Cat and Thomas Mountain Trail

Cat and Thomas Mountain Trail is a 9.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bolton Landing, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,719 feet Route Type: Loop

This hike is on a nature preserve made possible by the Lake George Land Conservancy. The trail coincides with the the Thomas Mountain trail up to a clearing some 0.75 miles from the trailhead. Both mountains have far range views, especially on a clear day, and Lake George is easily seen.

Hiked to Cat mtn and the views were great! The trail feels pretty long and a little monotonous but most of it is flat and relatively fast. The last section near the top is more strenuous but it was a great workout!

Most of this loop trail is basically roads.. Only actually trail is between both mountain peaks.. which is much more enjoyable.. I would rather have hiked this an out and back hike going to Thomas mtn first then to Cat and back.. Cat has better views of the lake and is worth the effort.

Gorgeous, perfect day for this hike. Fair amount of running water, standing "puddles" and rocks on the trail to Cat. Lost the yellow trail markers to Thomas - tried twice - once Cat was completed. What was to be a ~5 mile hike ended up being 9..... have 2 titanium hips and a re-wired knee and did not find the trails too difficult.

Did the loop as recommended, Cat than Thomas. Nice view of Lake George and remaining fall colors. The trail from Cat to Thomas was slightly tricky, as the ground was covered completely in yellow leaves and the markers were also yellow.

Go to cat first, be extra careful between cat and Thomas to not get lost. The markers are around bends and over and under dips so sometimes can be missed. Most of this is flat and fast—gets a little funky as you approach cat and between the peaks but the way back from Thomas is really clear and easy downhill.

Great Hike with awesome views!

We’ve hiked this several times, each summit out and back and twice along the ridge trail as a loop. Shame they took the cabin away. Nice views especially in fall. Nice family outing.

Great hike in great weather. No bugs & leaves are just starting to peak. Reached the top before sunset, and the colors were spectacular! Blue/Red trails are wide & well-marked along the straightaway, but not so much at intersections & the peak. Be extra careful - we ended up going far down the wrong trail twice.

Probably one of my favorite hikes to date. The only challenge was the markers were confusing at times and some yellow markers blended in with yellow leaves. Just make sure you keep your eyes Aware of where you are. An amazing view. Start with Cat first as most say for sure !! I would say this is a true moderate rating for difficulty for the novice hiker it may be more of a Moderat to hard hike as it is very long and can be rocky at points.

Great hike. Definitely over 7.5 miles, I would say 9.1-9.4 is more accurate. The beginning parts are rocky, so you’ll have to look down so you don’t roll your ankle. From our experience, here is what I’d recommend: at the initial fork, veer LEFT to go to Cat first (blue). After Cat, travel down blue about .25-.5 miles until blue meets yellow (Thomas). Take the yellow/Thomas trail back to the car. Why? Because if you veer right first (Thomas instead of Cat), there’s a super steep incline for about a mile. Also, when traveling in the middle of Cat and Thomas, there’s a few rock scrambles (I’d rather climb rocks than descend them). If you want a shorter, easier hike, I’d recommend just visiting Cat (it has better views than Thomas). Also: the trek between Cat and Thomas was by far the most challenging.

Gorgeous day for a hike, trails in excellent condition. The only part I don’t like are the maintenance roads with the loose gravel makes for bad footing.

Found the trail itself boring except for the view of Lake George at the top of Cat. Very Rocky much of the trail had to keep eyes down most of the time to keep a good footing.

Picture perfect fall weather for this weekday hike. Took the yellow trail to Thomas and then followed it to the intersection of the blue trail to Cat. Nice, varied terrain and great views. The flatter path got a bit tedious at the end but we say lots of snakes and toads. Would definitely do again.

Great easy day hike with a variety of different views and environments. Rocky road in the beginning and end, a couple scrambles, some lowlands, and lots of small wildlife out today. My recording said we went 9.1 miles instead of the 7.1, though we took no wrong turns so this trail may be a bit longer than 7.1, but I also assume somethings up with my recording.

Very well marked. Beautiful hike with gorgeous views from both mountains

Good hike. Not too steep. Good views of Lake George from Cat. Extremely busy.

Took the 7.5 mile loop starting with the blue trail (staying left at the first fork about a mile in from the trail head) to summit Cat. Awesome trail up and excellent views. We then back tracked down the blue trail to where the yellow trail connects with the blue trail up to Cat for the second time (much further up the mountain) and proceeded to Thomas. The yellow trail from Cat to Thomas was both the most difficult and most rewarding park of the hike. The views from Thomas were lesser but still great. We continued to take the yellow trail back down to the parking lot which from the peak of Thomas which only took 25 minutes or so.

I got started on the side towards cat mountain. somehow I went the wrong way, and went a mile down towards another opening , and had to turn around. I then started following red markers which is what I could find, and follow them up and up. it got very steep. went off track again and set my backpack down, basically on the side of the mountain on a cliff and went up a little farther without it. After the top I couldn't find it, couldn't get back down the way I came and basically lost my backpack and that had my keys in it and everything. I ended up walking a total of 9 miles. Beautiful views, strenuous climbing, and exhaustion 5 hours later. I would go with someone next time.

We hiked to Thomas from this trailhead. Very easy trail as it's just a gravel road. Lovely views from Thomas. The cabin that was once at the summit is now gone.