Devil's Path: Indian Mountain, Twin Mountain, Plateau Mountain Loop is a 19.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hunter, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

surfing

Hello twins. ;)

I’ve only started hiking 2 months ago, about 2-3 times a week and I decided to give this a shot. I was originally going to do the first half of Devil’s path because I wasn’t sure how my body was going to handle it. It took me 7 hours and 12 miles with short breaks on every mountain and random scenic view spots to take pictures according to my AllTrails application which is very accurate by the way. Following AllTrails I hit several mountains starting with indian head, twin south, twin, sugarloaf (which has a herd path to the view point) and Plateau- the one that destroyed my lower back. I got a treat on Plateau, I actually saw a 1-2 year old black bear. As soon as he saw me coming down the mountain he ran up real fast and looked at me from the top. He seem scared.. anyways, I tried to make a video but he was too quick and eventually disappeared. Once I got to my car in Notch Road parking lot, I paid my 6 dollar fee at the rangers office, freshened up and miraculously I still felt capable of pushing a little more. I got my water and poured water on my head to wake up. I jumped back on the trail to hunter mountain. I hiked all the way up to the fire tower which has a very beautiful view. It’s very cold up there btw. I could’ve continued all the way to the end of the trail over west kill mountain but I would be stranded without a car so I just decided to go to the fire tower and return back. I did a total of 20 miles and climbed 6 mountains, I believe about 6-7k in elevation gain. My legs felt great but it was my lower back that was screaming for rest. I have 3 herniated discs and the weight of water and not resting my back for over 12 hours hiking took a hit. That’s my only pain. For the first half, i drank a liter of water, i ate one orange, one apple and half of snack bar. For the second half hunter mountain, I drank 2 water bottles, I ate one orange, one apple, other half of snack bar, 2 slices of white bread and chugged a can of Pepsi for sugar rush. I had an amazing time. Btw, this trail should be rated EXTRA HARD. It is very steep and rocky. Especially, Plateau and hunter.

Once in a lifetime experience! I dedinitely would NOT do it again. It was a great experience & I felt triumphant when I finally came down painfully rocky St. Anne & into West Kill Rd. But finishing the first half w/ Misery was painful, & once done, you realize how appropriately name that path is. To finish Devil's Path, starting day-2 with Hunter was, w/ sharp 2.5-miles of elevation, was no picnic.
You'd have to really, really want to so this to finish the whole thing. I recommend, (1) good shoes, if your boots are pinching you even walking 1 mile, get another pair, (2) keep pack light, (3) bag w/ 1L bladder, avoid anything you have to take out of bag or side pockets, wasted energy. (4) opt for light lunch, ex: PB&J, or half a wrap & avoid feeling full, (5) snacking w/ "fruity" fruits such apple, peach, plums, etc. I personally avoided bananas on the trails but had a bunch at camp grounds. (6) blister care & atheletes tape. (7) Opt for headlamp instead of handheld flashlight. (8) Don't do this path solo. I saw some injuries on the path requiring med assist, it takes over an hr to get the 1st trooper w/o equipment up there, then you get to wait 3, 4, 6 hrs for the equipment guys, the operation is very detailed & lengthy. You don't want to get injured & be alone.
Know the bail-out points that don't require you to take the same treacherous paths back to the beginning. If you really want to finish, minimize your excuses & put your 1st bail-out further on your day's goal. For ex, if yoir goal for day1 is 13 miles, set bail-out at mile 8 or 9. Your heart will drive you to the end once your that far along. But if at 5, it's gping to be hard to be convinced it's "a little bit more."

There was bail-out point on both days (let me add, some die hard hikers do the 25 mile in 1 day. I consider myself quite fit, but could not). Day 1, bail-out was 9.5 miles in. If you can do 9mi, even if your body says, not another step, chances are, your heart will push you to the remaining 4 miles. But the reality is, it is painful, even for the best. So, if you get to 9, you can do it.
Day 2, the bail-out point is apprx. 4 miles in. If you can convince yourself, you need to finish this, you will do it! the reason I know this, is b/c there's no escape in this 7 mile portion of the trek. The elevation to Hunter is so brutal, no one's coming up there to pick you up 1-2-3, unless you want to wait till midnight for parks troopers to come for you.
THE BATTLE IS WON (OR LOST) IN YHR MIND. Sounds cliché, but true. I really enjoyed having my guide around, especially when I could not hide the pain (1st my knee, then the blister in my shoes). But him talking to me & trying to push me onward was taking a toll on my energy level & ability to focus ahead. This may not be the case for everyone... find "your thing." My trick was to keep back from the pack just 2 mins to be able to focus, w/o the talking around me & the sounds of boots & hiking poles. I had another lady behind me who had developed some painful toe blister & had to take it slow & I was trekked along gingerly. I was genuinely worried about her & pause every now & then to make sure she could still see me, but at some point I stopped looking back & just focussed on, literally, the next step ahead of me, not 5 ft, not 10 ft.

