Buttermilk Brook - Bear Slides

Buttermilk Brook - Bear Slides is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Warrensburg, New York that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 337 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Fun little hike. We only did to the bear slides and back (about halfway). There is a big hill towards the beginning that was pretty intense. We were dying but we aren’t in great shape lol. It was worth it because the slides were so cool and beautiful. I would recommend bug spray.

I thought this was absolutely perfect for kids. Did this with my almost 3 year old son, husband and 8 month old baby in backpack. Rather steep hill at the beginning. A bit difficult finding the actual trailhead. I recommend using the AllTrails app to find it. The rocky stream was wonderful for the 2 year old, the “bear slides” were really wonderful to see and the views of the Hudson River during the drive to the trail head were cool. FYI zero cell signal in the area!

Great easy trail with a fair view of the falls. Due to the recent rainfall some of the trail where the tree roots are are slippery.

Very fun place. Not a long hike, but the bear slide is really cool. We found a set of keys. I plan to take them to the dealership next week- but let me know if they could be yours.

the first hill is a killer but it's worth it

Beautiful trail along 1/2 mile of slides and cascades!

nice easy trail. There is a fairly steep hill at the beginning. This time of year still some snow and ice on the trail but still manageable.

Thursday, August 30, 2018

great easy trail and easy hike with a brook to cool off in at the halfway point. we lucked out going on a Wednesday and were the only ones on the trail all day. it was a little hard to find and the only marker was a sign for the campsite. coming down river road pass the large turnaround for the tube busses and go a couple hundred yards past this to the nexr pull off on the right . there will be a small sign that says #6 parking . this is the trail head. the first part is straight up a hill on a washed out jeep road and the most strenuous part of the whole trail the rest is a slow incline next to the brook, bring a swim suit if you like.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

This was so much fun to do with our family! I gave it only 3 stars for two reasons. One, it was almost a half hour before we could find the actual trail. We parked near the local tubing drop off/pick up site is and then there are many campsites and what look like hangout spots. There is a small gravel road back to more parking, which leads to some camping spots and then the trail back. Look for that dirt/gravel road back to find the trail. Secondly, the trail in was gross. Trash everywhere, piles of old dog bags near picnic tables, clearly not maintained. It was also clear it was a party spot, which I am always nervous to bring children to. Once at the slide it was awesome. We had hours of fun, spots were like mini pools where the kids could play and swim, just a neat spot. People had brought tubes and were sliding down parts of it. I would recommend but just be prepared, wish people would take care of the world a little better.

Monday, August 07, 2017

Short trail that connects River Road to the upper unnamed jeep trail. It starts off with a big hill, but the rest of the trail isn't very steep. In the middle of the hike are the bear slides were you can slide down the rocks into the pool at the bottom. Can be busy on hot days.

Sunday, July 22, 2018