Devil's Path Trail

Devil's Path Trail is a 21.8 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Hunter, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

Beautiful in autumn

Hiked this mountainous montage a few weeks back. Totally worth the challenge. Spent a night between sugarloaf and plateau and the second night on buttermilk falls. Plateau mountain was by far the most challenging and offered two excellent viewpoints. Westkill summit best view for sure. Getting back to the car after 25 miles of hiking was a great sight as we reached the end of our journey.

holy crap. this was an amazing epic hike that I couldn't finish after coming off plateau to route 214. I met up with three women this spring that I had never met before and they kept me going. super tough trails. one minute you're going straight up and another trying to figure out how the hell to get down. I still have yet to complete the second part. lots of ledges to take in views from. loved how the forest and terrain changed mile to mile.

Did the western half from tombstone campground to the northern trailhead. 11.5 miles. 3700 elevation gain. Raining. It was tough but the elevation was quite low in comparison to posted elevations. 4 hours.

Completed in 14 hours. Excellent trail but not one to underestimate in 1 day

Great pace and interesting features. Make sure your foot work game is on point!

This was a very challenging hike. Very fun. Only had a few nice lookout view points thought, which is why it only got 4/5 stars

Hiked the portion from Hunter Fire Tower up to Leavitts Peak ( SW Hunter) to bag another 3500 peak. Awesome "bushwhack". A must do!!

did the whole trail about 3 weeks ago. lots of ice on the 2nd twin and back side of sugarloaf. Otherwise i was a great trip.

The DP trail is longer. The options on this app short the trail by a 3-4 miles. Do that extended part near Platte Clove for that badge of courage! Although there are dozens of variations out there.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Did a short section of the Devils Path on the return from Hunter Mtn. Was very rocky and was in a gully. There were many chances to bypass the gully by walking on the edges. Rough on the knees as you rock hop down the trail trying to avoid the leaves that cover the loss rock underneath.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Did the loop that involved part of the Devils Trail. One mike section has a 1200 foot incline. Make sure you have really good boots Difficult hike, limited views

Sunday, July 17, 2016

I decided to create this as a new trail because the other "Devil's Path" trail on Alltrails is inaccurate. It misses two large parts of the trail. Also, I would consider this a point to point trail, not an out and back...

Anyway, on to the review...

This is a difficult trail, but not because of its length, but rather its steep elevation ascents and descents. Starting from the East side (Prediger Road Via Indian Head), there are many knee-busting descents which can lower anyone's moral.

I didn't finish it due to this reason, but I'll be back.

It has beautiful rock formations that create several cliffs and overhangs...

The Mink Hollow Shelter is really nice too. It even has an outhouse.

I suggest wearing boots with good ankle support, and trekking poles as well. However, the trekking poles can be useless at points due to the steep descents where you'll have to scramble and use your hands for safety.

I will update this review soon, once I get a chance to complete the trail. 07/15/16

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Awesome

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

East section from Prediger Road to Devils tombstone camping in 1 day. July 12. Hard. Much scrambling. Only Plateau mountain has level section. Found water at Mink Hollow

Monday, June 20, 2016

did a portion from rt 214 to platue mountain
6mi round trip. 1800' elevation change. pretty aggressive for me. first hike of the season. nice hike with a couple of good views

Monday, June 20, 2016

So, not sure I'd call this the hardest hike on the East Coast, nor the most dangerous, but it was a nice challenge. Two friends and I started this trail at the Eastern Terminus on Prediger Road on Friday night, hiked in about a mile and a half to where the Devil's Kitchen Lean To is (slightly off the main trail), and slept for the night. Woke up around 6:30am next day, and we were on the trail by 8am. Indian Head was a tough climb, and it took us a bit to get into our rhythm, but we set a good pace, and finished the hike from Devil's Kitchen Lean-to (over Indian Head, Twin, Sugarloaf, and Plateau) to arrive at Devil's Tombstone Campground by 6pm. We look a few long breaks at the overlooks along the way to relax and eat since we weren't in any particular rush. Stopping at Devil's Tombstone for the night was nice. Since we arrived with a couple hours of daylight left, we were able to relax some more and enjoy a fire. Next morning, woke up a bit later at 7:30am and were on the trail by 8:30am. The hike up Hunter Mountain that morning was probably my low point, and the most challenging of the ascents for the weekend. Getting to the waterfalls in between Hunter and West Kill was a perfect place to lounge for a bit and cool off in the water mid-morning before getting back on the trail. Getting to Buck Ridge lookout on West Kill was certainly the highlight of the weekend. We spent close to an hour there for lunch before finishing up the last 4.5 miles of the trip. We ended around 4pm back at one of our parked cars at Spruceton Road at the Western Terminus.

Overall, although the up-and-down of the six mountains was challenging, it certainly wasn't the *most* challenging trail, in my opinion. Although, maybe if you do it as a day hike, it could be considered so. I still enjoyed it, and the many rock scrambles and chutes were fun. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for something that will kick their butt and push them a bit harder :-)

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

This hike definitely hold its name. I only packed 22 lb and started my hike with my husband who carried about 35lb.. This was our make or break of marriage... I trained myself physically for over two months as I was preparing for Mt. Baker in July so this was a part of our training. It was intense, the first night (Friday) we hiked 6 miles looking for somewhere to camp overnight (150ft from trail) hiked the next 14 miles saturday and it was hell due to the rain from 2 days ago... it was raining in and out making the terrain even more rugged.. It definitely made me appreciate myself more as a person by the 3rd day Sunday when we managed to get off I had already made the decision for divorce.. and it was the best decision ever!!! That hike kicked my a$$ but made me so much stronger!! hahahaha was my personal killer retreat!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

2 days with a 40 lb pack. Def a extreme challenge. If you want something more challenging I suggest you give pemi loop in NH a shot. Overall an awsome experience.

Sunday, December 13, 2015