Cat and Thomas Mountain Trail

Cat and Thomas Mountain Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bolton Landing, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike is on a nature preserve made possible by the Lake George Land Conservancy. The trail coincides with the the Thomas Mountain trail up to a clearing some 0.75 miles from the trailhead. Both mountains have far range views, especially on a clear day, and Lake George is easily seen.

Great hike hike today. Snow was not an issue as the trail was well broken in. Highly recommend this trail. Made the full loop in less than four hours. Recommend doing the loop clockwise- trail between the two peaks was the most difficult.

Great hike! It's a bit tough of hike but a good cardio workout. I was hoping to have it done in 4 hours and managed the whole 7.1 mile loop in 3 hours flat! I recommend Cat and then Thomas. Used snowshoes the whole time.

Hiked this Sunday to catch the sunrise. Trail was in good shape, used snowshoes the whole way. Great hike during the summer, fall or winter

I've hiked Thomas a few times, but yesterday was my first time doing Cat. We hiked Cat first then went to the Cabin on Thomas. The hike was well marked and a good balance of easy to moderate sections.

Went to Cat first, then over to Thomas. Was glad I did that because there was some spots I would have had issues going down, but did fine going up them! Some areas were very strenuous but those areas were short. Definitely worked up a sweat and needed a few breaks to catch my breath. Met some great people at the cabin! Was told the cabin will be demolished soon though, so glad I got to hang there for awhile today and enjoy the view. Will definitely return in late spring or early fall. My gps said I did 7.2 miles total, in case anyone wanted to know.

Hiked this trail last month. For it being my first mountain hike ever, I felt it was a good intro to the sport.

Only did Thomas. Easy 40 minutes to top from parking lot. Cabin is insanely cool and the views are totally picturesque. Went back down and drove the 3.6 miles down the road to The Pinnacle and climbed that, which was even shorter and quite easy. Two nice, small mountain views (with different perspectives) easily accomplished in half a day with lots of picture taking. Note: there's a rustic outhouse at trailhead for Cat/Thomas and at the Thomas cabin. No paper so bring some. Loved Thomas views, will be back to do just Cat.

One of my favorite views of the Lake George region on Cat. You can see across the lake to Sleeping Beauty and Buck. The blue trail is easier than the yellow, where the trail is trickier and more difficult between Cat and Thomas. Perfect views in the Fall.

Great hike with great views! I enjoyed the incline. Really got the heart going!!

I started this hike to Cat Mountain summit believing it was a moderate hike. The beginning was pretty easy, along an old logging road. However, as I neared the end, there was a detour off the logging road and that is where things got much harder. The view from the top was well worth the trip though.

Can Alltrails break this down into two separate hikes? Distance and entrance from Edgecomb pond?

At roughly eight miles, this was my first "long" hike in the ADKs (July 11, 2017). Went on a misty day but by the time, my SIL and I got to the top of Cat Mountain, the views were visible and enjoyable! Marking this as a two only because there are other hikes I've done in these parts that are nicer and more enjoyable. However, if you are looking for a short easy hike to get yourself moving, Thomas Mountain would be just that! All a matter of taste, really. The hike up Cat Mountain is wooded, long, and steep in a few places but reminded me of The Chester Challenge hikes combined! The hike up Thomas Mountain is pretty short and not too difficult and what made up for the lack of a view were fresh and ripe blueberries just waiting to be picked! ;-)

Pretty sweet double summit hike. Took Joseph H's advice and hiked Thomas first, then Cat and then down. Nice straight forward shot down off the mountain. The true summit of Thomas is not in fact at the cabin but yet another .4 miles ahead past the "end of trail" sign. The views on Thomas are not as spectacular as Cat but the "first come, first serve" camping cabin def makes up for that. Very cool hikes. I'm what I consider a very slow hiker (avg1mph) and made this loop with tons of picture taking in 3hrs15min.

Gorgeous views at summit, rocky trail

Loved it!! Had everything we were looking for in a hike.

Excellent hike, and challenging for a beginning to moderate hiker. Great views of Lake George make the climb rewarding! Be sure to bring your binoculars to view the hundreds of boats you'll see from the top. Word of advice: if you're planning to do the whole loop, turn right at the fork and go up Thomas first (while you're still fresh for a steep climb), 'cause the trail from Thomas over to Cat has a LOT of up & downs. Then once you reach the top of Cat it's a (relatively) easy and straight ride down. Plan on the whole loop taking 4+ hours.

What a great hike! Took the blue trail up to Thomas, then kept on to Cat, yellow trail down. A lot of up and down, some challenges, have to pay attention to markera from Thomas to Cat. Tricky to find that blue trail, would have been on the orange if it werent for some other hikers. about .4 miles into the trail, you will see a good size clearing on your right, go over a corrugated pipe with large rocks on either side, then the trail is to your right immediately following. it follows a stream for a bit. I marked it with a large "Y" shaped tree branch leaned against a tree. great view from Cat, totally worth it!

What a great hike!!
I went directly to the summit of Cat and skipped Thomas. Great variety of scenery. I started at 7am and reached the summit by 9am. Im in moderate shape and I only took 1 quick break on the way up.
Lots of mosquitos, so make sure you bring bug spray. If you plan on spending lots of time at the summit like I did, make sure to bring sunscreen - not really any tree cover at the summit.
Amazing views of Lake George - Surprised how great the views without back-breaking effort to get there.

Loved them