Devil's Path: Indian Mountain, Twin Mountain, Plateau Mountain Loop

Devil's Path: Indian Mountain, Twin Mountain, Plateau Mountain Loop is a 19.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hunter, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

My husband and I hiked the loop with our dog, camping overnight at Jimmy Dolan Notch. There's been a lot of rain this month, so there was water everywhere, little creeks and waterfalls. We came up via the eastern leg of the loop. It started off fairly easy, but turned into one of the tougher hikes we've done. Several spots where our dog couldn't make the jumps (he's got stubby little legs), and we had to ferry him up the rocks or carry him up balanced on one knee as we pulled ourselves up with tree roots. Not easy with our packs on. Between the challenge of the dog and the fact that our camp stove crapped out on us, we had to call our trip a little short, and we just hiked back down the next morning via the western leg. The descent was easier, the elevation change was definitely steadier on the western side of the loop.

Overall, this was a gorgeous, well-marked hike, and we fully intend to come back (without the doggo) and try it again. Challenging, beautiful, and well worth the drive from NYC.

With overnight gear, this is a trek. Don’t pay attention to the mile markers on the trail - use your gps. Plenty of mis cues. Be prepared for serious ascents and technical descents. Kind of a blast but a mother ef for sure.

Hiked Suagloaf, Plateau, and some of Twin last year. If you're looking for a challenge, I would definitely recommend hiking these mountains. Did it as a day hike and I was there for a good 6-7 hours. I know everyone's skill level is different but this one really pushed my limits.
Be prepared to do some dangerous rock scrambles, which are made even more difficult when wet. And to possibly be very sore the next day,

It was fine except that when your finished your legs are KILLING you

Tough as nails. Do not underestimate.

Parked the car at Devil's Tombstone Campground where Smiley's Taxi awaited to take us to the trailhead at Prediger Road. The plan was to do Indian Head, Twin, Sugarloaf, and Plateau.

Started at 8 am and hit Indian Head first. Everyone said it would be the hardest, but this is incorrect. Read on. The ascent was challenging with several steep sections that required abandoning hiking poles and scrambling on hands and feet. Several breathtaking views await. Descent is moderate.

Next up was Twin mountain. The ascent was shorter than Indian Head's but felt more strenuous in some sections. You will hit the first (lowest) summit of Twin to great views. It's an easy hike to the second, true summit of Twin, good views here as well. The descent from Twin is pretty steep. Kind of an ass kicker. Good footwork is essential here.

Sugarloaf is next. Very steep ascent, where I saw several people I had been bumping into on previous summits start to show signs of exhaustion. The summit is short and nothing to write home about. The descent is pretty steep and will test many. I met groups at the bottom of Sugarloaf that had members call it quits here.

Without a doubt, Plateau is the true test of anyone attempting this hike. Take advantage of the "spring" during the approach to refill water bottles or refresh yourself. The ascent itself is very very challenging, perhaps even more so since it'll be the fourth and last mountain of the day. By the time I reached the summit, which is not memorable at all save for the feeling of relief, I was completely gassed out. Enjoy the flat hiking atop Plateau (~2.2 mi) and get ready for the descent down to campground, which is steep and seems endless.

All in all, a great day and a very enjoyable challenge.

Great trail. The first half is one of the tuffest trails ive hiked. Be ready because there is no ridge line. You have to hike up and down ever single mountain. But the shelters are well kept and adaquitly spread apart.

How do you get there for nyc on public transportation?

We only did Indian Head and Twin Mountain, but the trail certainly lived up to its name. It was a very difficult climb that left us exhausted by the end. The trail had several challenging sections throughout, but rewarded you with a spectacular view at the top of Twin. One of the best views we’ve ever seen in the Catskills and definitely worth the visit.

This time of year hosted a ridiculous amount of flies and mosquitos which pestered us throughout the whole hike. Fortunately, we met some people at the beginning of the trail who had the forethought to bring bug spray and offered us some. Definitely bring some, or you will regret it.

This is a great hike but really lives up to the name Devils Path. We did this as a day (as I do not like to camp) and it took over 9 hours to complete. It was without a doubt the most challenging hike I have ever done. Steep climbs and some challenging terrain on a hot August day was a bit intense.

tough trail. started in prediger and camped back country near the trail head. camped in mink hollow first night. then at devil's acre lean to the second. will have to finish remaining portion another time. I ended up bailing from there to mt. Hunter fire tower and then took chairlift down to bus in Hunter back to NYC - all like clockwork. day one was by far the hardest with Indian Head the twins and Sugarloaf. the second twin is really steep going down east side. then coming of 214 up the side of Hunter from devil's tombstone is also incredibly steep and in this case given the rains also slippery. no water on the east part of the devil's path as you ascend Indian Head until other side of Sugarloaf. nice springs at mink hollow and devil's acre. camping is possible but have to look around for spots. trail is very well marked throughout.

Hiking Devil's Path next weekend over two days. Hiked about six of the 3500s and am a bit nervous about taking on Devil's Path. Any advice to make it a safe and fun adventure? We are giving ourselves two full days to finish staying at campgrounds in between. Thanks!

One of my favorite hikes in the Northeast. It is physically challenging but you are rewarded with a few different ecosystems, beautiful forest streams, and various mountaintop views. The weather shifted on me a few times over the three days I spent - be prepared for rain and with layers. Descending these mountains is incredibly slick and slower in the rain. Save enough daylight to seek out flat ground for camping (which, for example, you won't find while headed up Sugarloaf or Plateau). I was swamped with mosquitoes on West Kill, so find some [nature-friendly, non-toxic] bug spray for your trip.

I had a friendly local (met earlier as he brought friends in directly from Hunter) come pick me up after hitch hiking to the firestation for a phone... I had no cell signal after finishing the trail. Otherwise you can call a taxi to drive you back to your car.

