Candlewood Hill Trail

Candlewood Hill Trail is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Dennytown, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice short hike with decent elevation. View at the top is just okay. Old Sunken Mine Road is all gravel and very narrow. You might want to park outside and walk your way in.

First of all, I used the link to the directions to the trailhead thinking there was another way to get there other than the way I already knew. I should have known better. They led me to some scary, narrow gravel roads in the middle of some day camp so I back tracked and went back the 6 miles out of my way to Dennytown Road, where I took the usual road (that is unmarked and only identified by a gate) COMPLETELY beaten up so you better have a decent SUV that you're willing to drive really slowly along this very long, crazy, narrow road to the trailhead). The views from this trail are absolutely breathtaking and only about 1/4 mile from the trailhead, even including a little rock scrambling. Once you reach the view though and continue to follow the red trail into the woods, it's terribly boring. And EVERY TIME I GO HERE, the red trail seems to suddenly end and I can't find it so I barrel down the hill, over rocks, tree limbs and leaves until I meet the trail again. For the life of me, I cannot find where this red trail continues about 1/2 mile into the woods. Once you get down and back on the red trail, it intersects with a private road with homes (which is odd and just weird) with a gravel road running parallel, with yellow signs saying it's owned by NYS. Then it gets really boring back to the main road, where you turn right and walk another 1/2 mile back to your car. But I continue to do this hike because it's close to home, it's quiet and the views at the top are totally worth it, especially in Fall. So, if you're looking for a quick hike with great views, this is it. And I've never seen another hiker on this trail in all the times I've done it. It's like a great little secret....if you can find it!

This short hike is exactly what I needed on a hot and humid afternoon. Started hike from the sunken mine rd trailhead...reached the gorgeous view within .3 miles of the start. Continued on the red blazed trail until I reached Bell Hollow rd..take a right and follow Bell Hollow until you hit Sunken Mine rd again. Be advised that this part of the trail is unmarked.. just hike clockwise. There is another viewing spot a short distance after getting back on Sunken MIne rd.

lost trail markets. ended up on Bell Hollow Rd and Sunken Mine Rd. saw no makers.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017