Learn more

Coyotes Den Trail is a 2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Rochester, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.0 miles Elevation Gain: 259 feet Route Type: Loop

Muddy in a few spots. Going from Coyote Den to Overlook was a steep climb.

Very muddy today after all the rain.

The overlook trail is a little bit hard, but the valley is so beautiful at autumn! The north end of the trail is a ideal place for BBQ

Went in mid-October, easy to jog.

Went with my dog in early October, we started at the Penfield Rd trailhead. Overall, we really enjoyed it! Not too muddy and we went early enough that we had it mostly to ourselves. Couple of things though; one, the trailhead is very close to a gun range and it is LOUD. My dog is fine with that but any dogs that are scared of loud noises/thunder/fireworks might have an issue. Only other issue is that where the trail crosses a parking lot it isn't super well marked; we almost missed the blue blazes and just turned around. Gorgeous views of Redman Lake on the Overlook Trail (red trail) though; worth the climb!

not bad after the rain. the wood boards were a little slick but definitely not muddy. a little buggy by the river and at the top of the hill. great day yesterday

Lots of privacy. Some climbing involved if you take Lookout trail. Will return in fall.

Great trail for the area but not very scenic. The "Overlook" trail was overgrown when I went in early June and that was the only opportunity for something scenic.

This trail is muddy and quite precarious at certain points. There are wooden footbridges that lead over the creekbed towards the end. Secretly it's a pretty exciting time if taking a quick mountain bike run; although, there is a spot with a downed tree that has to be maneuvered across on foot.

Sat Sep 08 2018

uneven but good trail

Sat Sep 08 2018

The trails aren't exactly marked well. The overlook trail really needs some help, vandalism is apparent once at the top of the hill. Definitely will want some bug spray, couldn't keep the flies off my poor pupper.

Sat Mar 10 2018

This park needs some maintenance! (I'm hoping it's because I went in winter and it will get cleaned up in the spring). There were trees down across the path - some climbing over/crawling under. The left path is super steep...watch out if it is muddy or icy (I'd recommend that most people avoid it under these conditions) but you do get some really nice views. I'll try this one again in summer/fall to see if it got cleaned up

Tue Nov 28 2017

The start of the overlook loop from coyotes den is very steep. My dog and I did a great job getting up it but I was nervous for him! It’s a beautiful view once at the top.

Wed Jun 21 2017

very good for nature viewing. if you take the left path I'd suggest a walking stick for the descent, also watch out for mud. otherwise a great place to feel like you've gotten away to somewhere secluded, when youre not that far from home

Sun Apr 16 2017

Caution: parts of the Overlook Loop are steep. I wouldn't try it if the ground is muddy.. You DO get a lovely view.