Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain via Cascade Mountain Trail

Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain via Cascade Mountain Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Cascade Mountain Trail is a popular hiking trail to access Porter Mountain and Cascade Mountain peaks. The trail is exposed and steep with easy rock scrambles along the way. Hikers will be treated to amazing views and a waterfall on their way up. The summit can be crowded during the summer months. The trail is a popular destination for Lake Placid hikers and ski enthusiasts. Check the weather before going as cold conditions and sudden weather changes are frequent. The trailhead can be reached from Route 73 before reaching Cascade Lakes.

Beautiful at the top- so worth the effort. We hiked with our schnoodle (who I think is part mountain goat) and my 70yr old mother in law. Took us a little longer than expected so we skipped Porter. It was very rocky so where good shoes or hiking boots.

Hiked them both on 7/11/18. Beautiful day. Was busy but a Wednesday so not as bad as the weekend stories. I did Porter first and spent more time on the top of Cascade (more impressive with 360 views). took me 5.5 hrs with a 20 min stop on Porter and 30 on Cascade. Good hike for the dog too!

Beautiful hike. My wife and kids (ages 9,8,8 and 6 years old) enjoyed the hike to Cascade and Porter. We were hoping to hike Porter first but couldn’t find the trailhead, so we started with Cascade, which is hard to miss with full parking lots on the side of the road. Porter was underwhelming compared to Cascade, which had breathtaking views. The trail to Porter from Cascade was also not well marked aside from a sign indicating the start of the trail. If you’re looking to complete the ADK 46 high peaks then I’d recommend the 30 minute hike to Porter mountain, otherwise it might not be worth it. The hike itself was moderately challenging, but every step was worth the view!

We drove up from CNY early in the morning and arrived around 11. The trail was quieter than I expected (which was nice). Definitely do Porter before Cascade.

I've never climbed a mountain in my life, and it took me about 4 hours round trip, starting at 7:30 today (Saturday). I stopped a lot and took lots of breaks on the way up but the way down was a breeze in comparison. didn't go to porter because the weather was getting horrible, extremely windy and rainy and potential thunderstorms in the forecast. the views on Cascade were well worth the climb, and even the views from the false peak were absolutely amazing. I'm terrified of heights and the trail and rock scramble up to the summit did not bother me at all. 10/10 would recommend. I saw lots of people starting later who didn't have proper shoes, water, or bug spray, so please please please bring water and bug spray and at least wear tennis shoes! also the summit is insanely windy and cold so bring a jacket. I'm going to be very sore in the morning but again, the views were totally worth it.

Get an early start! We started right around 7 on a Thursday and we're lucky enough to have Porter all to ourselves and have only one other group with us on the summit of cascade. By the time we were coming down however the trail was packed! It felt like we had to stop every 30 feet for someone to climb past us. Views from cascade were impressive but I don't feel Porter gets its due credit. Great view of a bunch of other high peaks and a more desolate feel than cascades.

These were our two first peaks of the Adirondacks. This was an easy/moderate hike IMO, not very strenuous except on maybe 3 occasions. I was with an inexperienced hiker and roundtrip took us 5h30, including 1 hour for breaks. I highly recommend starting off with Porter and finishing off with Cascade! Views on top of Cascade are incredible! The route to Porter was really fun, even though the view at the summit is not as spectacular as Cascade.

Cascade is an awesome hike. Porter was not worth it to me...it's very buggy and swampy and the view from the summit is much more impressive from Cascade. However, you can see the Cascade peak from the Porter peak which is kind of cool. It took us 6 hours to do both, but we stopped for many breaks and lunch.

Definitely worth doing if you're looking to ease into the High Peaks as it's a pretty easy hike considering the terrain. It happens to be a top choice with a lot of people with little to no hiking experience; it's great that so many people get outside and I don't mind busy trails, but it means a lot of people who are either inconsiderate or ignorant of hiking etiquette. Very few people heading down observed the "rule" to yield to people ascending and would often barge right through the trail while descending without acknowledgement of any sort. Also lots of very slow ascenders would not move out of the way for faster hikers, creating bottlenecks that were pretty unpleasant (honestly, if you're hiking with a five-year-old, you're not going to be faster than a fit twenty-something, so why not let this person pass?). These were minor aggravations that didn't detract significantly from the experience, but they were quite annoying at times. The view from the top is spectacular.

