Dix Range

Dix Range is a 14.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near North Hudson, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Doing all 5 mountains in the Dix range can make for a long day. Once at elevation on the range, traveling between the mountains isn't too difficult. Leaving the DEC trail at the Slide Brook Lean-to you start following a herd path up Macomb. The remaining trail on the range is considered a herd path all the way through to Beckhorn before reconvening with the DEC trail to finish ascending Dix. Despite being herd paths, they receive enough foot traffic to make traversing the range quite easy. The rock scramble up Macomb is much easier ascending as the terrain is loose rock/dirt. Doing the range as a loop does require an out and back from S. Dix to Grace Peak.

Absolutely one of my favorite ranges in the entire ADK's! Excellent views atop all 5 summits. Some great climbing and the range traverse was quite easy. There is a decent col between Macomb and S.Dix but definitely doable.

Now the issue I had come across was that I had climbed up Dix and descended Macomb which did become a little problematic. The Macomb slide could be a bit of a bear descending as it is all loose stone (got quite a few cuts and bruises). Also I had lost the herd path heading in that direction forcing me to traverse a lot of deadfall throughout the stream- adding much more time (about 2 additional hours) than I had hoped. Completely wet and bleeding from that stream, I had finally found the herd path on the bank with only about 100 ft remaining until the actual DEC trail.

Outside my Macomb descent flub up, this is an awesome full day range and I can't wait to go back.

Incredibly rewarding hike. Started from elk lake overflow parking so added another ~3 miles to the distance. We decided to get the elevation out of the way early so a ~4.3 mile hike to the dix summit path and then hough, s dix, e dix and macomb before descending the rock slide on the way in. Total time was 12 hours with short stops on the peaks and a slow amble down from macomb when finished. A great adirondack hike.

EDIT: My friends and I made the exact same mistake Adam Yetter who wrote a review above me did. The All Trails app for the path covered the stream and it wasn't until I pulled out my ADK map and checked that unnoticed the herd path running adjacent. We must have missed some cairns. Don't be like us.