rock climbing

Awesome hike!

Parking- I didn't realize the trailehead and parking lot is located on private property. Driving up Elk Lake Rd you'll come across many private property and posted signs. That confused me, but the parking lot is public. The lot was full by 6:30am. I spoke to a hiker who got there at 6pm the night before and he said there were only a few spots. Another hiker said the lot was full when he arrived at 4:30am. The overflow lot is 2 miles down the rd. from the trailhead.

I went up Macomb and down Dix. I did this simply because I wanted a view on my way up the mountain. Dix is all forest until you're at the summit. If you go up Macomb at least you have an awesome view if you take a break. The trail is great and easy to follow. It was pretty muddy. The only hiccup I ran into was missing the turn for slide brook trail. It comes on quick. It's right at the campsites about 50 ft. before the lean to. If you hit the lean to you've gone to far. Each summit has a great view. I was lucky enough to have each summit to myself for at least 10 minutes.

I left the trailhead at 7:30am and got back at 6pm. I spent 15-30 minutes on each peak. My Fitbit clocked the loop as being 20 miles not 14.3. I brought 2L of water. There is water on the descent from Dix in which I was able to fill another liter. Lots of rock scrambling- especially on the descent from Dix. I think I'm in pretgy good shape and was able to run a bit of the trail. I still found parts of it challenging but totally worth it. Met a lot of nice people on the trail but was able to be solo for most of it.