Catamount Mountain Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Wilmington, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

rock climbing

Catamount is a smaller prominence in the Adirondack High Peaks region, but is considered by many to be one of the classic shorter hikes in the area. It is often overlooked because of it's smaller stature, which is a huge mistake. This mostly bare mountains offer one of the few sustained "Alpine type The last .8 miles is mostly steep over bare rock with many scrambles and three point hiking challenges. because of it's relative isolation, the views from the summit are first rate. One of the best views of Ester and Whiteface mountain in the entire area.

Love it

My honey and I hiked this trail and enjoyed it. Very well maintained trail with a few fun rock scrambles. We will definitely hike it again in spring.

what A great little challenge lots of rock scrambling ,the was socked in with clouds we waited a bit and it cleared reward us with a beautiful view.

Easy to start off. Then goes into a rocky, consistent incline with several rock scrambles. About 3/4 of the way up you come to a steep, narrow cut out in the rocks, just big enough for one person to fit straight up. After that is another steep climb up rocks. To the left is a smooth rock and to the right is a space so narrow I had to take my pack pack off and go up sideways. If you are terrified of heights like myself I do not recommend this. I had to turn back because it was a straight drop to my right. There is a nice false summit a little before this part with beautiful views and plenty of places to sit and eat.

First off, the distance RT is much closer to 4.5 - 5 miles, the trail has some switchbacks that are a bit off the path on here. Second, the hike was fun. There was some scrambling, which was a a bit tricky, but myself and my father had no issues. I loved the rock scrambles, makes this hike a fun one, different than other scrambles I've done. Once you get up onto the exposed rock, the trail can be very tricky to follow. There are a few trail markers and some rock cairns, go slow and look for these. Have some sort of map just to be safe.

Definitely moderate plus. Quite a bit of scrambling is involved, but well worth it for the views. Very interesting terrain. We got off trail once or twice, but quickly recovered. Probably not recommended for young children. The distance to summit seems longer than the listed 3.3 miles. Otherwise an excellent gem of a hike!

Great hike! Definitely more than moderate because of the rock scrambles and elevation change all within about a mile. The 3.3 miles listed here is only to the FALSE SUMMIT. It’s closer to 4.4 miles round trip to the summit. If you haven’t seen the marker, you’re not to the summit yet! Take your time and enjoy the views!

We had a great day to hike catamount. Perfect half day hike. Agree with Elocin the last .8 is challenging. But fun.

Spectacular views from the shoulder, amazing perspective

This was a beautiful trail. I would rate it as difficult just because of the amount of rock that you are climbing towards the top. I went with my my mom and my brothers who aren't as experienced climbers. If you are less experienced our out of shape, I would give yourself at least 2-3 hours to get to the summit. Great views of whiteface and not a lot of people.

One of my favorite adk hikes that many are unaware of. It’s a little bit of a drive to but it’s well worth it. This hike has it all from woods trails to scrambles to climbing a chimney and false summits. It’s a fun hike just be mindful to pay close attention as the trail can be tricky to follow towards the top so just watch for trail markers and cairns. Many spots to stop and hang out with views along the way as well. Hike took 4 hours round trip with about 15 minutes up top (would have stayed longer but the bugs were fierce that day)

Amazing. We stayed in Lake George/Diamond Point and drove the 1.5 hrs up to Catamount
following Google Maps’ instructions. Shockingly easy to get to, and a beautiful drive. No gas stations, except for one in Keene - be prepared ahead of time. The hike itself started out easily enough, but suddenly took a sharp uphill climb. Before we knew it, we were hand over hand climbing. Two false summits presented themselves - both with stunning, dizzying views. After the second false summit, there was about a 30 minute climb over bare rock to the very top, which was absolutely worth it, but a little more than what I would consider “moderate.” Hikers looking for a moderate to easy climb may wish to stop at the first “summit,” or the second. The trail is well marked in places, but towards the top it is very easy to become confused. As other reviews state, look for small rock cairns, the small yellow trail marker circles, and in particular, at one daunting point, a blue bandanna on a small tree. Despite all this, the hike took a solid two hours to the summit and two more back to the trailhead.