Did Cascade today with wife and Eric (a neighbor), and two dogs. 500+ people on the trail today and 21 dogs. Nothing bad to say, unless you don't like it busy. Views were spectacular. Some muddy spots. Hike was relatively easy. We were counseled to not bother with Porter. Views not as good and pretty muddy. So we took that advice and the day turned out great!

A super popular hike for good reason. A moderate hike and getting two peaks in a short day is always fun. There’s roughly 3 climbs on the hike with flatter sections breaking it up. Cascade has an amazing summit. Once at the trail split I recommend going over to Porter first then come back and enjoy and hang out on cascade. Porter summit has great views and cascade has different but great views and is much bigger. Fun hike

Great views for a moderate hike!

Awesome

The views from Cascade Mountain are breathtaking! This hike is challenging but certainly doable! Coming big down the mountain was difficult. There are a lot of rocks to step down from and it’s not easy on your knees.

Trail well maintained, moderate but very doable. Beautiful 360 views from Cascade, and Porter offers a great view of Cascade as well as a view of its own.

Great introduction to the high peaks for anyone looking to start the 46er challenge. We looked for one we thought our kids might be able to handle as they have completed some of the smaller peaks in upstate NY. They were 6 and 9 at the time (we hiked it 6/17/17and I forgot to submit a review), and while it was definitely slow and steady they made it. It was a steady incline almost from the beginning and definitely became more of a scramble at the summit. If I were to do it over I would have hit Porter on the way up, we had planned to do it on the way down but I lost via group vote. They were too tired for that extra short trip, and probably for the best as we were getting low on water. The views are absolutely worth it and if you have kiddos who are at least used to hiking the smaller hills you should have no problem. Get there early as parking was already near impossible by 9:30am.

Went on June 29th. I'm definitely a novice hiker and can say the uphill battle was definitely worth it! The view from Cascade is breathtaking. There were definitely some muddy spots towards the top, but overall it was a positively challenging hike. Would definitely recommend starting early in the day!

Porter was a little muddy and the vegetation is a little high. cascade was beautiful.

Belle randonnée, difficulté moyenne, très belle vue en haut de Cascade !

This was still a bit wet and muddy especially on the porter break off, but it was a beautiful day and a well traveled trail so you will not get lost at all.

Hiked on June 17th. I'd suggesting starting really early to beat the crowd. views from Cascade were amazing. Porter, not so much. But a great hike and a good start to the ADK 46er quest!

My friend and I hiked on 6/15/18, it was our first high peak experience. We are definitely novice hikers! The trail was easy to follow but definitely muddy in a lot of areas. Going to Porter is worth it, but do it before Cascade. We were very tired at the end! Descending took more out of us than anticipated. Overall it was enjoyable!

good

Great trails, Cascade has absolutely amazing views and Porter is limited due to vegetation. Porter trail is also very muddy. Highlight is definitely Cascade, where you can see Whiteface very clearly off in the distance above the clouds, very cool.

I just got back from the hike. Know that this is your leg day workout. There are lots of rocks and steps as you climb up, and some real scrambling as you get near the summit. It starts of easy but get's more difficult as you get to the summit. The trail was pretty muddy, especially closer to the top. I did this hike with my 8 year old shihtzu. It's a workout, but doable and the getting to the summit makes it all worth it. The views are breath taking. Just spectacular!

P.S. There is an overlook as you reach the top, however that is not the summit of Cascade Mountain. keep following the trail to get there.

We hiked this in the pouring rain and it was awesome. It was one of our first mountains, and definitely not for beginners. Can’t wait to get back up there to do Porter.

Predictably wet all the way up. Despite a big crowds at the top and bottom, I didn't really notice too much congestion on the trail. Great views (weather permitting) and a really fun hike. I came recommend a good set of waterproof boots enough. In addition to water crossings and muddy trails you'll do a fair bit of scrambling over boulders on your way up to the top.

I only did Cascade this week as I did it and Porter last year. Great hike. I went on a Wednesday and had the mountain to myself. I highly suggest going mid week as opposed to the weekend. I also suggest that if you're planning on doing this trail, then do it now (2018) as it is highly likely that DEC will be moving the trailhead in the near future... turning this into a 10 mile hike.

It was awesome being alone at the Summit and watching the clouds roll in from the Great Range.

Great trail! Took the jaunt to Porter first (muddy trail at this time) and then over to Cascade. Glad my bro and I went Porter first cuz the final view at Cascade was the perfect finish to a great hike. Definitely recommend it!