Castle Rock Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blue Mountain Lake, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The view was beautiful!

Not too bad of a hike and didn't take too long. We wanted to do the loop trail on the way down but didn't see markers and ended up in some cool rock caves. Next time we will start the loop from the beginning. Amazing views from the top

Really great view, and a pretty quick hike! Only took us about two hours. If you’re looking for an easier climb, follow the red trail markers when you hit the bridge! They take you towards the “loop trail”. Excited to climb this one again.

Very nice bang for the buck with awesome views from the top of Blue Mountain Lake and way beyond looking South, East and West.

Great view and fun hike. My family took the loop trail up. It is a little longer, but also a lot less steep from what I heard. When we arrived at the top we ran into a lot of other hikers who were complaining about the hike up. The loop is a nice gradual easy walk with a few streams and a view of a small pond. My dog and kids (6 & 8 years old) had no problem and enjoyed the hike. Near the top there is a short break off the trail that leads to a small cave which is fun to check out especially if you have kids with you. We meant to go down on the other trail, but made a wrong turn and ended up back on the loop, so I can’t comment on the steepness or the conditions other than what I heard from other hikers.

Great trail, AMAZING view from the summit.

Really beautiful spot, great view
Wanted to do
The loop but couldn't find the red trail from the top
So next time we will start on the red trail

This is the 2nd time I have done this hike. The trail is VERY well marked and maintained. The path has a mixed terrain in areas with larger rocks to maneuver. There are two areas with a steeper incline and some people may need an assist depending on their skills/abilities/comfort level. The view from the Sumit is a beautiful sight of Blue Mountain lake.

I loved this trail. hiked it in July 2018, and it was an easy-to-moderate walk in the forest culminating in an awe-inspiring view. When you get to the trail you get an option of doing it as a back and out or a loop we did the latter, which added a little more distance, but it still took only about 2 hours to finish.

Great easy trail, very well marked! AMAZING views at the top

One of my favorite local hikes/snowshoe. A best bang for the buck! I think I have done this mountain about 50 times since 2005. Can't ever hike\snowshoe to it enough. It has the most awesome views of Blue Mountain and BM Lake. Besides that, the hike\snowshoe is not demanding at all and the Talon caves just before the summit are a BONUS!

Parking was not the easiest to find. You have to go through what looks like a private conference center. Once you park you walk through a dirt road to the trailhead. The hike was great and took about 1.5 hours. I brought my year old lab mix who is very fit and he had a blast! It was moderately challenging because of the steepness in a few areas. Dogs that are too young or old may have difficulty with this hike. My dog had to make some 2-3ft jumps up different rocks to continue the trail. Be careful to follow the trail markers to the summit. During one point we veered off and began walking toward the lake instead of crossing a small stream to continue upwards. The view at the top is AMAZING but it’s a small area so their isn’t much room if there are too many people. That would be my only complaint. Overall it was a great hike and I would definitely do it again.

Kids love the ‘caves’ and the view. Nice loop trail down the back side for a different return route.

Fun little hike with a great view for a short distance

Great quick little hike in the middle of the ADK. Trail is marked really well and the view on the top of the summit is fantastic. I could do without the black flies.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

I love this trail! And, while I found it to be a lot of fun, which just enough challenge to keep you engaged. My best friend found the scrambles bad on her knees. This area is known for black flies in the summer and they are very determined creatures. Other than that, please pack a lunch and enjoy the amazing view from the top. This entire area is close to my heart.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Nice stroll through the woods to a fairly easy hike up the hill. Like others; we got turned around on the yellow trail because the trail markers are a little tricky. If you get to a big rock wall/cave (very cool to explore) you have to go back and go to a trail to the left. (Look for spray paint on a rock) The view at the top is fantastic! Well worth the hike when you get to the top!

Thursday, September 21, 2017

the wife and I really enjoyed this challenge!
50 something's with novice level experience.
this was a moderately demanding hike for us but very rewarding. we really enjoyed the view from the top and the satisfaction of completing the trip. it gets progressively harder, so take your time and persevere.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Castle rock was by far these most efficient hike for me. The view it grants from the top is way too beautiful for hike that small. I am an intermediate hiker and found this hike relatively easy. I did not do the castle rock loop but just went straight for castle rock. The markers can get confusing at times and one needs to keep an eye out for them.

Awesome

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Can't beat the view and the spelunking. Best in the adirondacks for a hike less than 2 miles. Starts of as an easy and pleasant stroll through the woods, but quickly becomes steep enough to require promises of victory donuts for those whose fitness is less than "minimally fit" (for the olympics). Well worth climb.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Great hike! Spent the afternoon with a friend with no plans but to play the day by ear, came along this trail and decided to give it a go. The only down side is the markers tend to be confusing so we had to turn around a few times to get back onto the trail. But there was a really cool rock wall/cave that we explored when we accidentally veered off course, which was stunning! Made our way to the tiny look out and it was breathtaking! The views were glorious and hung out for a couple hours over some IPAs. I'd totally recommend this trail to anyone looking for a fun adventure!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

It was a somewhat more challenging climb than we thought, but definitely not out of reach. Wear good hiking or climbing boots. Muddy and rocks. Take the time to explore the rock cave about 2/3 up the trail. Beautiful view, totally worth it!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Hiked with three young boys. Can't beat the view at the top. A lot easier and less muddy than Blue Mountain, but both are worth the climb!

Friday, June 09, 2017

Better views than Blue Mountain! Definitely worth the trip!

Friday, June 09, 2017

Better views than Blue Mountain! Definitely worth the trip!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Nice trail. Great view. Do not pay attention to my recording. Between the flies and the inconsistent gps signal I managed to record nothing. Trail has a few tough spots. Some cool rock formations near the top. Would consider doing it again in the fall.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Great shorter hike. Great views from the top.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Awesome views, plus some really cool caves on the way up, just a bit off the trail.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Outstanding reward for a short hike. Great views of Blue Mountain Lake and the Adirondack Mountains!!