It's a great experience. It's in moments of little triumphs that we realize how the heart can push one onward, even when the body doesn't think it can go on another step. I loved the experience but would not do it again! It was like bungee jumping... woooooo! I'm over it!

Good luck!

Certainly lives up to it’s name . It’s challenging with steep ascents , Sharp descents and a lots of slippery rocks to go over .
We parked our car at Prediger rd parking lot and had arrangements to be driven to the western end where we started from the devil’s tomb campground . It took us about 8 1/2 hours to reach back to our car fully exhausted .
Physically demanding , requires some skill but a great Hike !
PS: Wont recommend to attempt it during or even after a rainfall , the rock scrambling could be quite a hurdle

My husband and I hiked the loop with our dog, camping overnight at Jimmy Dolan Notch. There's been a lot of rain this month, so there was water everywhere, little creeks and waterfalls. We came up via the eastern leg of the loop. It started off fairly easy, but turned into one of the tougher hikes we've done. Several spots where our dog couldn't make the jumps (he's got stubby little legs), and we had to ferry him up the rocks or carry him up balanced on one knee as we pulled ourselves up with tree roots. Not easy with our packs on. Between the challenge of the dog and the fact that our camp stove crapped out on us, we had to call our trip a little short, and we just hiked back down the next morning via the western leg. The descent was easier, the elevation change was definitely steadier on the western side of the loop.

Overall, this was a gorgeous, well-marked hike, and we fully intend to come back (without the doggo) and try it again. Challenging, beautiful, and well worth the drive from NYC.

With overnight gear, this is a trek. Don’t pay attention to the mile markers on the trail - use your gps. Plenty of mis cues. Be prepared for serious ascents and technical descents. Kind of a blast but a mother ef for sure.

Hiked Suagloaf, Plateau, and some of Twin last year. If you're looking for a challenge, I would definitely recommend hiking these mountains. Did it as a day hike and I was there for a good 6-7 hours. I know everyone's skill level is different but this one really pushed my limits.
Be prepared to do some dangerous rock scrambles, which are made even more difficult when wet. And to possibly be very sore the next day,

It was fine except that when your finished your legs are KILLING you

Tough as nails. Do not underestimate.

Parked the car at Devil's Tombstone Campground where Smiley's Taxi awaited to take us to the trailhead at Prediger Road. The plan was to do Indian Head, Twin, Sugarloaf, and Plateau.

Started at 8 am and hit Indian Head first. Everyone said it would be the hardest, but this is incorrect. Read on. The ascent was challenging with several steep sections that required abandoning hiking poles and scrambling on hands and feet. Several breathtaking views await. Descent is moderate.

Next up was Twin mountain. The ascent was shorter than Indian Head's but felt more strenuous in some sections. You will hit the first (lowest) summit of Twin to great views. It's an easy hike to the second, true summit of Twin, good views here as well. The descent from Twin is pretty steep. Kind of an ass kicker. Good footwork is essential here.

Sugarloaf is next. Very steep ascent, where I saw several people I had been bumping into on previous summits start to show signs of exhaustion. The summit is short and nothing to write home about. The descent is pretty steep and will test many. I met groups at the bottom of Sugarloaf that had members call it quits here.

Without a doubt, Plateau is the true test of anyone attempting this hike. Take advantage of the "spring" during the approach to refill water bottles or refresh yourself. The ascent itself is very very challenging, perhaps even more so since it'll be the fourth and last mountain of the day. By the time I reached the summit, which is not memorable at all save for the feeling of relief, I was completely gassed out. Enjoy the flat hiking atop Plateau (~2.2 mi) and get ready for the descent down to campground, which is steep and seems endless.

All in all, a great day and a very enjoyable challenge.

Great trail. The first half is one of the tuffest trails ive hiked. Be ready because there is no ridge line. You have to hike up and down ever single mountain. But the shelters are well kept and adaquitly spread apart.

How do you get there for nyc on public transportation?

We only did Indian Head and Twin Mountain, but the trail certainly lived up to its name. It was a very difficult climb that left us exhausted by the end. The trail had several challenging sections throughout, but rewarded you with a spectacular view at the top of Twin. One of the best views we’ve ever seen in the Catskills and definitely worth the visit.

This time of year hosted a ridiculous amount of flies and mosquitos which pestered us throughout the whole hike. Fortunately, we met some people at the beginning of the trail who had the forethought to bring bug spray and offered us some. Definitely bring some, or you will regret it.