Beautiful in autumn

Hiked this mountainous montage a few weeks back. Totally worth the challenge. Spent a night between sugarloaf and plateau and the second night on buttermilk falls. Plateau mountain was by far the most challenging and offered two excellent viewpoints. Westkill summit best view for sure. Getting back to the car after 25 miles of hiking was a great sight as we reached the end of our journey.

holy crap. this was an amazing epic hike that I couldn't finish after coming off plateau to route 214. I met up with three women this spring that I had never met before and they kept me going. super tough trails. one minute you're going straight up and another trying to figure out how the hell to get down. I still have yet to complete the second part. lots of ledges to take in views from. loved how the forest and terrain changed mile to mile.

Did the western half from tombstone campground to the northern trailhead. 11.5 miles. 3700 elevation gain. Raining. It was tough but the elevation was quite low in comparison to posted elevations. 4 hours.

Completed in 14 hours. Excellent trail but not one to underestimate in 1 day

Great pace and interesting features. Make sure your foot work game is on point!

Friday, July 28, 2017

This was a very challenging hike. Very fun. Only had a few nice lookout view points thought, which is why it only got 4/5 stars

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Hiked the portion from Hunter Fire Tower up to Leavitts Peak ( SW Hunter) to bag another 3500 peak. Awesome "bushwhack". A must do!!

Thursday, May 04, 2017

did the whole trail about 3 weeks ago. lots of ice on the 2nd twin and back side of sugarloaf. Otherwise i was a great trip.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

The DP trail is longer. The options on this app short the trail by a 3-4 miles. Do that extended part near Platte Clove for that badge of courage! Although there are dozens of variations out there.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Did a short section of the Devils Path on the return from Hunter Mtn. Was very rocky and was in a gully. There were many chances to bypass the gully by walking on the edges. Rough on the knees as you rock hop down the trail trying to avoid the leaves that cover the loss rock underneath.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Did the loop that involved part of the Devils Trail. One mike section has a 1200 foot incline. Make sure you have really good boots Difficult hike, limited views

Sunday, July 17, 2016

I decided to create this as a new trail because the other "Devil's Path" trail on Alltrails is inaccurate. It misses two large parts of the trail. Also, I would consider this a point to point trail, not an out and back...

Anyway, on to the review...

This is a difficult trail, but not because of its length, but rather its steep elevation ascents and descents. Starting from the East side (Prediger Road Via Indian Head), there are many knee-busting descents which can lower anyone's moral.

I didn't finish it due to this reason, but I'll be back.

It has beautiful rock formations that create several cliffs and overhangs...

The Mink Hollow Shelter is really nice too. It even has an outhouse.

I suggest wearing boots with good ankle support, and trekking poles as well. However, the trekking poles can be useless at points due to the steep descents where you'll have to scramble and use your hands for safety.

I will update this review soon, once I get a chance to complete the trail. 07/15/16

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Awesome

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

East section from Prediger Road to Devils tombstone camping in 1 day. July 12. Hard. Much scrambling. Only Plateau mountain has level section. Found water at Mink Hollow

Monday, June 20, 2016

did a portion from rt 214 to platue mountain
6mi round trip. 1800' elevation change. pretty aggressive for me. first hike of the season. nice hike with a couple of good views

Monday, June 20, 2016

So, not sure I'd call this the hardest hike on the East Coast, nor the most dangerous, but it was a nice challenge. Two friends and I started this trail at the Eastern Terminus on Prediger Road on Friday night, hiked in about a mile and a half to where the Devil's Kitchen Lean To is (slightly off the main trail), and slept for the night. Woke up around 6:30am next day, and we were on the trail by 8am. Indian Head was a tough climb, and it took us a bit to get into our rhythm, but we set a good pace, and finished the hike from Devil's Kitchen Lean-to (over Indian Head, Twin, Sugarloaf, and Plateau) to arrive at Devil's Tombstone Campground by 6pm. We look a few long breaks at the overlooks along the way to relax and eat since we weren't in any particular rush. Stopping at Devil's Tombstone for the night was nice. Since we arrived with a couple hours of daylight left, we were able to relax some more and enjoy a fire. Next morning, woke up a bit later at 7:30am and were on the trail by 8:30am. The hike up Hunter Mountain that morning was probably my low point, and the most challenging of the ascents for the weekend. Getting to the waterfalls in between Hunter and West Kill was a perfect place to lounge for a bit and cool off in the water mid-morning before getting back on the trail. Getting to Buck Ridge lookout on West Kill was certainly the highlight of the weekend. We spent close to an hour there for lunch before finishing up the last 4.5 miles of the trip. We ended around 4pm back at one of our parked cars at Spruceton Road at the Western Terminus.

Overall, although the up-and-down of the six mountains was challenging, it certainly wasn't the *most* challenging trail, in my opinion. Although, maybe if you do it as a day hike, it could be considered so. I still enjoyed it, and the many rock scrambles and chutes were fun. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for something that will kick their butt and push them a bit harder :-)

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

This hike definitely hold its name. I only packed 22 lb and started my hike with my husband who carried about 35lb.. This was our make or break of marriage... I trained myself physically for over two months as I was preparing for Mt. Baker in July so this was a part of our training. It was intense, the first night (Friday) we hiked 6 miles looking for somewhere to camp overnight (150ft from trail) hiked the next 14 miles saturday and it was hell due to the rain from 2 days ago... it was raining in and out making the terrain even more rugged.. It definitely made me appreciate myself more as a person by the 3rd day Sunday when we managed to get off I had already made the decision for divorce.. and it was the best decision ever!!! That hike kicked my a$$ but made me so much stronger!! hahahaha was my personal killer retreat!