Cornish Estate Trail Loop

Cornish Estate Trail Loop is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cold Spring, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

historic site

Great trail, with a good variety of terrain. It has a nice incline up to a panorama to work the legs and embrace your inner adventurous kid. Perfect place for sunny days - good tree coverage and a cool spring to dip in the toes. The ruins along the trail are a nice place to take a beat. A bit of traffic throughout the trail but it was a really nice day. Doggo friendly

5miles /3hrs. Summer. if you did the route backwards, there would have been less uphill but the uphill bit would be intense. Good views and saw a lizard. Cold spring looked a good place to stop for refreshments after.

Well marked trail - took just over 3 hours for us to finish the loop with our small dog (carried him for a few parts). Beautiful views, pretty empty in the early to mid morning but was picking up when we finished (noon ish).

Well marked trail, moderate ascent rewarded with panoramic views, good shade on a sunny day.

My 9yo Maltese and I did the full white trail. Did the hike backwards. Took us about 4 hours total, with 2 hours of moving time. A few breathtaking views at the top, wished there were more. The rockclimbing down about 3/4 into the trail was quite steep and a little frightening at times. It was definitely a good workout.

We briefly lost our trail twice; the well-marked trail and gps function on alltrails app did us wonders. Lots of bugs in select places, though my dog came out tick/flea free with just a homemade vinegar spray, we saw lizards!!!, a very tall tree did almost fall on us towards the end (please, always be vigilent of these killer trees!), and at the end of our hike we loved being able to cross the street and go for a dip at the river beach!

Definitely a great trail, especially on a mon. The trail was well marked and there were SOME nice views — nothing comparable to some other trails in this region though. Saw 2 snakes, both of the garden variety and some cool sites towards the end of the hike. The first 3/4 mile was tough, the rest was a nice easy to moderate hike. Lots of cobbles, make sure to watch your step. Would definitely do it again.

A nice hike. Some steep inclines that give you a run for your money. Some great ruins and some nice vistas. All in all a good day out but not my favorite. There are TWO sets of ruins. One about 1/4 mike from the parking lot (on the way back) and the other about a mile and a half. There is lots to see at the other one so wander around a bit.

Great trail, lots of shade, beautiful ruins.

good loop did the easy trail (white to yellow to red then blue ) about 3 mile ..great views at the top..nice trek for about 3 hours ..had to work a little for the first part but still worth it

We started with the white trail, to the yellow, to blue. The first stretch of the hike has a pretty steep climb. The trail is extremely well marked and maintained. There are a number of beautiful views and it was fun to see the Cornish Estate “ruins” towards the end of the blue trail. Took us about 2.5 hours, and would definitely do it again!!

It was such an enjoyable hike and coming down the gentle slope catching up with friends was great! Great view but tends to be a bit buggy in the Spring time. Bring bug repellent or a head net!

Did the loop started with Cornish trail first came down notch had my 38lb toddler on my back but we switched off at the 3 mile mark she walked some of it as well great hike definitely recommend it

Did the full loop in just under 3 hours. Great hike- a little challenging at the beginning 1/4 for the elevation. Water and Gatorade’s for sale in the car park was a nice touch too!

had an amazing time, beautiful view, and also almost had a heart attack we found 2 snakes. it was a little challenge but I will do this again.

From the parking lot we went right and followed the arrows and white blazes to the yellow to green to blue. The remains of the Cornish estate are at the very end of the trail, about a quarter mile away from the parking lot! But we were happy we hiked up for the views and the time spent alongside the waterfall. We thought we had somehow missed the old mansion! So I thought I’d let anyone else know; it’s at the end of the trail. But do what we did and go right at the trailhead! It’s so worth the views and feeling of accomplishment and the estate is like icing on the cake at the end of the hike! Enjoy!

