Castle Rock Trail

Castle Rock Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Blue Mountain Lake, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Really beautiful spot, great view
Wanted to do
The loop but couldn't find the red trail from the top
So next time we will start on the red trail

This is the 2nd time I have done this hike. The trail is VERY well marked and maintained. The path has a mixed terrain in areas with larger rocks to maneuver. There are two areas with a steeper incline and some people may need an assist depending on their skills/abilities/comfort level. The view from the Sumit is a beautiful sight of Blue Mountain lake.

I loved this trail. hiked it in July 2018, and it was an easy-to-moderate walk in the forest culminating in an awe-inspiring view. When you get to the trail you get an option of doing it as a back and out or a loop we did the latter, which added a little more distance, but it still took only about 2 hours to finish.

Great easy trail, very well marked! AMAZING views at the top

One of my favorite local hikes/snowshoe. A best bang for the buck! I think I have done this mountain about 50 times since 2005. Can't ever hike\snowshoe to it enough. It has the most awesome views of Blue Mountain and BM Lake. Besides that, the hike\snowshoe is not demanding at all and the Talon caves just before the summit are a BONUS!

Parking was not the easiest to find. You have to go through what looks like a private conference center. Once you park you walk through a dirt road to the trailhead. The hike was great and took about 1.5 hours. I brought my year old lab mix who is very fit and he had a blast! It was moderately challenging because of the steepness in a few areas. Dogs that are too young or old may have difficulty with this hike. My dog had to make some 2-3ft jumps up different rocks to continue the trail. Be careful to follow the trail markers to the summit. During one point we veered off and began walking toward the lake instead of crossing a small stream to continue upwards. The view at the top is AMAZING but it’s a small area so their isn’t much room if there are too many people. That would be my only complaint. Overall it was a great hike and I would definitely do it again.

Kids love the ‘caves’ and the view. Nice loop trail down the back side for a different return route.

Fun little hike with a great view for a short distance

Great quick little hike in the middle of the ADK. Trail is marked really well and the view on the top of the summit is fantastic. I could do without the black flies.

I love this trail! And, while I found it to be a lot of fun, which just enough challenge to keep you engaged. My best friend found the scrambles bad on her knees. This area is known for black flies in the summer and they are very determined creatures. Other than that, please pack a lunch and enjoy the amazing view from the top. This entire area is close to my heart.

Nice stroll through the woods to a fairly easy hike up the hill. Like others; we got turned around on the yellow trail because the trail markers are a little tricky. If you get to a big rock wall/cave (very cool to explore) you have to go back and go to a trail to the left. (Look for spray paint on a rock) The view at the top is fantastic! Well worth the hike when you get to the top!

the wife and I really enjoyed this challenge!
50 something's with novice level experience.
this was a moderately demanding hike for us but very rewarding. we really enjoyed the view from the top and the satisfaction of completing the trip. it gets progressively harder, so take your time and persevere.

Castle rock was by far these most efficient hike for me. The view it grants from the top is way too beautiful for hike that small. I am an intermediate hiker and found this hike relatively easy. I did not do the castle rock loop but just went straight for castle rock. The markers can get confusing at times and one needs to keep an eye out for them.

Awesome

Can't beat the view and the spelunking. Best in the adirondacks for a hike less than 2 miles. Starts of as an easy and pleasant stroll through the woods, but quickly becomes steep enough to require promises of victory donuts for those whose fitness is less than "minimally fit" (for the olympics). Well worth climb.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Great hike! Spent the afternoon with a friend with no plans but to play the day by ear, came along this trail and decided to give it a go. The only down side is the markers tend to be confusing so we had to turn around a few times to get back onto the trail. But there was a really cool rock wall/cave that we explored when we accidentally veered off course, which was stunning! Made our way to the tiny look out and it was breathtaking! The views were glorious and hung out for a couple hours over some IPAs. I'd totally recommend this trail to anyone looking for a fun adventure!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

It was a somewhat more challenging climb than we thought, but definitely not out of reach. Wear good hiking or climbing boots. Muddy and rocks. Take the time to explore the rock cave about 2/3 up the trail. Beautiful view, totally worth it!

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Hiked with three young boys. Can't beat the view at the top. A lot easier and less muddy than Blue Mountain, but both are worth the climb!

Friday, June 09, 2017

Better views than Blue Mountain! Definitely worth the trip!

Friday, June 09, 2017

Better views than Blue Mountain! Definitely worth the trip!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Nice trail. Great view. Do not pay attention to my recording. Between the flies and the inconsistent gps signal I managed to record nothing. Trail has a few tough spots. Some cool rock formations near the top. Would consider doing it again in the fall.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Great shorter hike. Great views from the top.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Awesome views, plus some really cool caves on the way up, just a bit off the trail.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Outstanding reward for a short hike. Great views of Blue Mountain Lake and the Adirondack Mountains!!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Best short hike ever. Been doing this hike since 1990 and it never disappoints. If you're lucky, no one else will be on top when you get there! Go on a weekday...

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A great, short hike! Very interesting with a couple of harder spots but if you are minimally fit you should be able to get to the top. The problem with this trail is the poor trail markings. Some of the people we met on the trail never found the top which is a shame because the view is fabulous. We did this on Columbus Day and there were only a few others there.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Not as busy as other popular trails, which is nice. You hike past a stream, go over a bridge and see some cool caves before reaching the top to see an amazing view. Fun family hike.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Did this hike as the Castle Rock loop. The view was breathtaking! Trail was relatively easy to follow with some interesting rock formations.

Saturday, July 04, 2015

Super awesome trail! Did this last summer. Cool, old bridge and some very neat, massive rocks. At the top, a gorgeous view complete with a rainbow when we went. Loved it!!!

Friday, May 30, 2014

This trail is perfect for a family hiking, children from 6 yr can do it easily. The reward for adults is the amazing view on the lake and for the kids are the caves that we can find on the trail just before the top.