Dix Range

Dix Range is a 14.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near North Hudson, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Hiking all five mountains in the Dix range can make for a long day. Once at elevation on the range, traveling between the mountains is not too difficult. Leaving the DEC trail at the Slide Brook start following a herd path up Macomb. The remaining trail on the range is considered a herd path all the way through to Beckhorn before reconvening with the DEC trail to finish ascending Dix. Despite being herd paths, the trails receive enough foot traffic to make traversing the range quite easy. The rock scramble up Macomb is much easier ascending as the terrain is loose rock/dirt. Doing the range as a loop does require an out and back from S. Dix to Grace Peak.

This hike is a big one but offers so much. I completed this today in 10 hours on the dot with 5-10 minutes on each peak and 20 on Dix. We started up Macomb (I recommend this way because traveling up Dix via the beckhorn trail is insanely steep and unforgiving and going down the macomb slide seems super dangerous due to the steep slide and loose rock/dirt). After walking in via the hunters pass trail (45 mins from trailhead), the slide brook trail starts by going through a campsite (which was awkward so we just quickly walked through the site to the cairn and trail). The slide is not to be taken lightly, definitely easier going up the side, it’s a real gasser. Got to the top of Macomb (wooden summit sign) in exactly 2 hours from sign-in. 30 minutes over to South Dix (summit- “ X- S Dix” carved in a tree). Another 30 over to East Dix (no summit sign, big high Boulder is summit). Then back to South Dix up to Hough which was a little longer and more challenging (summit- yellow trailmarker “hough”). From hough to Dix (summit cap in rock) was the most challenging as far as going peak to peak (I felt getting up the slide and to macomb was the bulk of the hard work for the day...until the Dix descent). Dix summit is one of the best in the Adirondacks. After Dix we went down the beckhorn trail which is one of the steepest trails I’ve ever descended. It’s comically steep. Once getting to the bottom we hit the 4.3 mile hunters pass trail back to the trailhead. The ascent up macomb and the descent were the hardest part of this hike. But each peak has an awesome view and great spots to hang out and it’s fun going to peak to peak here because you often have a view throughout the hike. An excellent hike if you’re looking for a long day, just be prepared!

Some areas were tricky, but the views were well worth it. There were some muddy areas but nothing terrible.

Excellent views, long day!!! But worth every step and hour.

This was amazing but hard. We did it over 2 days.

Absolutely one of my favorite ranges in the entire ADK's! Excellent views atop all 5 summits. Some great climbing and the range traverse was quite easy. There is a decent col between Macomb and S.Dix but definitely doable.

Now the issue I had come across was that I had climbed up Dix and descended Macomb which did become a little problematic. The Macomb slide could be a bit of a bear descending as it is all loose stone (got quite a few cuts and bruises). Also I had lost the herd path heading in that direction forcing me to traverse a lot of deadfall throughout the stream- adding much more time (about 2 additional hours) than I had hoped. Completely wet and bleeding from that stream, I had finally found the herd path on the bank with only about 100 ft remaining until the actual DEC trail.

Outside my Macomb descent flub up, this is an awesome full day range and I can't wait to go back.

Incredibly rewarding hike. Started from elk lake overflow parking so added another ~3 miles to the distance. We decided to get the elevation out of the way early so a ~4.3 mile hike to the dix summit path and then hough, s dix, e dix and macomb before descending the rock slide on the way in. Total time was 12 hours with short stops on the peaks and a slow amble down from macomb when finished. A great adirondack hike.

EDIT: My friends and I made the exact same mistake Adam Yetter who wrote a review above me did. The All Trails app for the path covered the stream and it wasn't until I pulled out my ADK map and checked that unnoticed the herd path running adjacent. We must have missed some cairns. Don't be like us.

recorded Dix Range