Awesome awesome hike. Has it all - great river views, an old quarry, rock scrambling, cool forests, streams, a waterfall and ruins. First half of hike is definitely strenuous but once you hit the blue trail it's virtually all downhill. Lots of great places to stop and admire the view. IMO once you get to where the white trail meets the yellow trail it's worth taking the yellow for a few tenths of a mile to see some great money views, then heading back to continue on white. Notch trail is super rocky and marshy in places. Cornish Mansion ruins are pretty cool. All in all a great experience. Only downside for me was some lingering haze, which limited the view down the Hudson. Great parking area. It's also worth popping across the road to explore the two short trails at Little Stony Point. The red trail goes around to a weird little cave, while the green trail takes you up to the top of the rocks for nice views up and down the Hudson.

Nice challenge at the beginning if you take the white route... then a really nice walk back down.
Takes about 3 hours and is roughly 6 Miles...

A nice way to warm up for the much more challenging neighbor - the Breakneck ridge. Well marked, parking spot available, couple of good view points of the Hudson.
Overall a pretty decent hike.

The views were beautiful! Did not do the whole loop but stayed on Washburn (white markers). It took about 30-45 minutes to get to a beautiful lookout over the Hudson and Cold Spring. It was a very fun hike and will definitely come back to do the whole loop another day.

Finished in about 3 hours with a moderate pace.
Hiked in reverse like most said and it definitely is better to get the rocks out of the way in the beginning. Definitely recommend it!

The view is worth it. My 74 year old Mother and I climbed it.. A tad slippery at points with the melting water so where real hiking boots.

I would rate this as hard and not moderate. We started counter clockwise (white markers) after parking in the lot. At the top we crossed over to the yellow trail, then red and finally home on blue. There was a big tree down at the end of the blue trail and tons of prickers, but it didn’t dampen the fun! Tons of great water views, babbling creeks and generally a great hike!

Took this trail yesterday, was a little chilly but still beautiful enough out for a hike. Wasn’t very crowded which made it even more enjoyable. Wish I took the advice of going counter clockwise but all in all enjoyed the hike. Got some great shots in as well!

This is a great trail! Went on a beautiful Saturday and while we saw plenty of people, it wasn’t ever too crowded. My dog had a blast. I’d recommend hiking it counter-clockwise. You get all of the elevation out of the way at the start and I much prefer scrambling up over rock than scrambling down personally! Also, it’s only about a mile from the Cold Spring MetroNorth stop.

Had a perfect March Saturday morning for this fun hike. The loop is moderate and gives you a chance to explore the ruins of a stately estate which must have been a lot of fun to visit is the 1920's and 30's. Follow the Cornish trail to the notch trail and end the loop with the Washburn trail back at he parking lot off 9D. There are several glorious viewing points on the Washburn trail

We did this in a few inches of snow, which definitely slowed it down. It made the hike really fun and pretty so would recommend. Hiking in the snow actually means less mud and mess but definitely need to be careful with you’re footing. We aren’t experienced hikers but pretty fit and this took us 2hours 45. I’m sure on a dry day it wound have been a lot quicker, more like a 2-2:15.

We went clockwise around this trail and I think I would do the same if doing it again. The ascent clockwise is longer but more gradual. The descent then was pretty steep but nice and quick. Doing it clockwise means you have done the majority of the trail when you see the lovely views at the peak.

quick 2 hour hike. added Little Stony Point after. once you get to the top. great views and MUCH easier on the way down.

Great hike. The start of the white trail up is more of a road and there was recent clear cutting to widen it (not very scenic) but once past the quarry the trail thins out and you get great views of the Hudson. The actual summit is a bit inland past the river views and has a bit of tree cover. Past that it’s a long gentle down hill. Then you hit the Cornish estate Ruins which is an awesome treat on a somewhat uneventful descent. We went in winter so it was empty but I hear summer is a zoo.

Pretty difficult because of all the ice but well worth the trek!

Easy walking pace or moderate running, this stunning gem should be on your list of HV hikes.