Cobble Hill

Cobble Hill is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a very short but enjoyable trail through woods and then up onto a rocky outcrop with a nice view. Great hike for kids - streams to enjoy, woods and a very fun rock scramble with a rope to help you up. The views are great for such a short hike.

Hiked today windy icy up top near rope ,fun hike.

We hiked the steeper trail up and back in hiking boots this morning. Fresh layer of powder! Quite a bit of scrambling but nothing too difficult... a delightful find!

Very short trail for decent views. Starts pretty easy then climbs up a rock face. Micro spikes essential there as it gets pretty icy. Great to throw on at the end of a long day.

Nice short trail to start the day. Goes up about half way in. Had to work a bit. Yaks were the way to go. A warm up a few days before and it was mostly ice - and snow under ice. Nothing terribly treacherous with the right footing. Nice view at the top.

Great trail for winter or summer. Note: the trail head is at the back of the school and google maps will take you to the front. we were a bit confused by this. Easy path was relaxing, great snowshoeing. Harder trail was fun, more work. Hand over hand, use of rope. I would recommend up the harder trail and down the easier trail, or inexperienced/younger snowshoers skip hard trail all together. perfect morning hike without full day commitment of a peak or tower.

SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult in the snow. Especially if you take the “hard way” do not attempt the hard way in the snow unless you have winter climbing gear. I got all the way up to the rock face and in 2 feet of snow and nothing but a backpack and hiking boots it is basically impossible. The long way is almost equally as difficult once it gets steep. Attempt this in the spring or fall instead for sure :)

First time out in snowshoes. Had to take long way in and out due to trail conditions. Total time was a little more than 2 hours. Nice trail. As the climb got steeper it got harder but never really to bad. Was a great view at the top.

nice woodsy hike. We hiked it as it was snowing, and the whole forest was beautiful in the snow. We took the steep way up and the easy way down. Steep way was great, easy way was basically hiking through a river. Great views of the lake though!

Completed on 10/18. There was a dusting of snow on the trail. We did the "hard" up and "short" down, I recommend that way. You get a couple nice spots for views on that way up that you don't get the way down. I also found it easier to go the steep section than down it. Overall not a bad little trail, views would be harder to see if there were still leaves on the trees. Part of the Lake Placid 9.

Great views! Take the ‘harder way up’; it is definitely worth it.

great little hike ut was raining the whole time but still nice view at the top

great quick hike

Reading previous reviews I thought that finding the trail head is going to be difficult, but it's not. Writing "cobble hill trailhead" on Waze leads you right to the trail.
We did the steep way up with a 35 lbs, 3-year-old toddler on my back and it's totally doable. We took the longer way down through Echo lake.
The signs throughout the trail are very clear.
Overall, this is a great hike which combines fun with a little challenge.

Enjoyed

Enjoyed hike

Fun hike, very well cleared, and still get a workout in. I would definitely recommend taking the “short” way up. At the summit there isn’t much of a view due to trees, but about 0.1 miles before along the hard route you get a cool view of Lake Placid.

First trail of the LP9ers. We had a great time. Parts of the trail were a little technical but nothing crazy. Good loop trail.

We did the loop, taking the longer lake side first. We decided to take the shorter steep side on the way back. Good thing there was a rope on a very steep section to help us down. We had to cut our dog loose so he could maneuver for himself.
It had rained in the early morning so everything was still pretty wet/slick.
Fun hike with nice views at the top.

was a great first hike in the adirondacks with my 10 and 14yr old. Beautiful views.

The perfect family hike that ends with a spectacular view.

Great hike for the family

super convenient from where we are staying (beech hill). a nice, quick, relatively easy hike with some nice views from the top. the scramble up the steep side is difficult as advertised (there’s a rope to help you get up the steepest section) - but totally do-able for most.

completed with my 5 and 6 year old — lovely. We did the loop with the short scramble up and took the longer Echo Lake way down. Make sure to call out near the lake to experience the amazing echoes.

Good one if you’ve got little hikers in tow. Our 2 and 4 year old loved it. We chose the lower, less steep side and just went out to Echo Lake and back. Sorry to the people living in the fancy house on the lake. My kids loved yelling “ECHO!” across the lake.

Nice hike. Took the short steep route up. I was worried a bit from some of the reviews since I consider myself a 55 y.o. beginner hiker and not in great shape. It was a little tricky, but not too difficult. Some nice views from that trail. Went down the easier gradual trail.

Cobble is fun. I do it regularly as a workout with a view more than anything. It’s fun that you can get onto a little mountain and in the woods right from main street in Lake Placid. A great starter hike to help get you in shape to do some hiking. I recommend doing it as a loop trail, up the shorter/steep trail (though it’s not that steep) and down the longer trail where you will pass echo pond. A fun mini hike that can take less than an hour round trip

Perfect for our family

There are two options to get to the top. A longer moderate trail along the lake with fallen trees, climbs and switchbacks to get you there (about an hour). There is also a more direct route, very steep incline. I took the moderate route both ways. Signing the trail could be better. Make sure you bring water, wear heavier hiking shoes and bug repellant. Bringing kids? Outfit them accordingly. I saw a little girl with flip flops, a dress and crying about bug bites. Really? I bet she won’t want to hike anymore.

Quick hike with some rock scrambles. Nice view of Lake Placid. A few muddy spots. Short trail only took about 20 minutes to summit. I did the short trail up and back.

Short, scenic hike! Didn’t take us long to reach the peak with our pup.

We took the steep way up, and the “easy glades” way down. It was muddy but manageable. I would not want to travel down the steep way in any moisture or with a pet. It’s just too steep and the footing isn’t great. There is a rope which helps on the way up the very small bit of straight rock scramble. It’s a fun, small challenge for those not used to them.

The steep way up has a beautiful lookout point (prettier than the summit) that makes it totally worth taking the steep route. Worth checking out! :)