Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain via Cascade Mountain Trail

Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain via Cascade Mountain Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,293 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Cascade Mountain Trail is a popular hiking trail to access Porter Mountain and Cascade Mountain peaks. The trail is exposed and steep with easy rock scrambles along the way. Hikers will be treated to amazing views and a waterfall on their way up. The summit can be crowded during the summer months. The trail is a popular destination for Lake Placid hikers and ski enthusiasts. Check the weather before going as cold conditions and sudden weather changes are frequent. The trailhead can be reached from Route 73 before reaching Cascade Lakes.

We had a great day! I would recommend this hike to almost anyone. It was fun to do. Almost no flat parts, always going up. The stewards were present at the begining to cheer us up. It was quite muddy and buggy as are every other trails this season. The view from Cascade top is worth the hike. Porter is not necessary I think. The top is just a big rock with lots of tree around so you dont really get a scenic view, and there were so many black flies, I just stayed a minute. For the parking, there were works on the road so some parking lots were closed. We were parked maybe a mile up the start of the trail.

Great trail!! It took us about 2 hours to get up with a lot of breaks and the views were so worth it!! We had a lot of fun as a group of 4! If only there was no bugs

June 23, 2019 Excellent hike with my sister Lisa we also did Porter Mountain, beautiful day, took us just under four hours round-trip for both mountains.

great hike. I was expecting a rewarding finish but my expectations were exceeded. the top of cascade is a fantastic 360 view. Took us about hour 45 to get up and got down in about an hour 15.

Very muddy yesterday. very nice hike. not as tough as I thought it would be. took us 4 hours round trip, with a 20 min break on top, however very windy on top.

My 9 year old son and I decided to start climbing the high peaks in hopes of becoming 46Rs. This was our first trip and an amazing experience. It was very wet from morning rain and muddy. You have to climb up quite of bit of rock on the way. When we got to the top, we decided to go to Porter first. This was a cool experience as you make your way though a stream bed for the first stretch. It was incredibly muddy on the way, but glad we did it. Only disappointment was that we could not find the marker for the peak. The view was okay, but not the best. We then made our way back and went to Cascade, which was amazing. There is a big rock formation for the last section that you have to climb up. The views were absolutely amazing and so worth all the mud we dealt with. Great start on our journey. Due to mud we went a little slow and only averaged 50 minute miles. Took us 6 hours including breaks to do the 6.6 mile trip.

Beautiful trail that is a steady climb to the top (Cascade mountain). Some areas were still quite muddy, but there were roots or rocks you could scramble over to keep out of most of the mud. Stopped for lunch at the top which was glorious - sunny with a beautiful breeze to keep the bugs away. Amazing 360 degree views from the summit. Completed in 2.5 hours with an 8 and 10 year old (not counting our stop for lunch at the top). Definitely plan for this hike during your trip!

Was amazing! Have only seen 10 people walking the trail today.

wife and I got to the trailhead early at 6am and were one of the first cars there. summited Cascade and Porter by ourselves. on our way back saw over a hundred people, too many in tennis shoes and no water. make sure to get there early, it's worth beating the crowd! top of Cascade was crazy windy. beautiful view but a little hazy from an incoming rain. accidently did Porter twice because the summit isn't marked so we kept going over the other side.

Great 2 1/2 hour trail up and down. Forestry personnel at bottom of mtn to welcome you. The trail is a good mix of moderate to just beyond moderate. Went on a Saturday and the # of hikers was not bad at all. A good “take”.

Loved this trail. It was muddy but with regular hiking shoes it was no big deal. The views at the top of Cascade were so worth it. It is pretty steep and we went on a very, very windy day so be careful on the Summit and pack accordingly. Was our first 46er mountain, and if the goal is to do all 46 mountains then definitely do Porter in the same day.

Great hike! Was my first 46er and took about an hour and a half to summit. Not too muddy but plenty of rocks, pretty much the whole way up. Worth every minute once you get up there.

Nice trail with an awesome view on top of cascade. Muddy and rocky. Hiked with my dog. Went on a Saturday and there was so many people. So sometimes we’d have to wait for people to go by on the narrow trails, which slowed us down a little.

3.5 hours of moving time for both peaks. Muddy but worth the view. Not too strenuous, recommended for any level of hiker.

