EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Crane Mountain Loop Hike

Crane Mountain Loop Hike is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Warrensburg, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

cave

Beautiful Southern Adirondack trail with natural stone bridge, cliff ladders and a spring fed mountain ridge pond. Loop trail beginning at the trailhead at Ski Hi Road, Johnsburg, NY.

I enjoyed this trail a lot because it's relatively short and challenging. It's a steep rocky incline from the start right up until you get to the summit a little over a mile in. It's very rocky and there are some ladders to climb up as you follow the red trail markers. It's possible to lose exactly where to go without following these.

The view at the top is very rewarding as you have a nice panoramic view. I would suggest taking the full loop because for the next quarter of a mile or so you have a few more lookouts on the way back down.

Before long you'll follow a yellow trail around a pond which is very serene. Take a minute, or a few, to soak it all in and continue back down the trail. The trail is still very rocky on the way down but not quite as steep.

You'll run back into the red trail markers again and it levels out a bit again before reaching the lot. The road up to the parking lot is very steep and rugged.

Rated Hard and I would agree with that. Quickly goes uphill from the parking lot. Steep in some places and a long section of bouldering. Much more fun going up than going down. At the Red/Yellow trail split, if you have a larger dog, I would suggest the Yellow trail and loop to the summit around the back. The Red trail to the summit has 2 ladders on it. The first ladder is about 6 feet tall, my dog didn't have a problem with it, she jumped up the wall. The second ladder at the summit is about 20-25 feet tall, and it's not dog friendly, the rungs are too narrow for a dog's paws to navigate. Since my dog is only 40 lbs, I could carry her up in one arm and climb the ladder. Beautiful views at the summit, well worth the climb! We took the loop down the other side and met up with the yellow trail at the lake.

Nice and steep, well worth the effort. Several spectacular views from the peak. The lake is quite and pristine. With all of the May rain it was wet and slippery and the trail was basically a waterfall!

Steep but well worth it. We went in April, the snow melt made many trails partial waterfalls and there was a lot of snow near the top. Challenging and fun, and the views were amazing. Lots of different spots to have a little privacy with a great view.

This is one of my all time favorite places to hike. So much fun and the views were incredible. Check out my full write up with pictures and directions.

Completed this hike 3/3/17. Icy but not too bad with the proper gear. Only issue we ran into was some of the trail markers were easy to lose/not enough markers. Just follow the worn path and you'll end up on the trail.

Awesome fall hike in the ADK

This was amazing.... made fresh prints in the snow with yaktrax, kind of useless... but none the less was a great hike.. very steep if you start to the right.. and the trail is not marked very well at all.. epically at the top... keep going, it is the trail. overall 5 star and great view from the top.

It was one of the best hikes I've been on. Don't be afraid of the ladder, just go up.

I wound up doing about 5 miles on the loop, going the long way around the pond and detouring to the cave west of the pond. It took me about three hours, but this is not a hike for those looking for an easy walk in the woods. There is a lot of rock scrambling, and doing it in the fall with leaves everywhere made for a few slips. Great views at the top though.

Lots of fun! Did the whole loop yesterday with a friend, going straight up to the summit first before hiking down to the pond and completing the large loop. Views are fantastic at the summit. Lots of fun scrambling on the way up. Ladders are cool. If you take the large loop, there is a small cave at the bottom! We went inside it and hung out for awhile. The pond is beautiful and there are many great camp sites all around it.

Loved it. Steep. But the views where worth it

Beautiful. Lots of rock scrambling but very worth it.

wicked steep. great fun. we were about to try and go swimming at the lake on top but we were like oh yeah snakes.

We had our three year old daughter with us which made it more difficult for us at times. She did great for her age and climbed a lot of rocks and stairs herself!

The climb is challenging for sure. Lots of rocky sections. We didn't do the whole loop due the the time restraints and went down the same way we came up - the red trail. Not sure if some sections are harder to climb or come down.

Whatever trail you decide to do one thing is certain - at the end you will feel accomplished!

Nice short hike, although I didn't I was getting myself into rock climbing and came with running shoes. But the weather was fine and I had no issues with footing. I ended up going 3.2 miles off the GPS in a little under 2 hours.....I was hustling a bit and just stayed on top for about 10 mins. Went straight to summit -- getting lost for about five mins when I lost track of the markers........then went along the ridge and down to the pond. At that point I started to go towards the road, but I wasn't sure if this was a wild goose chase so I headed back via the sign that said Summit/Parking lot. This ended up being a little painful going down the steep rocks that I came up earlier, but I was over pretty quick. I assume going the other direction at the pond was a bit longer in distance but easier on the body, not sure. honestly, I am still not sure I went the "right" way on the way back..........I felt bad for the folks carrying a lot of stuff (including little kids) up that climb! I saw a few dogs...lighter dogs are probably fine...one guy had to carry his yellow lab up the ladder a bit.....my 65 lab would have been hurting a bit, so I would tend to say not really great for many dogs.

Well worth the effort; fantastic views from multiple vantage points.