Catamount Mountain Trail

Catamount Mountain Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Wilmington, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

rock climbing

Catamount is a smaller prominence in the Adirondack High Peaks region, but is considered by many to be one of the classic shorter hikes in the area. It is often overlooked because of it's smaller stature, which is a huge mistake. This mostly bare mountains offer one of the few sustained "Alpine type The last .8 miles is mostly steep over bare rock with many scrambles and three point hiking challenges. because of it's relative isolation, the views from the summit are first rate. One of the best views of Ester and Whiteface mountain in the entire area.

Beautiful and I love the chimney

Great hike! It took my friend and I 2 hours to complete total! Open rock at the top which could be tricky for inexperienced hikers. Great view at the top!

Absolutely incredible! And breathtaking views

LOVED THIS HIKE. Took our kids, it was their second time on this mountain, the first was when they were 10 (daughter) and 8 (son). Now they are 13 and 15. We loved it then and we loved it now. Lots of rock scrambling and the "chimney" crevice was so cool - you have to suck in your gut to squeeze through but it was fun. Maybe not for someone who is afraid of open rock or kids that have not climbed a lot before. - there are a lot of steep drop offs. We have hiked most of the 46ers in the area with the kids since they were 4 and 6 so they were not scared or terribly challenged. This was, for us, pretty easy and WOW what a view for not much effort! Trail starts out flat, then is relentlessly steep; then mostly rock scrambling/medium steep to top. Look for cairns and trail markers - it is easy to get lost. Took up an hour and 40 minutes to top, including several stops to take in the magnificent views.

Trail is steep and difficult at the end. We were very close to the peak but the last bit to get the top was too risky.

Visited as part of a bachelor party weekend. Listed as family friendly but I found it to be quite steep and the rock crevice path is not what I would have referred to as family friendly. Not for kids under 13.

A short, fun scramble to a bald summit with great views of Whiteface. I have been up twice, the last time I was there in summer of 2016 there was a new parking area so the trailhead is now easy to find. You go through a tight rock chute and then scramble up a series of ledges to the false summit. From the false summit you can see the true summit, which is not much farther. Keep your eyes peeled for trail markers and cairns as it's easy to veer off trail. I missed the trail at one spot and found myself going up 4th class rock. Shorter people might need a boost up some spots. I wouldn't recommend going up if the rock was wet or icy. When you're done your hike drive a little farther west past the trailhead to a field where you have a great view of the mountain's rocky slopes.

This was a great hike. It is challenging through the middle and at the top if you aren't used to Adirondack bare rock scrambles. You have to be careful to stay on trail near the top also. It was a little busy the day we went but leaves were at peak so any mountain was going to be that way. The view is amazing. I would not recommend this on a wet day though, I don't think I could've dealt with the rock if it was wet.

Great view at "true" summit with varying forest types along the way. If you're new to Adirondack hiking I would not call this easy, the last 1/3 is steep & a bit challenging-some areas you need to pull yourself up and steep areas of flat rocks on the path became slippery when a rain shower unexpectedly rolled through so use caution if wet. The trail is sometimes hard to follow, look for the cairn - stacks of rocks - along with trail markers which mark the way.

Good hike, steeper than expected and maintains to the top. Be aware there is a false summit! Phenomenal views once there