Cascade to Porter Mountain Trail

Cascade to Porter Mountain Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

4,098 feet, Cascade Mountain (ADK #36 @ 4,098') and Porter (ADK #38 @ 4,059') are two of the easier high peak trails and very popular. The Cascade Trail can be steep st times with a few easy rock scrambles but it is not an overly tough trail. There is an excellent waterfall along the trail and amazing views at the summit. You can turn around and head back down or continue on to Porter for another High Peak. The trail to Porter is not as heavily traveled and offers some excellent woods. These two 46er's a good start for you list as they are right off Rt. 73. This 4,098' tall peak along with it's neighbor Porter at 4,084 are great starter peaks for aspiring 46ers as they are close to the road an a relatively easy climb, albeit steep. When you get to the junction and you are tired take the time to rest on Cascade and continue on to Porter as this is the easiest way to get both mountains.

First 4,000 footer for my wife & I. A little mud made it just as tricky going down as it was a workout going up. Views were well worth it. Cooled off in Cascade Lake at the bottom.

Did this today with my 8 & 10 year old daughters :). We chose to do this hike on a Wednesday to avoid the crowds which I thought to be semi-logical idea but this did not ring true and frankly, although it wasn't as bad as a weekend there are A LOT of people. We chose to summit both Porter and Cascade. We went Porter first which was significantly muddier once you hit the intersection of "Porter .7" than the Cascade trails. This was actually quite enjoyable. We avoid leaving trails as many seem to do as mud makes it more fun! I'd absolutely recommend Cascade/Porter for someone new to the tamed wilderness or new to hiking (it is nice when you start to not feel completely isolated imho) and of course to check your box for 46er status. It's an enjoyable quick hike that at a rapid pace is a good sweat. I'd do it again but only if friends asked. I just prefer more isolated hiking/climbing overall. Our time was 3:10 round trip. We think it can be done significantly faster when trails are dry. Also, we didn't spend much time on either summit as they were both fully covered in fog/clouds. Hope this wasn't too long winded! Have fun!

I havent hiked in about 7 months which is uncommon of me. I am glad I chose to do Porter and Cascade first to begin the 46er's. The first 2.5 miles are rough a bit (not in shape). The junction is super cool. It has its own 180 view of algonquin, marcy, nipple, etc... I went to Port first as it was longer about .7 miles it was a really nice trail there and beautiful views!! you can see cascade mountain right across. People look like ants on the mountain!!. It is a congested trail. Heavy traffic. Very muddy. The worst part is that people are scared of mud. Versus your REAL hiker who respect the trail and doesn't mind the mud. Trails are a bit ruined because of the "guest" hikers that make their own trails around the main trail just because of the mud. Very disappointing. But overall.. Worth the view at the end.

It's a haul, uphill both ways after leaving the Cascade trail. Summit is difficult to find, Steward on Cascade told us exactly what to look for. Muddy and the view stinks, but many are just checking the box on their 2nd high peak...

Pretty much as advertised. Spectacular 360• view! Took a little under 2 hours to the top and a little less coming down with my 7 year old daughter. (I was definitely slowing her down, in both directions!) The hike down was a little rough on my knees (but there are few declines that aren't these days). I would definitely recommend and hope I have an opportunity to do again!

Hiked 7/6/17 in just over 4 hours. The steady ascent to cascade was forested with a bald outcrop you can sit on roughly halfway up. The top of Cascade has spectacular views in 360 degrees, but is very windy. Bring a jacket if you get cold easily! After backtracking to Porter, the trail got extremely muddy, despite a few days of sunny conditions after the last rainfall. Beware the false summit! You will be looking at a huge boulder nearly 3/4 of the way down the trail, but continue past this for the real summit. The views aren't as spectacular as those on Cascade, but it offers a different perspective facing south and is well worth the visit.

Great hike despite a very muddy trail from the previous rain. So be careful ;)
Otherwise, view on top is just fantastic and breathless. Got to hike back and forth in 3h roughly with a good rhythm.