Chimney Mountain Trail

Chimney Mountain Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Indian Lake, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

cave

Nicest little mountain I have walked up in ages. On a beautiful day, with sun shining, plan to just sit and enjoy a snack or a lunch. It was almost too bad that we had to move on.

I have hiked this mountain in all four seasons. It is one of my favorite 'best bang for the buck" hikes with much to see (East Ridge, West Ridge, True Summit, Chimney Rock, Eagle Cave). I highly recommend! Please watch your children and pets around chimney rock and the cave on east ridge.

nice easier hike, beautiful area, i would go again .

very very steep climb, but short and quick. The little caves and rocks at the top are cool and the views are breath taking ! Worth the climb , took about 35 min to get up the Mtn and lightly jogged it down in 20min. My dog enjoyed this hike as well, def wear good shoes as it is slippery.

Difficulty is rated about right. A gradual but continual incline up the mountain with quite a bit of steepness. It is a great workout on the calves (at least for me) and it was enjoyable to look back and see partial views from the clearings as my DH and I made our way up! Pleasant views are the reward for this hike...not to mention the climbing options my DH liked exploring. Took us 45 minutes to hike up and 40 to hike down. It is unlike any other summit I've ever hiked but only rating it a two because this type of summit just isn't my favorite. A few things worth mentioning: you will need $2 to park, BYOTP (toilet paper) for the port-a-potties by the trailhead, and don't forget your flashlight if you plan to explore. :-)

I love this hike, it's short but you get a workout in! The top is beautiful, the chimney's are formidable and fun to explore.

Unfortunately, there were several hikers that didn't have their dogs under control, let alone on a leash. Please don't let your dogs be a source of danger for other hikers.

not many bugs this time of yeat, great views!

Steady incline with chances to rest periodically, summit is amazing with lots to explore! Descent was steep but quick. Took about an hr up, we hung out for a while at the top, and about 40min down. Gorgeous view, not terribly buggy this time of year. I would imagine it would be challenging post-rainfall.

Love this hike, but as a senior citizen I suggest it is a hike to take ones time. 19 years ago it was a snap! We made it in and out last week in 3.5 hours and glad we made the trip.

Fantastic trail for a family with kids. We hiked with my wife, my two children five years old and 10 years old, myself and some friends with older children. It took us one hour to ascend the mountain and one hour to descend, taking plenty of rest for my youngest child. We spent two hours at the summit which is the coolest summit I have ever experienced. There are plenty of fun rock formations to climb on and caves to explore. The views are also fantastic. There are some steep sections towards the top, but nothing too difficult for any skill level to handle.

Things to know:

The trailhead is on private property and requires a two dollar donation to park. There is plenty of parking at the trailhead.

There is NO cell phone reception at the trailhead. So plan ahead, you are not going to be able to text your friends if you are running late or have to cancel. There is a payphone at the trailhead to use. And ironically there is cell phone reception at the summit. That is not a joke.

The trail head to the mountain is at the end of approximately 3 miles of well groomed gravel road.

There is a camping section near the summit of the mountain. It is not very big, will hold approximately 3 tents, I am told this is an area that needs to be reserved to camp.

There are two out houses at the start of the trail head. Bring your own toilet paper as they may not have any.

In the town of Indian lake there are a couple of gas stations and a couple of different restaurant options as well

Overall, and excellent place to hike!

Nice trail, not long but quite steep, beautiful views. Didn't have time to see caves. Maybe next time!

Good moderate ranking. Decent incline but easy enough for most inexperienced hikers. Cabins at the bottom are also a great stay, been going there for years.

Would rate this trail as a little more than moderate, but great views at top are worth the trek.

Not a mature trail for hiking. Some part of them is slippy when there was rainfall before the hike. However, a short-period of hiking to the peak, nearly 1 hr one way.

Steep but worth it. Don't stop when you get to the cave. You haven't made it to the top yet.

Beautiful view from the rocks. Very steep last few hundred feet. Windy today. Black flies were pesky but a little deet helped.

great view! My only complaint is the black flies. If you have little ones, you'll want to be extra careful at the summit. The best view if from the rocks, so you need to climb out there. Breathtaking. Not a hard climb at all... took about an hour to get to the top.

Nice climb, lots of black flies, excellent views and great rock formations at the top.

Monday, May 08, 2017

A few steep sections with rough, rocky terrain. A really great view for a relatively short hike.

Friday, April 21, 2017

Took me an hour both times, very steep but great workout! View is very beautiful. I plan on going back to camp for the stars at night ! Caves are dope mannnn, very scary when with small crowds though!

Saturday, February 18, 2017

awesome hike, tougher with deep snow.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Awesome views and rock formations on the summit. Short out and back trail that is well marked. Some steep sections of trail.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

This is rated wrong. Should be easy and not hard. The trail is not that steep and a typical Adirondack trail. Cool chimney and rocks. Keep going past the chimney to the summit for 360 degree views including Blue, Snowy and the High Peaks.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Very nice trail

Friday, October 21, 2016

Really Steep trail but the veiws are really beautiful , especially if you climn the chimney. I couldn't find the caves unfortunately and I was a bit pressed for time , maybe next time.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

This hike was amazing. It is challenging, but I think a moderate rating would be more accurate than hard. The view was gorgeous when I went in the fall. The caves were my favorite part of the hike, so don't forget a flashlight!

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

tough hike but well worth the effort. the caves at the top were cool and so was the view

Monday, September 05, 2016

It was beautiful but my group almost got struck by lightning and died. It took about 2 hours to hike up. The camping on top was perfect. It took about 45 minutes to slide down the mountain in the pouring rain. Scared me for life. Would hike again XD

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

amazing. loved exploring the caves. the way down there's so much to explore.