Cayuga Trail

Cayuga Trail is a 9.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ithaca, New York and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.3 miles Elevation Gain: 738 feet Route Type: Loop

private property

No clear markers or signs to trail from the coordinates provided on here. Leads to an apartment complex which also has no signage for trail or anything of the sort. As some others have suggested in comments prior, not a clear starting point in sight. Couldn't find parking or trail. Drove around for a bit, still nothing. Ended up going to another spot about 20 minutes away.

bridge out

This was a great hike, although I should have studied the map a little bit more before I got there. If you want to do the entire 9.3 mile loop, (park by going down the dirt road next to the apartments) and simply follow the orange blaze. This is a very, very well marked trail. With some just beautiful views! Took me 4 hours. Also, I only saw one other person on the trail. Oh, and only one kinda muddy spot. I brought my dog. He loved it too

Very long, tranquil, desolate trail. I didn’t run into a single person. Trail runs along a river for quite some time and has some nice overlooks.

This trail offered a lot of variety and a couple of impressive views. I found it to be well marked overall - just stick with the peach colored blazes. The only place it gets confusing is when it joins the road on 13 and again near Varna where it's hard to find the way back to the trail. If you want to make it shorter and still so a loop Ithaca Trails lists alternative parking spots along the way which allowed us to shorten it to about 8 miles.

good hike, until it started to pour. crossed a couple road which wasn't great. had some nice views!

Mon Jan 07 2019

Not a ton to look at. Easy to follow for the most part.

Sun Jan 06 2019

This is a beautiful and fairly easy hike. We did it on a 45 degree January day, so there were sections that were very muddy—which made steeper sections a bit harder than they would be normally. Two big things to be aware of for this hike: First, there are lots of places to park along the trail, however, the spot the directions button takes you to is an apartment complex that requires parking tags to park... two good spots to park include: at the bottom of Monkey Run road (a dead end that has parking at the end) and the section of the hike that crosses a one way bridge (I’m not sure the road name). But, my recommendation is to figure out parking first! We parked at Cornell on Caldwell Drive and Forest Home—a third good option. Second, there are a number of sections of this hike that are very poorly marked, and these spots are often at weird intersections or spots that are confusing—so be aware of this. What makes it more confusing is that from the Cornell end, the Cayuga trail isn’t marked Cayuga consistently—and there are a number of smaller Cornell trails that are marked. We ended up on other trails in this section, and as a result, ended up doing 11 miles total. I suspect others also got lost or sidetracked on the other trails, too—if you open up the record button above, you can see very few of those recording are similar or actually line up w the official Cayuga loop.

Sun Apr 01 2018

Pretty muddy this time of year, there were times it felt more like a swim than a hike! But that just added to the adventure of this otherwise moderate hike. Nice view of Fall Creek at some spots. Avoid the edge when up on the ridge--saw a tree fall off the hillside which illustrates the erosion that is continually happening there.

Mon Jun 05 2017

This is a great trail! to piggyback on what others have said the variety of ecosystems and elevations are just amazing I like that it is lightly used as well and I'll be bringing my Hiking Club here every once in a while it's a great addition to our regular rotation of hikes!

Sat Mar 18 2017

I love this path, perhaps for nostalgia sake, but it really is beautiful and exemplifies why Ithaca is GORGEous! I would run this track in the evenings and reminded how beautiful the world can be! Wonderful in the winter too with all the snow but less friendly for running!

Fri Jun 24 2016

Love it!

Sun Apr 03 2016

A friend and I just hiked this trail start to end and back to start, during late March. The campus section is a patchwork of natural areas and civilization, but it gets a bit more wild as it goes. It passes through a variety of different ecosystems/topographies, and there are a couple spots with pretty nice views. There are also some points where the routing of the trail feels a bit arbitrary and unnecessary. The trail is pretty well blazed in most spots, but having the map and/or directions can be a helpful backup. There are no bathrooms or places to get water (except for the Plantations Visitors Center).

Sun Jun 28 2015

Trail would have been a 4 star if we didn't have to walk on the road to get back to where we started (Monkey Road). First half was less enjoyable but that may have been because it was wet and rainy when we went. The second half has amazing views of Fall Creek. A good hike, pretty easy, would recommend to do when not rainy.

Tue Oct 14 2014

Went during the fall. beautiful colors. wish there were more markers on where to go. peaceful trip though. great place to spend an afternoon.

Wed May 21 2014

One of my favorite trails!

Sun Sep 29 2013

This is a very beautiful hike. There are some steep areas but not many. The views of the gorge are stunning, especially in fall. The markings on the trees could be a bit better though. It might be easy to lose track for inexperienced hikers.

Sun Jun 16 2013

Nice trail well maintained with some beautiful gorge views. It is not a very difficult trail; only a few short sections might be a little steep!

Wed May 11 2011

Nice trail not too difficult. Beautiful scenery.

Fri Apr 30 2010

I love hiking in the Ithaca area, nice trails, scenery, and all around good time.