Chester Creek Trail is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chestertown, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.1 miles Elevation Gain: 16 feet Route Type: Loop

Ran this today and stopped at the fitness stations. Trails are poorly managed as well as muddy in some areas the wood on some bridges are lose - ready to break be carful

Quite easy. Quite overgrown. A leisurely walk in the woods. Unfortunately no wildlife except fresh bear scat.

private property

Signage says it’s 0.6 to 0.95 miles, but I came in at 1.2 mi only doing the basic loop. As it’s right in town, behind the town office building, I was expecting an easy, maintained trail. Was I wrong! Bushwhack-paddywack, who maintains this trail? Part of the north loop not only overgrown, but signage takes you off route and through lowlands with active springs. Bring your waders. The wildflowers were beautiful and the fitness centers in the beginning before the loop look fairly new and serviceable.

Nice little trail with some workout stations along the way which were fun for kids. Nice creek views, however alot of this trail is overgrown and we turned back twice to avoid high weeds.

bridge out

I had to complete this trail for the Chester challenge. Easy trail but way too overgrown. Really needs to be taken care of! Won’t be back.

Way too much poison ivy to bring kids

This is basically a walk through the woods and a wildflower field under power lines. Single file most of the way but well marked. Views of Panther Mtn from the bridge on the trail next to the creek. Fine for any hiking ability and even kids. There is also some exercise stations at the beginning/end behind the town fields and basketball court if you're into that kind of thing.

Short, easy trail that follows Chester Creek behind the municipal center in Chestertown. Like other reviewers have already noted, the trail is great when you're following Chester Creek. It's not as great when you're under the power lines. This was my last Chester Challenge trail. I'm not sure I'll go back.

Sat Sep 01 2018

Trail is overgrown and the Boy Scout structure (previously the highlight of the trail) is coming apart. The bridges are nice and the views of the creek and pond are nice. We walked this on 8/31. Saw what we believe to be scat evidence of bear activity. We were able to breeze through this in about 20 min. Moved faster after we saw the scat.

Thu Aug 23 2018

my least favorite part of the Chester challenge. trails are overgrown and along power lines. I felt like I was just walking along an access road between neighborhoods

Thu Aug 23 2018

Missed the turn and ended up just following the “additional trail” along the power lines wondering where we were supposed to turn. Not my favorite while completing the Chester Challenge. It’s only saving grace was the nice trail from the parking lot to the register. They should try to base the rest of the trails off of that one.

Wed Jul 25 2018

Have to agree with another poster, the walk along the powerlines was not the nicest part of the walk. We were targets for the deerflys. A nice walk in a place I didn't know existed. i did a few geocaches while we walked.

Sat Jun 23 2018

Half the hike was pretty along the creek. The other half not so much along the power lines. Nice short hike though

Sat Jun 02 2018

One of my favorite, short hikes in the Adirondacks and for the Chester Challenge! Celebrated National Trails Day by hiking this today with family for my third time (twice during the warm months and once snowshoeing this past Winter). Not strenuous with serene views along the way. Great for families with small children and older relatives! :-)

Mon Apr 30 2018

This was a nice easy hike with minimal elevation gain that makes a great family hike for every hiking ability.

Tue Sep 12 2017

Nicely kept and and marked. Benches all along if you would like to rest or watch for wildlife. More wildflowers on this trail than the previous four I have done in the area. If you want total peace and quiet this trail is close to school and you can hear what is happening on the athletic fields.

Sun Aug 06 2017

Short hike. Nice though.

Sun Jun 25 2017

Short nature walk, trail head is easily found in the library parking lot. There are only a few little hills, lots of benches to take a break and look for wildlife.

recorded Chester Creek Trail