I am a rather inexperienced hiker and I made it to the top in 1 hour 30 minutes. Not very hard but definitely gets the blood pumping. Scaling rocks a lot. Shaded the whole way. Very muddy. Honestly I loved this hike a lot. I definitely recommend leaving early to beat the crowd. Awesome view.

recorded Recording - Jun 09, 02:21 PM

As others have mentioned, trail muddy most of the way but not too bad to navigate. Low 70’s bluebird day made the hike amazing and the view from the top of Cascade and Porter is breathtaking. My garmin said the hike to the top of Porter, Cascade and back is 5.91 miles and it took us just over 4 hours (which included a 15 minute break at the top of each. Lots of peeps on the trail which was cool. Highly recommend these two peaks!

06/08/19, Hiked with two of my kids and some friends, was a little muddy but was a very nice hike. Great views on top of Cascade Mountain, Porter had decent views. My first two on my start to becoming a 46er!

We hiked to Cascade only, and did not take the Porter trail after we heard that it did not have a good view. This hike was about 5 miles and took 3.5 hours, not including the time spent at the peak. Mostly rocks and a lot of mud, not really many flat areas. It’s an uphill climb from the beginning, but the 360° view is breathtaking and more than worth it!!!! Around 30 people out on the trail that we bumped into along the way. Don’t forget bug spray. :)

Solid hike. Completed in 3 hours with a couple 5 minute breaks. Most of the hike is muddy and wet.

Trail was very rocky and a bit muddy in spots but easy to follow. Only went to Cascade. Views at the top were amazing. Took about 4 hours round trip with spending some time at the peak.

Beautiful trail. 6 miles round trip if you include both Porter and Cascade peaks. Moderate intensity for most experienced hikers, mostly due to the often rocky trail and some muddy areas. Overall it’s not too steep and the majority of the trail is wooded, so lots of shade. Porter peak is very pretty, and Cascade peak is absolutely stunning- open rock face on the top with views of peaks for miles and miles. Took us 4.5 hours including 10-15 minute stops at both peaks. Not too crowded yesterday- we probably passed 30-40 people tops, and at 1:30 pm the ranger at the summit said there had been 86 people total that day. Trail was very clean (no garbage seen!) they’ve really cleaned it up!

This was my first ADK 46er and it was extremely muddy over Memorial Day weekend. Overall, the hike is well worth the very rewarding view at the end. It’s steep in places so bring your hiking poles too. I would say as a casual hiker this was a moderate - hard hike. More experienced hikers may disagree but for your weekend hikers, this was not a quick, easy hike. It took me about 4.5 hours roundtrip and the bugs were definitely out in full force so remember your bug spray as well.

We did this trail 9/9/18.....only did it to check it off of our 46er list. Not really one I’d ever do again. Extremely overcrowded by annoying humans....(I probably saw 300 + people in the time I was there... this is a tourist mountain) It’s the easiest two peaks out of the 46. Great views from the top. Took us 3 hrs total. Easy peasy. We used no gear....no poles required...unless you have a knee issue. Just a small backpack with some licorice and water. Save yourself a lotta hassle and pack light- it’s short.... bring a packable windbreaker if you’re the type who get cold - it’s windy and cold at the top. Don’t listen to a single person who says this is hard. ( Want hard??? Santinoni/Panther/Couch peaks are hard...we did those in one day . 17 mi -a lot of unmarked herd paths...you may be the only person on the mountain on a given day). Mountains are ranked on this mega scale because you have to separate what is actually hard from others that are only hard for non hikers. Cascade and Porter are incredibly easy to people who are aiming to get their 46. Yes it’s all incline but there’s no scary stuff. No rock faces...the trail itself is not challenging. Kid Friendly, if they are used to hiking. It all depends on who they are. If they don’t like hiking and whine everywhere they go, then you’re probably going to have issues. This is probably the most kid friendly of all the 46. I saw a ton of kids all sorts... there were even toddlers. I’d say an active 6-7 yr old would be able to do it without much assistance. 3 mi up-3 back - 220 floors ( according to the pedometer on my phone) if you hit up both peaks. Like I said don’t listen to anyone who says this one is hard. It’s not.