Chestnut Ridge

Chestnut Ridge is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Orchard Park, New York. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping.

Best place ever

One of my favourite trails. Easy access, quiet and safe

It was a lot harder than I expected but for my first trail I loved it

Lots of hiking, very easy to spend a day here. Though I haven't camped, the campsites looked to be very secluded in the woods (though near the road, still very nice). We saw the Eternal Flame once, which was neat. It's a beautiful short hike through a small gorge, pretty much in a creek. Super fun! Can be very slippery though. We usually avoid that trail when we go now, only because it's very crowded, lots of people. However there are many different parts to the Eternal Flame Trail, it's very long. So we go now to hike the rest of the trail, and avoid the main path to the Eternal Flame. The rest of the hike is not at all crowded, we just went yesterday during Memorial Day weekend and only saw a handful of people. Very nice, long hike trail, lots of little creeks, lots of geocaching, well maintained park. Best to pin where you parked on Google though as there are many splits on the trail, so it can be easy to lose your car!

While not difficult by any stretch of the imagination you can make it what you want. Stay on the mostly flat open paved roads, or challenge yourself a bit and take a run on the orienteering path. The final approach to the eternal flame can be crowded and fairly slippery so take a bit of caution.

This is a great trail for conditioning early in the hiking season or for a quick drive from the south towns just to be in the woods. I might also add it hooks up the the eternal flame trail which adds another 2.0 mi making it a 6.7 mi round trip hike.

I'm a trail running and this is great training as parts can be technically rough, but if you take your time and watch your footing is no problem. Expect elevation gain.