Cat and Thomas Mountain Trail

Cat and Thomas Mountain Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bolton Landing, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike is on a nature preserve made possible by the Lake George Land Conservancy. The trail coincides with the the Thomas Mountain trail up to a clearing some 0.75 miles from the trailhead. Both mountains have far range views, especially on a clear day, and Lake George is easily seen.

Beautiful hike with wonderful views of Lake George! My favorite hike in the LG area and add will never get bored of it. Beautiful hike to do in all four seasons of the year. It gets a pretty steep at some parts so may be a little challenging for beginners

Most of the trail is in direct sunlight.

A great hike- we went up Cat on the blue trail first, then took the yellow trail to Thomas and back down. Blue trail up to Cat is easy to follow and well marked. The yellow trail to Thomas was also well marked but was relatively ‘rough’ meaning lots of ups and downs, lots of roots and mild bouldering. Def a challenge for a beginner... but well worth it! Lots of fabulous views. When I go again I will go up the yellow trail and down the blue, I like the rough stuff while I’m still fresh!
Highly recommend this hike- you can just do the blue trail for a quick up and back or do the loop for a great workout.

Just want to say be ready for deer flies, I wasn't so had to leave.

Cat has amazing views! The trail between the two was really fun too.

We have done this Loop hike a few times over the years. It is the most stunning in the fall. Nothing like fall colors over the Lage George area! It is even a wonderful winter snowshoe. It is sad that the observer's cabin at the top of Thomas Mountain had to be removed because there are people who just need to deface and damage.

This is a nice hike with quite a few photo worthy views. The hike is not difficult, but may be for younger children. Bad biting flys and mosquitoes all over so bring bug spray. I will do this one again!

I hiked the full loop on 7/11/18. I went up Cat via the blue trail and then down Thomas via the yellow trail. Cat was really easy and only put up a struggle in the last .25 or so, I’d say. From the peak of Cat to the peak of Thomas was considerably more tough. The trail wasn’t as easy to follow and a few points right before the peak (of Thomas) had me searching around a bit for a marker. The views were definitely lovely at the peak of Cat, you could see all of the Lake George Region, and I saw quite a bit of bird activity once I was at the top. The whole loop took me about 3 hours, and it was pretty buggy coming down from Thomas.

Very good climbs and beautiful terrain. The views at the top overlooking Lake George were breathtaking.

Easy hike up cat mountain for sunrise but sad to find out the cabin on Thomas mtn is gone !! :(

Nice views at the top! Worth it! Saddle trail between Cat and Tom peaks a little rough.

Nice hike. Great views at top. Little buggy, bring bug spray

My wife and I did this hike on 6/26/2018.

Our personal hiking experience: wife: minimal; me - decent hiker, have done several of the Adirondack High Peaks and run about 15 miles per week, so in good shape for 55-years-old.

Route: ours was different than the map shows. We parked at the small gravel parking lot off Edgecomb Pond Road, just south of the intersection of Finkle Road. You'll pass a red barn just a few hundred yards and the lot will be on the left. Google lists it as 403 Edgecomb Pond Rd. There's a tiny "To Cat Mountain" sign nailed into a utility pole but no other signage of any kind indicating the trailhead. From there, proceed past the two large rocks onto the fire road that skirts the southern part of the pond. It's marked with red trail markers.

At around 0.9 miles, you come to a T, the blue trail. Take a left. Follow the blue markers all the way to the top, for a total distance of 2.3 miles. Be advised there's a slight detour to the left at around 1.6 miles, marked by a line of rocks and a stick. We missed this coming down but luckily our unintended trail took us right to the detour point. Remember the old rule - if you don't see markers when you expect to, retrace your steps back to the last place you DID see markers.

Views at top: Outstanding. You have almost totally unobstructed views of Lake George and surroundings to the south and east, somewhat to the north, but none to the west.

Difficulty: on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 easy, I'd rank this route about a 3 for anyone in decent shape. The first half or so is very easy but there are a few moderately steep parts from there to the top. The 4.6 total miles took us about 2 hours at a moderate pace.

Popularity: this is a favorite hike for people visiting and who live in the Lake George area since it's got great views, is close to civilization, and can be done in a couple of hours. On our Tuesday, there was a family of 4 and 3 other couples (including a mom and her 8-year old son) at the top while we were there for our 30 minute stay.

