Learn more

Crane Mountain Loop Hike is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Warrensburg, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Length 3.1 mi Elevation gain 1,345 ft Route type Loop

Waypoints (4)
Facilities
Tips
Getting There

Beautiful Southern Adirondack trail with natural stone bridge, cliff ladders and a spring fed mountain ridge pond. Loop trail beginning at the trailhead at Ski Hi Road, Johnsburg, NY.

NYS DEC trailhead, parking lot and register at Ski Hi Road, Johnsburg, NY. There is room for approximately 12 cars at this trailhead. The Crane Mountain Trail Head is accessible from the south by car and truck by way of Ski Hi Road, Johnsburg, NY. The north access by way of Crane Mountain Road is via private land and access from this direction is discouraged.

Crane Mountain Trailhead: From Johnsburg, NY and Rte. 8 turn south onto South Johnsburgh Road. Follow this until you come to the small town of Thurman where you will take a right onto Garnet Lake Road. Travel 1.4 miles down this road until you see a DEC sign pointing towards Crane Mountain. The road turns to dirt as you follow this sign for another 2 miles. At this point you will see a small dirt road on the right which can be rough. You can park here or walk the half mile to the true trailhead. It is free to park here.

From Johnsburg, NY and Rte. 8 turn south onto South Johnsburgh Road. Follow this until you come to the small town of Thurman where you will take a right onto Garnet Lake Road. Travel 1.4 miles down this road until you see a DEC sign at Ski Hi Road pointing towards Crane Mountain. The road turns to dirt as you follow the signs for another 2+/- miles to the trailhead and register. It is free to park here.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (536)
Photos (864)
Recordings (327)
Completed (1072)
Brian Falk
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
Hiking

It’s hard, but doable...and spectacular. I’m 54, barely active, and 7 months out from a knee replacement -and I made it. My wife and 3 sons (8, 10, 12) also all made it up, around and back without incident. We took red to the top, ladders and all. Hiked along the ridge and then looped down the pond. From the pond we had to pick blue or yellow to get back to the red trail home...we picked blue, which I believe made it longer journey. I’m thinking we covered 4.5 miles or so? Would love to know. The descents were the toughest part of this. Would do it again. Highly recommended. First experience of its kind for my boys and I know they will remember it forever.

Jennifer Heffernan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
View Jennifer 's Recording
Amanda Schmitz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Please note I am beginning level and went with my more experienced hiker friends. I’m not going to lie this was TOUGH. Super steep up and down. Lots of rock scrambles and climbing. We were met with two ladders. The summit view made it worth it. But man, between having bad knees and not being experienced, I can’t believe I did it! Those of you used to this kind of stuff will love it and enjoy the summit as well as all the trail has to offer, which is why I am giving it 4 stars understanding perspectives. Definitely not for inexperienced hikers- unless maybe you’re more athletic and have knees of steel! It was rough, I won’t lie! But I did it and couldn’t be prouder. We did Red Trail to the summit then changed a bit to yellow and back to red descending. Saw the pond through the trees but couldn’t figure out how/where to access it. We ended up not looping, but rather retraced steps back down it seems? With stops and breaks (for me) we did it in about 4 hours.

Cliff Howe
View Cliff's Recording
Amelia Dwyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
Hiking

Great trail for a scenic hike, the view at the top of the summit is amazing! This trail is very steep on the way up and fairly steep in some parts going down, there is a ladder to climb if you take the red trail up. I personally preferred taking it up and looping back down towards the pond. The trails do switch from red to blue markers at the pond, I wish I would have known this before because I thought we were lost. The blue trail will take you back to red, and then an easy walk to the car.

