which was awkward so we just quickly walked through the site to the cairn and trail). The slide is not to be taken lightly, definitely easier going up the side, it’s a real gasser. Got to the top of Macomb (wooden summit sign) in exactly 2 hours from sign-in. 30 minutes over to South Dix (summit- “ X- S Dix” carved in a tree). Another 30 over to East Dix (no summit sign, big high Boulder is summit). Then back to South Dix up to Hough which was a little longer and more challenging (summit- yellow trailmarker “hough”). From hough to Dix (summit cap in rock) was the most challenging as far as going peak to peak (I felt getting up the slide and to macomb was the bulk of the hard work for the day...until the Dix descent). Dix summit is one of the best in the Adirondacks. After Dix we went down the beckhorn trail which is one of the steepest trails I’ve ever descended. It’s comically steep. Once getting to the bottom we hit the 4.3 mile hunters pass trail back to the trailhead. The ascent up macomb and the descent were the hardest part of this hike. But each peak has an awesome view and great spots to hang out and it’s fun going to peak to peak here because you often have a view throughout the hike. An excellent hike if you’re looking for a long day, just be prepared!

Some areas were tricky, but the views were well worth it. There were some muddy areas but nothing terrible.

Excellent views, long day!!! But worth every step and hour.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

This was amazing but hard. We did it over 2 days.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Absolutely one of my favorite ranges in the entire ADK's! Excellent views atop all 5 summits. Some great climbing and the range traverse was quite easy. There is a decent col between Macomb and S.Dix but definitely doable.

Now the issue I had come across was that I had climbed up Dix and descended Macomb which did become a little problematic. The Macomb slide could be a bit of a bear descending as it is all loose stone (got quite a few cuts and bruises). Also I had lost the herd path heading in that direction forcing me to traverse a lot of deadfall throughout the stream- adding much more time (about 2 additional hours) than I had hoped. Completely wet and bleeding from that stream, I had finally found the herd path on the bank with only about 100 ft remaining until the actual DEC trail.

Outside my Macomb descent flub up, this is an awesome full day range and I can't wait to go back.

Monday, July 24, 2017

Incredibly rewarding hike. Started from elk lake overflow parking so added another ~3 miles to the distance. We decided to get the elevation out of the way early so a ~4.3 mile hike to the dix summit path and then hough, s dix, e dix and macomb before descending the rock slide on the way in. Total time was 12 hours with short stops on the peaks and a slow amble down from macomb when finished. A great adirondack hike.

EDIT: My friends and I made the exact same mistake Adam Yetter who wrote a review above me did. The All Trails app for the path covered the stream and it wasn't until I pulled out my ADK map and checked that unnoticed the herd path running adjacent. We must have missed some cairns. Don't be like us.