Devil's Path: Indian Mountain, Twin Mountain, Plateau Mountain Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(105)
Catskill State Park

Devil's Path: Indian Mountain, Twin Mountain, Plateau Mountain Loop is a 19.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hunter, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 19.7 miles Elevation Gain: 8,471 feet Route Type: Loop

my goodness I was a fool for thinking i could tackle "just 20 miles" in a day. this is a real monster of a hike, one I was foolish enough to do without poles. bring poles, pack light, but bring food and water, you'll need it. the views are worth the work, but even with my mighty cyclist thighs I was spent by the end of the day. devil's path indeed, but this is definitely one of my favorites

this trail is no joke! if you think you can do the loop in one day think again. be prepared to camp atleast one day. bring poles! they make a huge difference on the ups and downs. pack as light as you can but dont skimp on food and water. make sure you have good insoles and have a good plan before you step off. a very challenging hike but the feeling of accomplishment is amazing. views are good and not to many people on the path. have a head lamp also incase you get slowed down by one of the rediculas up inclines and have to hike at night.

Holy cow ! This hike is no joke! We were able to complete it in two days by sacrificing our legs to the hiking gods. Hahaha. But seriously, I suggest being in decent shape and good cardiovascular shape. The declines are horrendous and will destroy even the strongest of legs. Views are incredible and worth the ascents. Good luck to future hikers, it’s a hard hike but fun as hell!

Spectacular hike with many different variations offered. The mountain climbing is definitely difficult, but the views and overall experience are worth it. Practical notes: Make sure you plan ahead for water stops (if needed). Try and wear water resistant/proof shoes or boots as the trail can get fairly muddy in places. Hiking with trekking poles will be a huge help.

Appropriately named Devil’s Path. I started at Prediger Rd and summited Indian Head, Twin, Sugarloaf and Plateau. After 12 miles I bailed out at Devil’s Tombstone due to my throbbing knees (Devil’s Tombstone Campground is closed for the 2019 season to undergo renovations). Trail is clearly marked with red NYDEC trail markers. This trail is very rocky so I would not recommend hiking when it’s raining and I definitely wouldn’t recommend bringing your dog.

Question for everyone: if I only take one car to the trail, where would you park it? And is there service to call an uber to the trailhead? And recommendations for taxi services?

Lots of bugs. Views aren’t that great.

Mon Jun 03 2019

truly amazing trail!! reminds me so much of the trail in the Appalachian Trail called Wildcat Mountain in the Whites. this is not a dog friendly trail, please do not bring your dogs!!

Sat Apr 27 2019

Was a two day hike!! Very difficult but loved it! Even though my back was killing me afterward!

Thu Jan 17 2019

If you think you've trained hard enough to hike this trail your probably wrong. Keep your pack light and bring water filtration to save the weight. If at all possible stage your camp at the Devils Tombstone campground. The first half will take between 8-12 hours to complete. It was nice to hike into a prepared camp and recoup for the next days 2nd half hike. The second half starts with a long never ending grade that will tax your aching legs but isn't as difficult as the first half. Make sure you hydrate like crazy at Diamond notch falls. I completed half the hike once and the whole hike the next year after I trained all winter. Well worth the climb because the views are spectacular. I can't wait to do it again while recording it on All trails

Sat Oct 13 2018

Hello twins. ;)

Sun Aug 26 2018

I’ve only started hiking 2 months ago, about 2-3 times a week and I decided to give this a shot. I was originally going to do the first half of Devil’s path because I wasn’t sure how my body was going to handle it. It took me 7 hours and 12 miles with short breaks on every mountain and random scenic view spots to take pictures according to my AllTrails application which is very accurate by the way. Following AllTrails I hit several mountains starting with indian head, twin south, twin, sugarloaf (which has a herd path to the view point) and Plateau- the one that destroyed my lower back. I got a treat on Plateau, I actually saw a 1-2 year old black bear. As soon as he saw me coming down the mountain he ran up real fast and looked at me from the top. He seem scared.. anyways, I tried to make a video but he was too quick and eventually disappeared. Once I got to my car in Notch Road parking lot, I paid my 6 dollar fee at the rangers office, freshened up and miraculously I still felt capable of pushing a little more. I got my water and poured water on my head to wake up. I jumped back on the trail to hunter mountain. I hiked all the way up to the fire tower which has a very beautiful view. It’s very cold up there btw. I could’ve continued all the way to the end of the trail over west kill mountain but I would be stranded without a car so I just decided to go to the fire tower and return back. I did a total of 20 miles and climbed 6 mountains, I believe about 6-7k in elevation gain. My legs felt great but it was my lower back that was screaming for rest. I have 3 herniated discs and the weight of water and not resting my back for over 12 hours hiking took a hit. That’s my only pain. For the first half, i drank a liter of water, i ate one orange, one apple and half of snack bar. For the second half hunter mountain, I drank 2 water bottles, I ate one orange, one apple, other half of snack bar, 2 slices of white bread and chugged a can of Pepsi for sugar rush. I had an amazing time. Btw, this trail should be rated EXTRA HARD. It is very steep and rocky. Especially, Plateau and hunter.

