Cobble Hill

Cobble Hill is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a very short but enjoyable trail through woods and then up onto a rocky outcrop with a nice view. Great hike for kids - streams to enjoy, woods and a very fun rock scramble with a rope to help you up. The views are great for such a short hike.

Totally underrated hike. The views are great, and it was easy enough that we could do it after a strenuous day of activity. We hiked the longer, easier route for both ways.

We really enjoyed this hike. The views from the top were tremendous. We chose this one because it said easy and kid friendly. We had our 5 year old with us. If you have a young one, definitely avoid the more challenging path. The descent on the easy path was challenging enough for her (and me with a 2 year old on my back) with the ice and snow.

I’m not in the best of shape so I found the steep side up to be hard work at times. Needless to say I made it and it felt great to reach the top. While the skilled hiker will have no problem with this trail, the novice may find the steep side ascent to be a challenge, particularly if the conditions are wet. Wear the right shoes, the trail is muddy after the rain. Some pretty sites, including Echo Lake. I’m glad we did the steep grade up and the moderate grade on the way down.

We had a hard time finding the trailhead. On Mirror Lake Drive, enter the driveway just before the school sign. You will see the trailhead on your left as you drive in toward the brown residential buildings. This was our second family hike ever with two kids-4 and 8. We took the steep trail up and the longer trail down. It was well-marked. The kids did great and took the scrabbling over rocks in stride. I, on the other hand, thought it was rather scary at that part, and should be rated moderate.

We did the easy path on the way up and the harder path the way down. Fun, with good views up and down!

Fun trail with great views. Fun rock scramble but may be moderate instead of easy.

Nice easy walk with stunning views during indian summer

Excellent hike with two rewarding views at the top. Dogs loved it too!

I’m glad we opted for the shorter length on the way up as it was more challenging but relatively easy. Great views for fall foliage.

Cobble hill is a good hike. Although it is a short hike, It should be rated moderate. With all the cobble stones on the trail, it feels like your walking in a dry creek bed at times and can be steep at times for elderly or young children. I would recommend the long trail for groups with elderly or young children. The short trail involves scaling a rock face with the help of a rope. However, the view is great from the top.

Entrance is difficult to find. If you can’t find it please go ask people. You will see the trailhead sign next to the trailhead parking (see the photos) which is the correct entrance. After 0.25 mile, you will see two options (see the photos again). Please go easier one if you don’t want to climb the rocks for a lot of time.

Beautiful, short trail. Great for kids and familes. Echo Lake is gorgeous, and will only get prettier as the leaves change. Views from top are ok, you can see the ski jumps in the distance.

First thing is the directions (gps) really need to be changed. They should indicate that the trail is inside the campus of Northwoods School. I've been coming here for years and would never think I had access or permission to drive on campus. So we drove around in a circle 5 times until we just went up to the school anyway. And there is not a sign anywhere until you drive onto the campus where the parking is for the trail.

Second, this trail is by no means easy. That should also be changed in the description. For people looking for a mild nature walk, this is not it. For people who don't hike or are not conditioned to do strenuous walking and climbing should not do this trail either.

We do not hike but was looking for a great nature walk with some hills okay. This is not a leisure walk and it sounds more like a family leisure walk with the option to climb the hill by the description. That is not the case. There is constant climbing and strenuous activity. It was fine for us but we encountered an older couple looking to walk and didn't know what to do when they came to an area with rocks to climb. We suggested they go back.

Other than the deceiving description we loved it and had a great time because we were able to withstand being exhausted. So please be aware this is all climbing and maneuvering on rocks, trees and other obstacles( if you are not someone who hikes).

Loved this hike, gorgeous light and trails, very quiet, so peaceful and beautiful. really stunning trees throughout. One of our favorite hikes in Lake Placid! Easy to find off Mirror Lake Drive and sign posted trailhead with parking.

Really hard to find, directions are not too accurate on here, we asked for help.. but the view is def worth it!!! Great quick easy climb and good for kids. There is 2 options a harder trail with rock climbing (not bad at all good view) and a easier 1 mile trail that goes around echo Lake to the top of the hill. Great family hike!

Nice trail with a few challenges nice view at summit

Took my 4 and 5 year old up the shorter, more steep ascent, then down the longer path near the pond. The ascent was a challenge for them, including a rope pull up the second to last summit, but views were spectacular.

It was a very nice easy hike. I recommend taking the route down via Echo Lake. Approximately one hour round trip.

Very well mapped out with clear signs and great for a family wanting to get out and enjoy the day. It was muddy and wet but that was only because we went up after 2 days of rain.

I thought this was easy. Very muddy and pretty steep in places.