Amazing views on top! I like the scramble towards the top and middle of the trail has a good incline throughout, but the beginning was a bit too flat and drawn out for my liking. I tried to do it with my dog the first time around and had to stop at the scramble, about 0.3 mi from the top, as he couldn't do that part. I have a very hardy and athletic dog, who is able to do almost all hikes with me, therefore I'd say leave your pooch at home for this one, as you really do want to get to the top for the best views.

Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Fantastic hike. This was our groups Plan B, as the Adirondacks Loj trailhead was very overcrowded, parking was over 2 miles down the road past the bridge! We were not disappointed as this smaller peak was very challenging and rewarding.

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Amazing hike, but a tough scramble near the summit. Got a little bit lost going up. Look for cairns, pay attention to footprints and tree limb barricades directing you to the easiest path to follow up. Also, look for blazes on trees and the rocks. Excellent views on top and had complete solitude on this Sunday afternoon.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Great mountain and views. Overall a fairly easy climb aside from the chimney and some of the open rock segments.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Would try again with hiking partners, for me it was just too dangerous alone, so I couldn't get to the top. Next time ! :)

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Beautiful and I love the chimney

Monday, August 14, 2017

Great hike! It took my friend and I 2 hours to complete total! Open rock at the top which could be tricky for inexperienced hikers. Great view at the top!

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Absolutely incredible! And breathtaking views

Thursday, June 29, 2017

LOVED THIS HIKE. Took our kids, it was their second time on this mountain, the first was when they were 10 (daughter) and 8 (son). Now they are 13 and 15. We loved it then and we loved it now. Lots of rock scrambling and the "chimney" crevice was so cool - you have to suck in your gut to squeeze through but it was fun. Maybe not for someone who is afraid of open rock or kids that have not climbed a lot before. - there are a lot of steep drop offs. We have hiked most of the 46ers in the area with the kids since they were 4 and 6 so they were not scared or terribly challenged. This was, for us, pretty easy and WOW what a view for not much effort! Trail starts out flat, then is relentlessly steep; then mostly rock scrambling/medium steep to top. Look for cairns and trail markers - it is easy to get lost. Took up an hour and 40 minutes to top, including several stops to take in the magnificent views.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Trail is steep and difficult at the end. We were very close to the peak but the last bit to get the top was too risky.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Visited as part of a bachelor party weekend. Listed as family friendly but I found it to be quite steep and the rock crevice path is not what I would have referred to as family friendly. Not for kids under 13.

Monday, December 12, 2016

A short, fun scramble to a bald summit with great views of Whiteface. I have been up twice, the last time I was there in summer of 2016 there was a new parking area so the trailhead is now easy to find. You go through a tight rock chute and then scramble up a series of ledges to the false summit. From the false summit you can see the true summit, which is not much farther. Keep your eyes peeled for trail markers and cairns as it's easy to veer off trail. I missed the trail at one spot and found myself going up 4th class rock. Shorter people might need a boost up some spots. I wouldn't recommend going up if the rock was wet or icy. When you're done your hike drive a little farther west past the trailhead to a field where you have a great view of the mountain's rocky slopes.

Monday, October 10, 2016

This was a great hike. It is challenging through the middle and at the top if you aren't used to Adirondack bare rock scrambles. You have to be careful to stay on trail near the top also. It was a little busy the day we went but leaves were at peak so any mountain was going to be that way. The view is amazing. I would not recommend this on a wet day though, I don't think I could've dealt with the rock if it was wet.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Great view at "true" summit with varying forest types along the way. If you're new to Adirondack hiking I would not call this easy, the last 1/3 is steep & a bit challenging-some areas you need to pull yourself up and steep areas of flat rocks on the path became slippery when a rain shower unexpectedly rolled through so use caution if wet. The trail is sometimes hard to follow, look for the cairn - stacks of rocks - along with trail markers which mark the way.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Good hike, steeper than expected and maintains to the top. Be aware there is a false summit! Phenomenal views once there

Monday, August 22, 2016

Nice trail! Notice that this trail gets steep at the end.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Always a fun trail, especially the climb up through the rock chimney. Not a high peak, but it's away from the other mountains, so offers a high peak experience with 360 views. And lots of blueberries in season.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Great hike. Like the little challenges on the way. Good thing there are carins along the way to direct you. Found ourselves going one way when we should be going the other. With about a half mile remaining to the parking lot. Came across a black bear 150' in front of us on the trail. Waited patiently for him to carry on then continued out. Great hike overall.