Carpenter Falls (3 falls)

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(136)
Carpenter Falls Unique Area

Carpenter Falls (3 falls) is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Marietta, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.1 miles Elevation Gain: 193 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail is slightly complicated. Part of the path is off trail and you will have to walk in the creek as there are no sides along it. Views are amazing but there is some dangerous climbing. Hikers mentioned that the other waterfalls are tedious and steep.

Great hike my 6 year old did good, a little to hard for my 4 year old.

The hike was tough. The trail was sketchy in some parts. Definitely need good shoes. I wouldn't walk it if it has recently rained.

Nice falls. Most of the trail was well maintained and shaded by trees. Closer to the falls, the trail gets narrow and rocky.

With an 8 year old and 5 year old we held hands 90% of the time. It was not a clear path in certain areas. Muddy near the falls that we did not even try to go down the falls it was way to risky. There was a section that was nice near water the kids stopped and played but to walk there was not the best.

Hi Tory, I’m Ryan.

Do not follow this guide. It takes you into a creek that's nearly impossible to hike through unless there's no water running. The waterfall is beautiful though. Just follow the sign for carpenter falls and it'll take you right there.

Took my boys today to practice on our new leash, if the bearded guy who watched us go down to the water is on here. Hey, I’m Tory

Tough navigating with 2 dogs on leash but we were able to get down to the falls. It was beautiful and the pups loved the water!

VERY adventuresome. be careful. but enjoy a hike that includes crawling and climbing roots. sliding on butt and amazing waterfalls. we have gone the .01 mile and it was the hardest to get to falls. must use rope there to cross. then the 1 mile trail is amazing but straight down on roots to falls. not for the elderly. lots of roots to trip on. then we took the other trail and it led us to skantelles lake. intense. not moderate. possiblly the hardest but most rewarding adventurous trail. teenagers paradise

Really beautiful and difficult hike. Last time I went here, a fellow hiker fell down the side of the gorge and we all thought he was dead. He was banged up and bloody but ended up being okay. Be careful and I would not recommend bringing children or dogs. You cannot see the falls up close without navigating this very treacherous part.

recorded Carpenter Falls (3 falls)

On Fort Drum Military Ruck March.

Trail down to the falls is nice but bring hiking poles, the journey down to the water is very steep and very slippy. I lost my footing once or twice. Definitely worth the descent, the falls are amazing.

Nice trail that leads to Preserve land down to Skaneateles lake.

Loved this hike. Get adventurous halfway down the trail and head down to the water -very steep, but very rewarding. Hit Carpenter Falls after the loop as a nice place to sit and enjoy.

Very steep! Areas that are treacherous so be sure someone knows where you are! But with some bravery the views are spectacular! Was a bit muddy at parts. Took the trail to the lake too and got caught in a downpour but it was a relief from the warmth and humidity! I did this trail about 3 weeks ago FYI in mid June 2019.

Great trail. There is a giant waterfall 5mins from the parking lot. From that fall you can take the gully down to several other waterfalls. There are ropes where you can descend at each of the waterfalls. At the end there is a waterfall that is at least 30 feet tall. You cannot go down anymore from here but you can climb up the side of the gully using the tree roots to take you back onto the main white trail. You can follow the white trail to the lake as well. Nice quick hike!

private property

The main trail is pretty moderate and short, but if you want to see the falls, you’ll h e to scramble down some muddy hills. I went alone so I didn’t test my luck and walk the creek. I just scrambled down the first hill to the main falls, and then the second. I’m not sure where that third waterfall is. Some parts of the trail isn’t well kept, but that’s fine. With older shoes I slid a bit down the hills to see he falls, so make sure you have adequate tread and ankle support. There are many roots to hold onto on your way down. It was a fun hike - I’ll have to go back with better shoes (bring an extra pair that you can keep dry!) and friends to try the creek walk to find that third set of falls. When I took the main trail it ended up between homes on a private drive, and even though you end up at the lake, you’re not allowed to swim in the water which is unfortunate.