Cat Mountain Trail

Cat Mountain Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wanakena, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,062 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A moderate walk with an easy mountain in the middle. One of those mountains where the effort-to-reward ratio makes it well worth the effort. I timed this trip perfectly. It was a warm summer day but thanks to recent cold I didn't get a single bug bite despite forgetting bug spray.

Nice trail and views. Easy walking up to the base of Cat Mountain at which point the trail gets steeper. A bit muddy but not too bad. I personally found this to be a more moderate hike.

Had to walk over two rivers.

nice trail. Easy walking to the base of cat mtn. the climb to the top is challenging. bring bug spray!!!

recorded Cat Mountain Trail

Sat Jul 21 2018

probably my favorite hike I've done. very easy and flat until last half mile when it gets extremely steep. amazing views

Mon May 14 2018

Good trail. Marked really well except for the detour around mile 1.5. Beaver dam covers the trail with an instant pond. Missed the corrected turn before the wash out, and ended up trekking through the backcountry then circling around. Otherwise, great trail.

Sun Mar 25 2018

First time ever snowshoeing! Was really lucky to have had someone else out there a day before me to have patted down the snow and made a trail. Made it doable! View up top was great. Will come back when the snow is lower and definitely when it’s all melted.

Thu Nov 02 2017

4 of us did high falls including my father .we all loved the trail and the hike. .did the short detour to jannicks landing also ,i recommend ! we stayed the nite in the shelter at the falls and will do it again , also stocked the fire wood under shelter for rainy days .please keep stocked for the next person ,if possible

Mon Sep 25 2017

Beautiful trail with a lot of landscape variation, beautiful scenery around the end of Cranberry Lake and a great view from the top. Trail really should be rated as moderate rather than hard-- it's basically flat for the first 4 miles, then a slow incline for the next mile. The only steep bit is the last half mile.

Thu Aug 31 2017

Our family had a great time hiking to Cat Mountain. We didn't hike from Wanakena, which would add about 2 extra miles each way. We took a boat to to Janacks Landing and hiked from there. I would say it's a moderate difficulty hike because it's only got steep for the last .4 mile. There were no other hikers on that trail but us though it was a beautiful day, so we had Cat Mountain all to ourselves!!!

Thu Jul 20 2017

The trail is absolutely beautiful. My 3 kids, 2 dogs and I did this today. we couldn't do the whole thing, we did do a lot of it. There was a huge stream from all the rain we couldn't cross. It is muddy so be prepared for that. We loved it though.

Sun Apr 09 2017

it's not a hike for the faint of heart.. but please don't let me saying that discourage you.. there are prestige trout fishing pounds at the end of the hike at the base of the mountain that are rich in brook and brown. but make sure you have time to fish! I first hand know having to hike out at ten - eleven o'clock at night and it's at the very least not fun lol.. I am thankfully a native of the five ponds wilderness and have done the hike many times.. even if your not a fisherman, the views from the top of cat Mountain are some of the best in the Adirondacks and by far the best in my local region and it's definitely well worth the trip! P.S. the pictures of the two guys on top of the mountain were taken by my best friend and i and also feel free to look me up on Facebook and let's plan a camping/fishing trip, the more the merrier!

Mon Nov 05 2018