Learn more

Deer Lick Nature Sanctuary Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(62)
Gowanda, New York

Deer Lick Nature Sanctuary Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gowanda, New York that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 429 feet Route Type: Loop

Well marked at first but further in especially crossing the creek on the yellow trail was a bit tricky especially with all the mud. But all in all a beautiful spot with lots of old growth trees.

White to yellow trail loop. Marked very well. Has a waterfall.

I love this area and it’s one of my go tos for a nice time out. I’m familiar enough with the system of trails there, but the first few times he markings just end or can’t be found for a little bit. I can see how people would get turned around if not familiar with navigating it.

Mon May 13 2019

We brought our dogs, just have to be careful because it’s steep in some spots. Came in May and it was quite muddy but a beautiful trail in the woods.

Fri Aug 31 2018

Some of the triails are not marked properly can get confusing as to were you need to go. But it is still a Beautiful hike.

Tue May 08 2018

we saw a Woodcock it was good and it was a little slippery I saw about thirty deer in all I wish we saw a black bear.

Mon Apr 23 2018

An absolutely beautiful day hike. Just be cautious because the trails need maintenance, there are a lot of fallen trees on the trails, which could prove an issue especially for kids. The white trail is pretty easy to navigate, but the section of the yellow trail after the ravine and deer lick falls gets sketchy because there is no actual trail because of debris. Hard to locate next marker due to circumventing fallen trees. My advice is bring a map and just stay alert for markers.

Mon Nov 06 2017

There are 5 different colored marked trails that vary in distance. They are all easy to navigate and no hunting is allowed , so no worries during hunting season.

Mon Oct 02 2017

Needs maintenance;trees down along some points of yellow trail and markings across creek not obvious. Others hiking said blue trail was full of "prickers" BUT it's gorgeous shady terrain.

Sun Mar 26 2017

Pretty easy hike, but be mindful of the terrain

Sun Jul 31 2016

Very beautiful setting. I went last summer, so I forgot which trail(s) we took, but ended up at the water over a small waterfall. Really enjoyed walking along the creek. Great photo opportunities!

Mon Jun 13 2016

We did the White trail, very well marked. You had to pay attention to trail markers when you do the loop, a little more spread out. Lots of ups and downs but we survived them. One partial view of gorge. A few places had trees down across the path.

Thu May 19 2016

Hiked white trail to the end and back. No one else on the trails today. Trails are well maintained and marked. Not many views of the valley/gorge on the white trail because of foilage. At end of trail can get a glimpse of the gorge through the trees. Plan on going back soon to do yellow trail to the falls. Very quiet relaxing place to take a hike. Not to hard, few ups and downs but nothing to strenuous.

Mon May 09 2016

Did about 3/4 of the white trail with mom and the boys, 5 and 10, for Mother's Day. Proximity of the trail to the drop offs made mama a little nervous with the 5 year old but in general the trail was great. The blazes are well marked. The area has a great feel to it, many vines that look like they've been there since the jurassic period. The sign in sheet and community hiking stick pile at the start were a great touch. We'll definitely return.

Sun May 08 2016

White trail is the best super beautiful ridge hiking

Wed Feb 24 2016

Mostly well marked, easy hike. Couldn't seem to find out how to get to the waterfall viewing area though...

Sun May 05 2013

oops!! forgot to give it stars......oh...and once your done here....drive down to the end of Forty road.....take a walk on the beach!

Sun Oct 14 2012

One of my favorite hikes in Gowanda, NY. I go several times each year. The most beautiful gorge you ever want to see. Nice stream throughout gorge that allows you to cross periodically while trekking. Trail borders the Genesee River making it easy to follow trail. Super beautiful views so bring the camera and a lunch.

Tue Jan 31 2012

I really like Zoar Valley, in all the areas. This one is really nice, three trails, easy to follow. (website says 5? I only saw three.) Few improvements. Parking area not plowed in winter. Just an out house at the trailhead. Trail does cross streams, so conditions have to be considered.