I took the yellow trail up to Thomas, then continued on the yellow trail to Cat then down the blue trail. Great views & I had the summit to myself! My favorite part was the trail between peaks, it was so much fun, I'm glad I didn't shy away from it because of the reviews that said it was difficult. The terrain was so diverse & intersting it went by in a flash. I saw salamanders, squirrels, & chipmunks. The trail was well marked & maintained.

Climbed to Cat Mountain summit via the red trail from Edgecomb Pond, which is shorter than the blue trail but with some very steep spots. A solid moderate hike, we logged 4.3 miles round trip in about 2 hours. The view from atop Cat is one of the best of Lake George.

an excellent hike with the difficulty varying through out it. it has a beautiful pond and some good rock walls .
took about 4 hours with frequent breaks .

Nice hike with good views of Lake George. Trail is well marked, easy to follow. Some steepnees before each summit, you earn your views, but not too bad and not too long.

Head up early and bring bug spray. Great hike with some solid views, takes ~3.5 hours.

Start with Thomas and take the red trail back from Cat!

I did the blue trail to and back from Cat. Mt. summit, bypassing the Thomas Mt. trail. I passed a couple of ponds, one with a beaver lodge, although no beavers were seen. The first 2.25 miles was an enjoyably moderate hike with the last 3/4s of a mile up the mountain working the quads! But the reward was a view of the lake and surrounding countryside that was just stunning! And not too difficulty won. It has to be one of the most spectacular views in the Adirondacks!

Great trail for experienced hikers, not so much for us. Thought we were dying by the end of it. Took 5 1/2 hours to go from Parking to Cat’s via the blue trail to Thomas via the yellow trail and back down to the car. Some of the scrambles were definitely borderline 4’s. All in all good day of exercise and fun though. Recommended if you are more in shape than us and like to hike. Make sure you have bug repellant, those blood flies are nasty. Only got 1 tick on the trip.

Hiked this on May 6th. This was my first hike after moving back to NY in 2012. The "new" trail up the final ascent of Cathead is very nice. The traverse trail to Thomas is as wild as I remember it. False summits, rock walls and old logging roads; it's all good. Sad to see the cabin on Thomas gone, but I understand. Great day to be alive!

Nice day hike. I personally chose to go 'left' at the Junction & hit Cat Mtn first, then Thomas. The climb up Cat is consistent, but not too rough. The climb to Thomas (from Cat) has some steep sections, but we hike to climb UP! Cat Mtn has great panoramic views looking Southeast & you can see the other peaks of the "Lake George 12." Thomas Mtn views are not as nice, but one section is still totally worth it. (7.1miles, ~3hrs)

Hard and long. Good workout. Two peaks.

Hiked the full loop yesterday using micro spikes. Trail is really icy on the incline/declines areas. Snow shoes would not work well. Would definitely recommend going counter clockwise. Go to Thomas first. Views are incredible. Total loop time 5.25 hours because of the icy conditions. Good weather probably 4+. Moderate workout in the winter.

Did this over the weekend and it took less than 4 hours. It was a nice hike, pretty icy in some spots but fine with microspikes. My dog struggled with the ice a bit in some parts so I had to help him. Trail was fine without snow shoes, passed a few people on skis. Overall really nice time, will definitely do it again in warmer weather!

Great hike hike today. Snow was not an issue as the trail was well broken in. Highly recommend this trail. Made the full loop in less than four hours. Recommend doing the loop clockwise- trail between the two peaks was the most difficult.

Great hike! It's a bit tough of hike but a good cardio workout. I was hoping to have it done in 4 hours and managed the whole 7.1 mile loop in 3 hours flat! I recommend Cat and then Thomas. Used snowshoes the whole time.

Hiked this Sunday to catch the sunrise. Trail was in good shape, used snowshoes the whole way. Great hike during the summer, fall or winter

I've hiked Thomas a few times, but yesterday was my first time doing Cat. We hiked Cat first then went to the Cabin on Thomas. The hike was well marked and a good balance of easy to moderate sections.

Went to Cat first, then over to Thomas. Was glad I did that because there was some spots I would have had issues going down, but did fine going up them! Some areas were very strenuous but those areas were short. Definitely worked up a sweat and needed a few breaks to catch my breath. Met some great people at the cabin! Was told the cabin will be demolished soon though, so glad I got to hang there for awhile today and enjoy the view. Will definitely return in late spring or early fall. My gps said I did 7.2 miles total, in case anyone wanted to know.