Castle Rock Trail

Castle Rock Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blue Mountain Lake, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I love this trail! And, while I found it to be a lot of fun, which just enough challenge to keep you engaged. My best friend found the scrambles bad on her knees. This area is known for black flies in the summer and they are very determined creatures. Other than that, please pack a lunch and enjoy the amazing view from the top. This entire area is close to my heart.

Nice stroll through the woods to a fairly easy hike up the hill. Like others; we got turned around on the yellow trail because the trail markers are a little tricky. If you get to a big rock wall/cave (very cool to explore) you have to go back and go to a trail to the left. (Look for spray paint on a rock) The view at the top is fantastic! Well worth the hike when you get to the top!

the wife and I really enjoyed this challenge!
50 something's with novice level experience.
this was a moderately demanding hike for us but very rewarding. we really enjoyed the view from the top and the satisfaction of completing the trip. it gets progressively harder, so take your time and persevere.

Castle rock was by far these most efficient hike for me. The view it grants from the top is way too beautiful for hike that small. I am an intermediate hiker and found this hike relatively easy. I did not do the castle rock loop but just went straight for castle rock. The markers can get confusing at times and one needs to keep an eye out for them.

Awesome

Can't beat the view and the spelunking. Best in the adirondacks for a hike less than 2 miles. Starts of as an easy and pleasant stroll through the woods, but quickly becomes steep enough to require promises of victory donuts for those whose fitness is less than "minimally fit" (for the olympics). Well worth climb.

Great hike! Spent the afternoon with a friend with no plans but to play the day by ear, came along this trail and decided to give it a go. The only down side is the markers tend to be confusing so we had to turn around a few times to get back onto the trail. But there was a really cool rock wall/cave that we explored when we accidentally veered off course, which was stunning! Made our way to the tiny look out and it was breathtaking! The views were glorious and hung out for a couple hours over some IPAs. I'd totally recommend this trail to anyone looking for a fun adventure!

It was a somewhat more challenging climb than we thought, but definitely not out of reach. Wear good hiking or climbing boots. Muddy and rocks. Take the time to explore the rock cave about 2/3 up the trail. Beautiful view, totally worth it!

Hiked with three young boys. Can't beat the view at the top. A lot easier and less muddy than Blue Mountain, but both are worth the climb!

Better views than Blue Mountain! Definitely worth the trip!

Better views than Blue Mountain! Definitely worth the trip!

Nice trail. Great view. Do not pay attention to my recording. Between the flies and the inconsistent gps signal I managed to record nothing. Trail has a few tough spots. Some cool rock formations near the top. Would consider doing it again in the fall.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Great shorter hike. Great views from the top.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Awesome views, plus some really cool caves on the way up, just a bit off the trail.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Outstanding reward for a short hike. Great views of Blue Mountain Lake and the Adirondack Mountains!!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Best short hike ever. Been doing this hike since 1990 and it never disappoints. If you're lucky, no one else will be on top when you get there! Go on a weekday...

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A great, short hike! Very interesting with a couple of harder spots but if you are minimally fit you should be able to get to the top. The problem with this trail is the poor trail markings. Some of the people we met on the trail never found the top which is a shame because the view is fabulous. We did this on Columbus Day and there were only a few others there.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Not as busy as other popular trails, which is nice. You hike past a stream, go over a bridge and see some cool caves before reaching the top to see an amazing view. Fun family hike.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Did this hike as the Castle Rock loop. The view was breathtaking! Trail was relatively easy to follow with some interesting rock formations.

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Super awesome trail! Did this last summer. Cool, old bridge and some very neat, massive rocks. At the top, a gorgeous view complete with a rainbow when we went. Loved it!!!