Michael Regan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

Before tackling this hike take a look at the pictures of the ladders, you will need to complete them if you take the "red trail," to the top. The grade is steep on the ascent, you will ascend quite a bit in a relatively short distance. Follow the trail to the pond it was my favorite part of the hike. The descent is technical and steep, make sure you have appropriate footwear. I went to Lake George for a week and would do an early morning drive/hike in the region. Also hiked Cascade/Porter in Lake Placid same week. Crane was my favorite hike of all of them, I can't wait to go back. It took 2 hours to complete and about 40-45 minutes to make the summit. If you still have some energy afterwards can always check out the rock climbing trail on the other side of the lot this takes you to some serious rock faces to check out.

Daniel G. Alcorn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingRocky

Began the loop at 8 am and followed red trail markers through the two ladders; the second and taller ladder was thrilling. As many others have stated, this is steep and rocky. The view from the top is as stunning as everyone said. We followed the well marked red trail to the pond and blue back from there. Both routes and steep and rocky. Hiking poles helped with the descent. This hike for three 60+ year olds was a do-able challenge.

Bruno Camara
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
HikingRocky
View Bruno's Recording
Anthony Lafasciano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 24, 2020
HikingBugsRocky
View Anthony's Recording
Shawna Simas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
BugsRockyScramble

I had no service at the trailhead. My downloaded map refused to load and gave me errors instead. My record feature went down as well. Luckily, the GPS was working and it allowed me to follow along on the trail map. Thankfully, these trails are really pretty well marked and I didn't run into too many issues. The hike up and the hike down is steep! It had some nice views along the way up though that provide a breather. Final view at the top was amazing! Started at about 9:30 and had the top to myself but encountered at least five groups on my decent. Definitely recommend!

Beck Coleman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
Rock climbingScramble
View Beck's Recording
Georgia Howell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
HikingGreat!

My mom and I completed this hike on 7/18/2020. We followed the red trail up to the summit and took the blue trail passed the pond and looped back to the trailhead. If you take the red trail up then you will go up both ladders. I'm super glad we went this way, because I would definitely not have wanted to go down them. This hike was very steep. Almost within seconds of walking on the trail it basically goes straight up. It took us awhile to get up because we're pretty new to hiking, but this is definitely a doable hike and very rewarding once you get to the top. Also note, we brought hiking poles and didn't really use them going up, but after we reached the summit on the hike down we were so glad we had them. They really helped to take the stress and weight off of our knees.

Shana Kennedy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Beautiful trail with great variety of scenery and terrain. But challenging!! The rock scrambles and steep ascents on the way up are impressive; on the way down they felt scarier and harder. Loved that there were some flat sections to catch my breath. Took us 1 hr up, about 40 minutes around the top & pond areas, 30 minutes hard descent, and then about 20 minutes in the flat section.... 2.5 hours total. 44-yr-old reasonably healthy Mom is wiped out, 17-year-old fit son is barely fazed.

Aisha O'Donnell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020
Great!RockyScramble

The road to parking lot is unpaved and rocky. The hike is awesome. We went counterclockwise so went down the ladders etc but it worked today cause the first 2.5 miles was damp so would prefer to go up it versus down. Really beautiful trail but very challenging for a short hike.

Kelly Eustis
HikingBugsRockyScramble

Very rocky and fairly steep to the pond/summit intersect. Second ladder was a big one if you fear heights. Great view at the summit and relaxing stroll to the pond after. The pond is very pretty and I wish I had my pole with me. We climbed down the rocky part during a downpour which made it a little more challenging. Great hike/climb!

Haley Yohn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingMuddyRockyScramble
View Haley's Recording
Russell Composto
HikingRockyScramble

Bring hiking poles because the trail is uneven and steep for at least 50% of total hiking time. Although moderate the hike up to summit is strenuous and rough on ankles. So wear hiking boots. Summit is great place for lunch or you can wait until the pond area to eat or jump in water. The trail past the lake is not as steep as the way up and easier to navigate. Few bugs today and not that wet so we were lucky. Overall a fantastic hike that can range from 3 to 4 hrs pending how many times you stop to enjoy mountain and lake views.