Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain via Cascade Mountain Trail

Cascade Mountain and Porter Mountain via Cascade Mountain Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Cascade Mountain Trail is a popular hiking trail to access Porter Mountain and Cascade Mountain peaks. The trail is exposed and steep with easy rock scrambles along the way. Hikers will be treated to amazing views and a waterfall on their way up. The summit can be crowded during the summer months. The trail is a popular destination for Lake Placid hikers and ski enthusiasts. Check the weather before going as cold conditions and sudden weather changes are frequent. The trailhead can be reached from Route 73 before reaching Cascade Lakes.

This was still a bit wet and muddy especially on the porter break off, but it was a beautiful day and a well traveled trail so you will not get lost at all.

Hiked on June 17th. I'd suggesting starting really early to beat the crowd. views from Cascade were amazing. Porter, not so much. But a great hike and a good start to the ADK 46er quest!

My friend and I hiked on 6/15/18, it was our first high peak experience. We are definitely novice hikers! The trail was easy to follow but definitely muddy in a lot of areas. Going to Porter is worth it, but do it before Cascade. We were very tired at the end! Descending took more out of us than anticipated. Overall it was enjoyable!

good

Great trails, Cascade has absolutely amazing views and Porter is limited due to vegetation. Porter trail is also very muddy. Highlight is definitely Cascade, where you can see Whiteface very clearly off in the distance above the clouds, very cool.

I just got back from the hike. Know that this is your leg day workout. There are lots of rocks and steps as you climb up, and some real scrambling as you get near the summit. It starts of easy but get's more difficult as you get to the summit. The trail was pretty muddy, especially closer to the top. I did this hike with my 8 year old shihtzu. It's a workout, but doable and the getting to the summit makes it all worth it. The views are breath taking. Just spectacular!

P.S. There is an overlook as you reach the top, however that is not the summit of Cascade Mountain. keep following the trail to get there.

We hiked this in the pouring rain and it was awesome. It was one of our first mountains, and definitely not for beginners. Can’t wait to get back up there to do Porter.

Predictably wet all the way up. Despite a big crowds at the top and bottom, I didn't really notice too much congestion on the trail. Great views (weather permitting) and a really fun hike. I came recommend a good set of waterproof boots enough. In addition to water crossings and muddy trails you'll do a fair bit of scrambling over boulders on your way up to the top.

I only did Cascade this week as I did it and Porter last year. Great hike. I went on a Wednesday and had the mountain to myself. I highly suggest going mid week as opposed to the weekend. I also suggest that if you're planning on doing this trail, then do it now (2018) as it is highly likely that DEC will be moving the trailhead in the near future... turning this into a 10 mile hike.

It was awesome being alone at the Summit and watching the clouds roll in from the Great Range.

Great trail! Took the jaunt to Porter first (muddy trail at this time) and then over to Cascade. Glad my bro and I went Porter first cuz the final view at Cascade was the perfect finish to a great hike. Definitely recommend it!

Outstanding view from the top. A bit muddy going up. Will need hiking boots. The normal running sneaker wont cut it. Plenty of parking. Gets busy around 9-10am. Expect to sweat as it is an uphill rock scramble type trail nearly the whole way. I am in decent cardio shape and didnt have an issue. Will be sore after though!

Hiked both peaks June 8, 2018. Beautiful day upper 60's. Good challenge if your in shape. Took us 6 hours with 30 minutes on each summit. Great views from Cascade.

Great intro to the high peaks. You can skip Porter if you need to. Unless, of course, you’re bagging peaks.

Loved this hike; great for a start to the year. Moderately challenging hike but with a big pay off!

Spectacular View! Only challenge is that too rocky. Hiked with two 8 year old kids. It took us about 3 hrs to get to the top.

I did this with a group of friends in November. It was a challenging climb particularly as it got icier in the last 100-200 meters elevation but absolutely worth it. The views from the top were stunning. It was very busy though and it wasn't even the peak season.

One of my favorite hikes I’ve ever done! It was an absolutely perfect day weather wise and the trail is a beautiful walk through the woods for most. Did Porter first and glad I did. The trail was a little muddy, but nothing a good pair of shoes can’t handle, and the trail isn’t marked but easy to follow. Me and a few others ended up walking past the summit though (Its the second big boulder you come to) but Cascade is where the real beauty is. Amazing 360° views and worth every step to get there. (2nd and 3rd 46ers 5/30/18)

Hiked on 5/29 and had a great time! Nice peak to start off on. Porter was very muddy but well worth it.

As someone who mostly hikes Western mountain ranges, I was a little disappointed in this trail. Mostly, I was disappointed that there were really no good views up the entire trail, so I assume the good views are at the summit... but we got to within a very short distance of the summit and it started to rain so we had to turn back. I agree with the moderate rating- I went with a friend who had to stop and rest a lot and struggled with the larger step ups.

This was my first high peak hike ever and it was perfect for getting acclimated to the Adirondacks. My boyfriend and I hiked this on 5/29 at a pretty quick pace- we didn’t time ourselves but we estimated it took us a little less than 2 hours to get to the summit of Cascade. The hike seemed a little daunting at times but it was easier than it looked. we hiked to Porter after Cascade and it was pretty muddy but well worth the additional .7 miles. We started hiking earlier in the AM and there was way less foot traffic which was nice. Definitely would recommend!

Amazing hike weather was always sunny in the pocket above where we treaded, up to porter first then cascace, both spectacular views, slightly muddy, but dont let that discourage you, total trip was 7 hour top to bottom. with an hour spent at porter, and another hour and a half at cascade, rained for a quick 10 minutes after being at summit for an hour, total hike time =2 hour ascent, 2hr 16 min descent(quite slippery) all in all it was my best hiking experience ever! difficulty = on the line of easy and moderate. Good luck to all! happy trails! God bless

Hiked out to Porter first on a recommendation from passing hikers. Too much cloud coverage to see anything below. Hiked back to Cascade and got to take in the views between the passing cloud coverage.

Great hike! The view from the top of Cascade was breathtaking. The mud wasn't terrible on Cascade but going up Porter it was a bit muddier. The view from Porter not nearly as nice as Cascade.

Great hike!! Did both peaks, took 5 hours at an easy pace with a long rest on top of cascade. Our 14 year old could have taken a third off that time. Our 12 year old set our pace though. Views on cascade were wonderful!!! Trail to Porter was very muddy, but easily manageable. As other reviewers mention, do Porter first, it’d be anti-climactic after Cascade. Cascade was worth every step.

Much harder hike that we anticipated but we gasped (literally) when we reached the summit with its 360 degree views. We did this hike 7 years ago and have it on our list again for this summer. (Thinking our 11 year old lab won't be able to handle it, though.) Definitely knock off Porter as long as you're up there (9/10 mile to Porter).

Breathtaking view! Worth all the effort.

Great Hike on a beautiful morning. I suggest leaving early this time of year, without leaves on the trees by the end the sun was really coming through. Easy to follow trail and luckily went on a good weekday and only saw a one group on the way up and a few on the way down. Trail to Porter was icy and muddy, spikes were helpful. Cascade is where the real beauty is, save more time to spend up there on a nice day. Highly recommended this hike for inexperienced hikers (like myself).

Cascade was an easy hike with great views, there was some ice and mud, but nothing to be alarmed about. Going towards Porter after the Y intersection was not as great - very muddy, icy, and flooded. I would recommend staying off of Porter for the next few weeks.

Great hike! I was expecting it to be much more difficult than it was. It was a foggy day, so o didn't get to enjoy the views. (last July 2017) I have to go home it again on a nice bright, sunny day