Claudius Smith's Den

Claudius Smith's Den is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tuxedo Park, New York that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

only the parking spot was little confusing. other than that, overall experience was awesome. we started from 67 Johnstown road, Sloatsburg (a small parking space for 4 cars). started with Orange and connected to Blue trail and did all the way up to TMI and joined in Red trail to join the Blue trail and the to while trail to get back to orange trail. overall 6 mile loop. unfortunately we did not bring lots of water and there was no water source either. awesome views.

This hike is beautiful but be cautious to follow your trail markings at ALL TIMES. It's fairly easy to drift off onto nearby paths.

Hike this with the hubby and our 10 yr old havanese. This hike was full of surprises, ups and downs, and 3 (or 4?) summits, rock caves, and lots of wild raspberries and blueberries to snack on along the way. Saw some Beatles, a lizard, and a tiny frog. Took us about 5 hours to hike the 6 mile loop, but that's bc our dog is slow and we stop a lot to snack on wild fruit! Definitely a beautiful hike. No one was around, so it felt blissfully remote :)

The views are really good. We followed the Blue-Disc-trail to Almost Perpendicular. There is a steep rocky climb in the beginning till Almost Perpendicular. The view is awesome up there. Then we followed the blue trail to another good viewpoint Claudius Smith's Rock. From there we followed red trail where we dropped elevation gradually. In the end, there is white trail that brings you back to Johnsontown road Parking. I loved the blue-disc trail which is challenging and has steep climbs. White trail is just flat and not well maintained. Overall, a very good experience for me. As a beginner in hiking, I found it little challenging but doable and worth it on reaching the top.

Too many people, dogs not on leashes. Shelters were all occupied with people with tents essentially making it super uninviting. Not to mention the stealth campers every 2 miles or so setting up fire rings everywhere. Trash like nobody's business I hiked out a whole grocery bag full of it from Bald Rock.

This is my opinion and each person that hikes is at their own level. For my hike I would see this as an intermediate hike rather than the hard classification it is given. There is some minor rock scrambling but by no means difficult. And the long walks between the more challenging rises and descents break up the hike which is why I rate it more of an intermediate than hard. At the tops of hikes the hikes the view is very nice and I hiked on a perfectly clear sunny day 1/1/2017) which enhances the view. Pay close attention to the trail blazes as there are many trails on this overall hike. I have started exploring this part of NY state for hiking and will continue.