Sun Aug 26 2018

Once in a lifetime experience! I dedinitely would NOT do it again. It was a great experience & I felt triumphant when I finally came down painfully rocky St. Anne & into West Kill Rd. But finishing the first half w/ Misery was painful, & once done, you realize how appropriately name that path is. To finish Devil's Path, starting day-2 with Hunter was, w/ sharp 2.5-miles of elevation, was no picnic. You'd have to really, really want to so this to finish the whole thing. I recommend, (1) good shoes, if your boots are pinching you even walking 1 mile, get another pair, (2) keep pack light, (3) bag w/ 1L bladder, avoid anything you have to take out of bag or side pockets, wasted energy. (4) opt for light lunch, ex: PB&J, or half a wrap & avoid feeling full, (5) snacking w/ "fruity" fruits such apple, peach, plums, etc. I personally avoided bananas on the trails but had a bunch at camp grounds. (6) blister care & atheletes tape. (7) Opt for headlamp instead of handheld flashlight. (8) Don't do this path solo. I saw some injuries on the path requiring med assist, it takes over an hr to get the 1st trooper w/o equipment up there, then you get to wait 3, 4, 6 hrs for the equipment guys, the operation is very detailed & lengthy. You don't want to get injured & be alone. Know the bail-out points that don't require you to take the same treacherous paths back to the beginning. If you really want to finish, minimize your excuses & put your 1st bail-out further on your day's goal. For ex, if yoir goal for day1 is 13 miles, set bail-out at mile 8 or 9. Your heart will drive you to the end once your that far along. But if at 5, it's gping to be hard to be convinced it's "a little bit more." There was bail-out point on both days (let me add, some die hard hikers do the 25 mile in 1 day. I consider myself quite fit, but could not). Day 1, bail-out was 9.5 miles in. If you can do 9mi, even if your body says, not another step, chances are, your heart will push you to the remaining 4 miles. But the reality is, it is painful, even for the best. So, if you get to 9, you can do it. Day 2, the bail-out point is apprx. 4 miles in. If you can convince yourself, you need to finish this, you will do it! the reason I know this, is b/c there's no escape in this 7 mile portion of the trek. The elevation to Hunter is so brutal, no one's coming up there to pick you up 1-2-3, unless you want to wait till midnight for parks troopers to come for you. THE BATTLE IS WON (OR LOST) IN YHR MIND. Sounds cliché, but true. I really enjoyed having my guide around, especially when I could not hide the pain (1st my knee, then the blister in my shoes). But him talking to me & trying to push me onward was taking a toll on my energy level & ability to focus ahead. This may not be the case for everyone... find "your thing." My trick was to keep back from the pack just 2 mins to be able to focus, w/o the talking around me & the sounds of boots & hiking poles. I had another lady behind me who had developed some painful toe blister & had to take it slow & I was trekked along gingerly. I was genuinely worried about her & pause every now & then to make sure she could still see me, but at some point I stopped looking back & just focussed on, literally, the next step ahead of me, not 5 ft, not 10 ft. It's a great experience. It's in moments of little triumphs that we realize how the heart can push one onward, even when the body doesn't think it can go on another step. I loved the experience but would not do it again! It was like bungee jumping... woooooo! I'm over it! Good luck!

Sat Aug 25 2018

Certainly lives up to it’s name . It’s challenging with steep ascents , Sharp descents and a lots of slippery rocks to go over . We parked our car at Prediger rd parking lot and had arrangements to be driven to the western end where we started from the devil’s tomb campground . It took us about 8 1/2 hours to reach back to our car fully exhausted . Physically demanding , requires some skill but a great Hike ! PS: Wont recommend to attempt it during or even after a rainfall , the rock scrambling could be quite a hurdle

Sun Aug 12 2018

My husband and I hiked the loop with our dog, camping overnight at Jimmy Dolan Notch. There's been a lot of rain this month, so there was water everywhere, little creeks and waterfalls. We came up via the eastern leg of the loop. It started off fairly easy, but turned into one of the tougher hikes we've done. Several spots where our dog couldn't make the jumps (he's got stubby little legs), and we had to ferry him up the rocks or carry him up balanced on one knee as we pulled ourselves up with tree roots. Not easy with our packs on. Between the challenge of the dog and the fact that our camp stove crapped out on us, we had to call our trip a little short, and we just hiked back down the next morning via the western leg. The descent was easier, the elevation change was definitely steadier on the western side of the loop. Overall, this was a gorgeous, well-marked hike, and we fully intend to come back (without the doggo) and try it again. Challenging, beautiful, and well worth the drive from NYC.