Chimney Mountain Trail

Chimney Mountain Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North River, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

cave

bring snow shoes

Perfect day sunny with 2 inches of snow and ice views were great

Awesome! Pretty steep in the winter, with lots of ice! Well worth the hike tho!

short, with some what of a steep hike with an amazing view. would be nice for a picnic.

Always enjoy this hike any time of year except spring but only because the black flies will eat you alive.

Fantastic hike! Roots, rocks, earth underfoot. Not difficult other than steadily steep with a few level parts. Take your time, it is a short hike and well worth the effort. Incredible views. Rock formations atop are incredible! This spot is a false summit as there is a trail heading out to the real summit which has a 360 view. We opted out this time. Wish we did not but there’s always tomorrow!

Thought be more rock scrabble .. decent trail condition nice view

Awesome,it’s a must go to. Definitely recommend this hike

Hiked up on 6/1/18 and camped until 6/3/18. Lots of caterpillars at the top but it was a nice hike with beautiful views!

This was a great hike. It was steeper than I would have expected a kid friendly hike to be, but the payoff was worth it. The caves and rock formations are awesome, but you won’t be able to take full advantage if you bring a dog, unless you have someone to take turns holding the leash with you. The view is great at both Chimney Rock and the actual summit, but it is truly spectacular if you are brave enough to climb on top of the rock formation next to the chimney. The caves and Chimney Rock had a lot of traffic, but we were the only ones who traveled on to the summit. It is only about a 1/4 mi flat hike farther and was worth it. My kids had fun finding toads in the woods on the way up and down. Probably about 20 in all which was good for distracting them briefly from the steepness of the trail. My kids are 6 & 8 and do a moderate amount of hiking and this was rough for them, both up and down.

There is a $2 cash parking fee at the lot. Luckily I had it on me.

Spur of the moment hike but it was good! Super steep in parts but if you take your time it’s easy. Lots of rocks and tree roots to use as steps and to give you traction. For being in what I felt like was the middle of nowhere, the trail was quite busy. No bugs. Took 50 minutes up, 40 minutes down. The top is neat with caves and rock formations. I’d do it again.

Very steep and Rocky ascent. An exhausting trip to the top. Nice rock outcroppings when you get to the top but don’t stop there. Go another 15 minutes for full 360° view

Great hike with wonderful views. Our family has done this several times. The top portion can be a bit steep, and younger kids will just need to take it slower. We have done this in summer and done it in winter with snowshoes.

Great hike! Be sure and follow the trail markers, there are a fair amount of unmarked side trails. Red markers will get you to the top of the chimney formations, near the top is a “Y”; left leads to the chimney rocks and right (following yellow markers now) will lead to the true peak. The hike is a bit strenuous as it does get quite steep near the top but it’s nothing a slower pace can’t fix if you’re not as used to hiking yet. Quite a good hike, not incredibly time consuming but allows for many different explorations near the top and a great view from multiple vantage points.

This is my favorite mountain I've ever explored. We were up there for hours and didn't explore half of what we wanted to! I will be back for sure. Next time with some caving equipment and a few more people.

5 and 7 year old and grownups had a great time. Heard bats near the caves.

Always will be my favorite mountain

Nicest little mountain I have walked up in ages. On a beautiful day, with sun shining, plan to just sit and enjoy a snack or a lunch. It was almost too bad that we had to move on.

I have hiked this mountain in all four seasons. It is one of my favorite 'best bang for the buck" hikes with much to see (East Ridge, West Ridge, True Summit, Chimney Rock, Eagle Cave). I highly recommend! Please watch your children and pets around chimney rock and the cave on east ridge.

Friday, November 10, 2017

nice easier hike, beautiful area, i would go again .

Monday, October 09, 2017

very very steep climb, but short and quick. The little caves and rocks at the top are cool and the views are breath taking ! Worth the climb , took about 35 min to get up the Mtn and lightly jogged it down in 20min. My dog enjoyed this hike as well, def wear good shoes as it is slippery.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Difficulty is rated about right. A gradual but continual incline up the mountain with quite a bit of steepness. It is a great workout on the calves (at least for me) and it was enjoyable to look back and see partial views from the clearings as my DH and I made our way up! Pleasant views are the reward for this hike...not to mention the climbing options my DH liked exploring. Took us 45 minutes to hike up and 40 to hike down. It is unlike any other summit I've ever hiked but only rating it a two because this type of summit just isn't my favorite. A few things worth mentioning: you will need $2 to park, BYOTP (toilet paper) for the port-a-potties by the trailhead, and don't forget your flashlight if you plan to explore. :-)

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

I love this hike, it's short but you get a workout in! The top is beautiful, the chimney's are formidable and fun to explore.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Unfortunately, there were several hikers that didn't have their dogs under control, let alone on a leash. Please don't let your dogs be a source of danger for other hikers.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

not many bugs this time of yeat, great views!

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Steady incline with chances to rest periodically, summit is amazing with lots to explore! Descent was steep but quick. Took about an hr up, we hung out for a while at the top, and about 40min down. Gorgeous view, not terribly buggy this time of year. I would imagine it would be challenging post-rainfall.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Love this hike, but as a senior citizen I suggest it is a hike to take ones time. 19 years ago it was a snap! We made it in and out last week in 3.5 hours and glad we made the trip.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Fantastic trail for a family with kids. We hiked with my wife, my two children five years old and 10 years old, myself and some friends with older children. It took us one hour to ascend the mountain and one hour to descend, taking plenty of rest for my youngest child. We spent two hours at the summit which is the coolest summit I have ever experienced. There are plenty of fun rock formations to climb on and caves to explore. The views are also fantastic. There are some steep sections towards the top, but nothing too difficult for any skill level to handle.

Things to know:

The trailhead is on private property and requires a two dollar donation to park. There is plenty of parking at the trailhead.

There is NO cell phone reception at the trailhead. So plan ahead, you are not going to be able to text your friends if you are running late or have to cancel. There is a payphone at the trailhead to use. And ironically there is cell phone reception at the summit. That is not a joke.

The trail head to the mountain is at the end of approximately 3 miles of well groomed gravel road.

There is a camping section near the summit of the mountain. It is not very big, will hold approximately 3 tents, I am told this is an area that needs to be reserved to camp.

There are two out houses at the start of the trail head. Bring your own toilet paper as they may not have any.

In the town of Indian lake there are a couple of gas stations and a couple of different restaurant options as well

Overall, and excellent place to hike!

Friday, August 18, 2017

Nice trail, not long but quite steep, beautiful views. Didn't have time to see caves. Maybe next time!

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Good moderate ranking. Decent incline but easy enough for most inexperienced hikers. Cabins at the bottom are also a great stay, been going there for years.