Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain via Cascade Mountain Trail

Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain via Cascade Mountain Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Cascade Mountain Trail is a popular hiking trail to access Porter Mountain and Cascade Mountain peaks. The trail is exposed and steep with easy rock scrambles along the way. Hikers will be treated to amazing views and a waterfall on their way up. The summit can be crowded during the summer months. The trail is a popular destination for Lake Placid hikers and ski enthusiasts. Check the weather before going as cold conditions and sudden weather changes are frequent. The trailhead can be reached from Route 73 before reaching Cascade Lakes.

6 minutes ago

Did this in December with snow and ice on the ground. Porter was a little non climatic and was difficult to tell where the peak was since there was snow on the ground. The final .1 or so to Cascade was a nice rock scramble and great views.

We just did cascade today. A little icy and very windy and cold at the top. Beautiful snowy trail though! Not a very steep hike! Cramp-ons for the ice and ski mask, googles for the summit may help if you’re going on a cold windy day!

so many people...but the views let you know why

Favorite hike in the Placid area. Most of the trail is shaded and somewhat hidden. The exposure and view at the top is completely worth it.

I started hiking in the High Peaks region about 3 weeks ago and made the mistake( a very rewarding mistake) of doing Algonquin Peak first. Cascade and Porter was supposed to be much easier according to the reviews I read, but I’m already convinced that there are no easy 46 er peaks to hike. They’re all difficult!! Some just happen to be more difficult than the other ones! Porter Mountain was so so, but Cascade was spectacular!!! A must see if you’re in the neighborhood!!And now I have to start to plan my next one.

Beautiful view from cascade. Way to where the two trails meet is the hardest part of it all. Do porter first since it's farther away and the view is the lesser of the two. Very muddy and a little icy this time of year. Great hike though, friendly folk all the way up but a little busy

This was my first of the 46 peaks. I did this one because I wanted to see where my fitness level was. It seemed to go on forever, I would make sure you have enough water and food with you to recharge. I didn’t make it to Porter, but wish I had tried for it but I just didn’t have it in me that day.

The views at the top were magnificent and I’m glad I went. Make sure you have supportive footwear because the trip back down is very slippery with the crushed rocks under your feet, you will do a lot of sliding and it would be easy to sprain an ankle.

Saw no children under 12 the entire day so that tells you what the expectations are regarding this trail. Must have been 40 to 50 cars in two lots and on the side of the road when we arrived back to the car after completing this hike. CRAZY busy trail; late October, Saturday, 65 and sunny is why. I'm told it's always slammed, so get to trailhead way early. Wasn't too bad for parking when we got there at 8 am.
Easy hike, just longer-ish for noobs to hiking. This is a short trail with gradual ascent if you're doing 46'ers. Def make the right turn at the fork and do Porter (you'll know when you get there because you'll see the sign) first and do Cascade 2nd. Porter is fine for views but there's trees; it's not wide open there. Cascade is wide open for great panoramas. Porter trail was swampy so be aware. Fun to puddle jump and log walk on that trail!
Wish people would leash their dogs. Found quite a few rude hikers to that wouldn't move over to pass or even acknowledge you saying hello; hey, that's the world in which we live now. I'm used to it.
Kinda bummed about how crowded it was; tough to get good pics without a bunch of cidiots in them. Should have gotten there at 6 am I guess. And who hikes with a boom box with gangsta ramp bumpin? Thanks for the noise pollution moron...we're in the ADKS...respect!!!! This ain't Flatbush Ave.

Great views ... heard alot of people say they did cascade first ... do porter first then cascade ... a: because view for cascade is a ton better ... and b: if you do cascade last less land to travel on the way out ... helps alot ... and yes i know it’s the same mileage but helps at the end on the way down...

Very busy (as expected) but fun trails. We do a lot of hiking so this was pretty easy. Great summits on both.