Dix Mountain via Dix Trail

Dix Mountain via Dix Trail is a 13.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Dix was my ninth high peak. I thought it would take us 6-7 hours, but it took 8:15 (we took about two 10-minute breaks). It was a moderate hike (a nice walk in the woods compared to typical high peaks terrain) until you get to the great slide. The slide is magnificent, my favorite part of the hike. From there, the terrain becomes much more technical, climbing over rocks. It was wet and misty, which compounded the difficulty, especially while descending. The wet terrain probably added an hour to the hike because I am a very cautious descender (recovering from an injury). Mist also prevented us from having any views, but I would imagine the views would be amazing, from the slide and the summit. Our Golden Retriever did a great job, it was his first high peak. He loved the streams, brooks, and pond. Round Pond was beautiful, I got to sit on a rock while the pup swam around on the way back to the trailhead.

On 9/3/18, humid day, temps good. Parked at Clear Lake and bikes in to the Elk Lake parking and stated from there. 3.7 mi hike to the split. If you are not an experienced hiker you will have a hard time attempting this climb. I’m 5’3” and had to use some rock climbing to get up the mountain. Some boulders are very tall on Beckhorn side and are a challenge to climb.We did a loop - up through Hunter’s Pass and down Beckhorn Trail. Awesome views from Dix! Although not hiking really fast it took us 9 hours without any long breaks. Definitely a challenging hike.

This hike is a work out. 9 1/2 hours out and back. Easy until you go back into the forest after being on the slide. You get your typical Adirondack scramble. But even though it’s hard, it’s has great views! Well worth it.

This trail was an "Adirondak classic" through and through, with quadriceps-tolling rock scrambles and thick dense trails peppered with the typical late spring mud at times. These challenges aside, you have a beautiful panorama at the top that gives you a 360 degree view of the daks, and a view of the Green and White Mountains if it is clear out.

recorded Dix