This is a great hike but really lives up to the name Devils Path. We did this as a day (as I do not like to camp) and it took over 9 hours to complete. It was without a doubt the most challenging hike I have ever done. Steep climbs and some challenging terrain on a hot August day was a bit intense.

tough trail. started in prediger and camped back country near the trail head. camped in mink hollow first night. then at devil's acre lean to the second. will have to finish remaining portion another time. I ended up bailing from there to mt. Hunter fire tower and then took chairlift down to bus in Hunter back to NYC - all like clockwork. day one was by far the hardest with Indian Head the twins and Sugarloaf. the second twin is really steep going down east side. then coming of 214 up the side of Hunter from devil's tombstone is also incredibly steep and in this case given the rains also slippery. no water on the east part of the devil's path as you ascend Indian Head until other side of Sugarloaf. nice springs at mink hollow and devil's acre. camping is possible but have to look around for spots. trail is very well marked throughout.

Hiking Devil's Path next weekend over two days. Hiked about six of the 3500s and am a bit nervous about taking on Devil's Path. Any advice to make it a safe and fun adventure? We are giving ourselves two full days to finish staying at campgrounds in between. Thanks!

One of my favorite hikes in the Northeast. It is physically challenging but you are rewarded with a few different ecosystems, beautiful forest streams, and various mountaintop views. The weather shifted on me a few times over the three days I spent - be prepared for rain and with layers. Descending these mountains is incredibly slick and slower in the rain. Save enough daylight to seek out flat ground for camping (which, for example, you won't find while headed up Sugarloaf or Plateau). I was swamped with mosquitoes on West Kill, so find some [nature-friendly, non-toxic] bug spray for your trip.

I had a friendly local (met earlier as he brought friends in directly from Hunter) come pick me up after hitch hiking to the firestation for a phone... I had no cell signal after finishing the trail. Otherwise you can call a taxi to drive you back to your car.

Sunday, December 03, 2017

Beautiful in autumn

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

Hiked this mountainous montage a few weeks back. Totally worth the challenge. Spent a night between sugarloaf and plateau and the second night on buttermilk falls. Plateau mountain was by far the most challenging and offered two excellent viewpoints. Westkill summit best view for sure. Getting back to the car after 25 miles of hiking was a great sight as we reached the end of our journey.

Monday, November 06, 2017

holy crap. this was an amazing epic hike that I couldn't finish after coming off plateau to route 214. I met up with three women this spring that I had never met before and they kept me going. super tough trails. one minute you're going straight up and another trying to figure out how the hell to get down. I still have yet to complete the second part. lots of ledges to take in views from. loved how the forest and terrain changed mile to mile.

Sunday, November 05, 2017

Did the western half from tombstone campground to the northern trailhead. 11.5 miles. 3700 elevation gain. Raining. It was tough but the elevation was quite low in comparison to posted elevations. 4 hours.

Monday, October 30, 2017

Completed in 14 hours. Excellent trail but not one to underestimate in 1 day

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Great pace and interesting features. Make sure your foot work game is on point!

Friday, July 28, 2017

This was a very challenging hike. Very fun. Only had a few nice lookout view points thought, which is why it only got 4/5 stars

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Hiked the portion from Hunter Fire Tower up to Leavitts Peak ( SW Hunter) to bag another 3500 peak. Awesome "bushwhack". A must do!!

Thursday, May 04, 2017

did the whole trail about 3 weeks ago. lots of ice on the 2nd twin and back side of sugarloaf. Otherwise i was a great trip.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

The DP trail is longer. The options on this app short the trail by a 3-4 miles. Do that extended part near Platte Clove for that badge of courage! Although there are dozens of variations out there.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Did a short section of the Devils Path on the return from Hunter Mtn. Was very rocky and was in a gully. There were many chances to bypass the gully by walking on the edges. Rough on the knees as you rock hop down the trail trying to avoid the leaves that cover the loss rock underneath.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Did the loop that involved part of the Devils Trail. One mike section has a 1200 foot incline. Make sure you have really good boots Difficult hike, limited views

Sunday, July 17, 2016

I decided to create this as a new trail because the other "Devil's Path" trail on Alltrails is inaccurate. It misses two large parts of the trail. Also, I would consider this a point to point trail, not an out and back...

Anyway, on to the review...

This is a difficult trail, but not because of its length, but rather its steep elevation ascents and descents. Starting from the East side (Prediger Road Via Indian Head), there are many knee-busting descents which can lower anyone's moral.

I didn't finish it due to this reason, but I'll be back.

It has beautiful rock formations that create several cliffs and overhangs...

The Mink Hollow Shelter is really nice too. It even has an outhouse.

I suggest wearing boots with good ankle support, and trekking poles as well. However, the trekking poles can be useless at points due to the steep descents where you'll have to scramble and use your hands for safety.

I will update this review soon, once I get a chance to complete the trail. 07/15/16

Saturday, July 16, 2016